maddmaxx63 needs a 20 thread.

Sinister

pari animositate
Provided we can get past his age and senility level, and the fact that he snores really loud, and forgets the site name for the last three years, and has the attention span of a housefly...and has a tendency to gravitate toward crappy beer.... hopefully we can get @maddmaxx63 to post on the forum here and there.

man, that's rough. I remember important things like where tasty eating places or whose boobs were in what show. important worth remembering. Now 'lets talk about snoring and nocturnal gas after ingesting large amounts of cheap beer. NASTY, even maid would not enter.

Couple of questions you could ask the windmill guys:
1. Why izzit that whenever you see one of the big windfarms in Iowa, etc there are often only two or three turning and the rest are locked?
2. when bolting up the blades, what happens if one of them is one bolthole off true with the other 2?
3. If you installed the blades backwards and reversed the wires on the generator would you then have a big fan?

Couple of questions you could ask the windmill guys:
1. Why izzit that whenever you see one of the big windfarms in Iowa, etc there are often only two or three turning and the rest are locked?

Wind farms have qoutas about how much power they can and should generate. The turbine you see not turning may be: a) down for maintenance b) may have already generated it's quota.

2. when bolting up the blades, what happens if one of them is one bolthole off true with the other 2?

To my knowledge this doesn't happen. Even when we deliver pieces to pads several days before construction there's a set pattern as to where the base, lower mid, upper mid, top, nacelle, and parts go. It's pretty uniform.

3. If you installed the blades backwards and reversed the wires on the generator would you then have a big fan?

I actually met someone once who asked me why it had been so windy lately, and if the windmills generating electric was the problem.

I'm not kidding.

Wind farms have qoutas about how much power they can and should generate. The turbine you see not turning may be: a) down for maintenance b) may have already generated it's quota.

To my knowledge this doesn't happen. Even when we deliver pieces to pads several days before construction there's a set pattern as to where the base, lower mid, upper mid, top, nacelle, and parts go. It's pretty uniform.

I actually met someone once who asked me why it had been so windy lately, and if the windmills generating electric was the problem.

I'm not kidding.

Oh, I know you're not. About on a par with the guy who asked if I was hauling milk in that tanker with all the skull and crossbones placards on it. :D

The fan thing is from a favorite musing of mine. Have you ever noticed the similar construction of a generator motor and an electric motor? Both have basically the same case, field coils, stators, brushes, etc. One uses motion to produce electricity from magnetic fields, the other uses electricity to form magnetic fields which turns the stator and produces motion. Opposite sides of the coin so to speak.

Sooooo..... if you could hook em up backwards might you be able to produce wind? Imagine... big storm (tornado, hurricane, etc) approaching. Fire up a bunch of "big fans" and blow that rascal right back where it came from. :yahoo::biglaugh:

And lastly, I do expect they's careful about bolting stuff together. But if you've been around machinery long enough you know that there's always some yutz who will assemble stuff one tooth or bolthole off true. ;)

BTW, if the bolt those blades on up there, what do they pay the guys who do it? Them has gotta be some seriously crazy dudes.

BTW, if the bolt those blades on up there, what do they pay the guys who do it? Them has gotta be some seriously crazy dudes.
]
The hub and rotor is assembled on the ground and the hub and blades are listed and atteched to the nacelle all at once.

Kinda hammereed right now but lemme see if I can find a pic...

Sinister said:
I plan routes, figure out curfew times, whether or not I can make them, plan fuel stops, whether or not I have to drop the trailer to fuel, where I can do so, email dispatch with updates, and if I'm lucky I get to relax a while.

I think it's just SO CUTE some of you guys think that when the truck stops moving the day is over. Owner operators are calculating numbers, revenue, fuel mileage, rates, etc.....

us specialized folks are doing a million other things, and you just think..."nothing to it." Trucks stopped. Days over.

Not the case.

Heh. Got news for ya. It ain't always that simple.

But it's SO CUTE that you think that myopic crap. SOOOO cute!!

We all know what you oversize drivers do the minute the truck stops moving for the night.

:couch::beer::cheers::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
Kinda hammereed right now but lemme see if I can find a pic...
LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

So, we must get off oil dependency, but only partially, LOL. This makes about as much sense as growing crops and plowing them under while people starve all over the world.

So, we must get off oil dependency, but only partially, LOL. This makes about as much sense as growing crops and plowing them under while people starve all over the world.
I think the quotas might have something to do with the power grids.

The power grids are designed the exact opposite of what wind farms require.

Before wind, power was produced in big coal & nuke plants near big cities. Lots of electrical infrastructure around there to distribute the power to where most of it is needed.

Rural areas like where I live don't have a heavy duty grid. The wires on the poles that supply my place, ... get this, ... are solid STEEL wires, copper-coated, .... about 16 gauge. At 10,000 volts, the amperage is low enough those little wires can handle enough current to supply the handful of residences on that line.

Put a whole wind farm on those wires & it just ain't gonna carry it. So unless the wind farm is close enough to some high tension wires that carry like 200,000 volts or something & they have a substation there to bump their voltage up that high & match the phases or whatever they gotta do to tie into them, they're limited by how much they can produce.

I think they put more wind turbines on a wind farm than the grid can handle when they're all running at peak so they can still produce their max allowable amount in lighter winds. In stronger winds they'll have to shut a few of them down.

In REALLY high winds, they shut them all down, feather the blades & lock them with a brake or something just to keep the things from spinning so fast the blades fly off from centrifugal force.

Well...
are you just gonna leave us hangin'??
:stare1:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread