• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Swift: In-Cab Cameras

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
I can longer, in good conscience, recommend Swift as a decent starter company. At one time, it was an excellent place to get started for many reasons, one of which was, they expected you to do your job with minimal supervision. You were given all the tools you needed to make your end of the bargain happen. If you screwed up, it was on you, but it wasn't because the company didn't offer you training.

They are now in the process of placing cameras in every company truck, across the board. These cameras will face both outward, at the road and inward, at you, the driver. I cannot give any positive support for this decision to keep a driver under constant surveillance. It's not fair to expect someone who is supposed to be trusted enough to haul millions of dollars worth of freight to be subjected to the added stress of this intrusion. It does not matter what excuses the executives come up with to justify this. It is not RIGHT.

I have heard everything from "It only activates when there's an event" to "It'll protect the driver (and company) from malicious claims" to "It'll reduce insurance rates" to "If you have nothing to hide..." That last one is particularly offensive to me. If you think your employee has something to hide, you need to get rid of him or her and hire someone you can trust.

Tell ya what, Swift executives: Let me put cameras up all over your house. They'll only activate if there's a loud noise or some other undescribed event to set it off. It's for your own protection, so that if something happens, police and/or fire response will be more rapid and they'll know what to expect when they get there. Don't worry. If you're having particularly boisterous sex with your spouse, the video feed will be deleted...but only after several unidentified "officials" watch it to make sure that's all that's going on. Wouldn't want a prowler-rapist to get away with it, now, would we? Aw, c'mon! You don't have anything to hide, do you?

Oh...privacy? Not my problem.

Nope. Just avoid this company if you don't want a camera in your face all the time. I sure as hell don't.

Sometimes easier said than done. If it is otherwise a good job, you gotta gauge where this is going long term. pointless to walk away from a job, to a potentially worse job, only to find out 6 months later they are getting the cameras as well.

The trucking industry won't fight this. A few articles will be written, and some whining will take place online, but this industry will not stand up to this.

that income has to be replaced.
These guys are rich!! They don't need a job. The job needs them.

Same people crying said the same about elogs, automatics, 14 hr rule, and reset crap, but I guess this place would be boring without them.

"Super truckers" & steering wheel holders are pretty much the same thing.

It's a shame that you haven't figured that based on the context in which the term is most often used.
Well my friend I don't follow the penut gallery's terminology. You ...... Oh Ya be nice. Call stupid truckers super? So what do you call good truckers? Beside holier than thou, Saints, goody too shoes. You mediocre steeringwheel holders don't want to see people excell. You want them to be just like you. Luke warm dime a dozen blow hards. That as you see can be easily replaced with 90 day wanna be's. Then you wAnt to push your chest out like some company gives a hot milky double espresso crap what you want pointed in your face. I call good drivers super and I call non thinking people who hold the wheel steering wheel holders. Please don't make me have to explain this to you tomorrow.

The trucking industry won't fight this. A few articles will be written, and some whining will take place online, but this industry will not stand up to this.
That's because the industry is full of pacifists who won't stick up for themselves.

Well my friend I don't follow the penut gallery's terminology. You ...... Oh Ya be nice. Call stupid truckers super? So what do you call good truckers? Beside holier than thou, Saints, goody too shoes. You mediocre steeringwheel holders don't want to see people excell. You want them to be just like you. Luke warm dime a dozen blow hards. That as you see can be easily replaced with 90 day wanna be's. Then you wAnt to push your chest out like some company gives a hot milky double espresso crap what you want pointed in your face. I call good drivers super and I call non thinking people who hold the wheel steering wheel holders. Please don't make me have to explain this to you tomorrow.
Go to Google & type "sarcasm".

"Super truckers" is a sarcastic term for idiots who think they're super, but are actually just seat warmers.

I'm sorry you never picked up on the sarcastic use of the term.

Go to Google & type "sarcasm".

"Super truckers" is a sarcastic term for idiots who think they're super, but are actually just seat warmers.

I'm sorry you never picked up on the sarcastic use of the term.

It's funny as hell to hear somebody call themselves 'Supertrucker,' ain't it? Like it's a good thing...:biglaugh:

Why else would they have included a clip of a driver eating a sandwich while driving, but nothing in the split screen showing the forward view of the road that would have triggered a critical event? It was in a propaganda video shown to me at Magnum orientation last year.
Other drivers have reported getting phone calls for "distracted driving" after the camera uploaded something without there being any trigger event.

So basically your saying you have no proof at all. Or, are you saying Swift made public a video of a driver eating a sandwich so other companies can use it as a training tool?

Or!!!! You heard it first hand from a guy who's brothers uncles roommate at college dated a girl who knew a driver from Swift? Ya, I'll bet that's it.

So basically your saying you have no proof at all. Or, are you saying Swift made public a video of a driver eating a sandwich so other companies can use it as a training tool?
I saw a video of a bunch of "incidents" put together by DriveCam. Most were accidents. It was shown on a big screen TV at orientation at Magnum. I saw it with my own eyes. He was eating a sandwich on one half of the split screen, and on the other half of the screen, nothing happened to trigger an event.

Also - in addition to seeing it with my own eyes- heard it from a few others first hand, and a few others who heard it from their brother's mail man'dog's veterinarian's wife's hairdresser's husband.

Quit being a troll.

The dog in that pic is blind & has mange. Go to Google & type "world's ugliest dog".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread