Owner Operator Keep Truckin changed its name to Motive, and its pricing is changing as well.

Mike

A quick history lesson on KeepTruckin.

I signed up in 2017 for $360/year for their ELD+ which gave me what I needed for IFTA as well as my ELD.

A year or so later, they approached me with their dashcam, and after discussing it with them, I chose to upgrade my account.

The new account total was $600. This included the required upgrade to a cellular ELD in order to be able to use the dashcam, also came with some internet access as well.

I ignored this going forward and simply paid the bill.

In 2020, I got an invoice for $600, ignored the details, and just let it autopay on my credit card. What I didn't notice is that the dashcam subscription went from $120 to $480. They had reduced the cost of my ELD, then applied a discount to my account which kept me at $600. Since I paid the same as expected, didn't realize anything was going on.

In 2021, almost the same thing as 2020, but my invoice was $690. It was basically a bill for $960, and a discount that got it down to $690. So much going on in my life at that point that I didn't even notice that I was charged more. Wife didn't notice either and simply inputed the cost into our accounting software without noticing it was more expensive than the previous year. Most things like this would be set up in accounting software as a subscription and the original amount would be used. At least glad we didn't do that.

This year, they approach me with their latest offers. They want to upgrade my dashcam, and they will give that to me for free. It will only increase my yearly bill by $120.

Then they give me the total subscription cost of $1020.

This was pushed off to me as if I was getting temporary promotional deals and that my price at renewal this year would be $900 even if I changed nothing.

I snapped on the inside and tried to remain composed on the outside.

Ultimately, I failed in regard to composure.

My renewal comes in September, so I needed to figure things out.

I quickly started comparing prices while fighting with these folks about pricing.

Over the course of the week, I ended up sticking with KeepTruckin, now Motive.

I was able to get the services I agreed to cheaper than what I could get them with quality competitors and locked it into a 3-year agreement so they can't jack up the prices at all during that timeframe.

Maybe not such a quick story, but the bottom line here is to watch your costs closely. Prices are being jacked up quickly, and the one thing that allowed me the leverage to fight this cost down is that I was never given any notice of the price increases.

The Indian guy who convinced me to get the dashcam/eld package did something similar with discounts that made the dashcam part basically free. I never installed the dashcam and have no idea what the real costs will be at renewal.

I feel like I'll probably be canceling the entire thing by then because I'm going fetal on the own authority thing.

The Indian guy who convinced me to get the dashcam/eld package did something similar with discounts that made the dashcam part basically free. I never installed the dashcam and have no idea what the real costs will be at renewal.

I feel like I'll probably be canceling the entire thing by then because I'm going fetal on the own authority thing.

The subscription for the dashcam went from $120 to $480 overnight basically, and not it is going to $600 if you pay full price. That is JUST. FOR. THE. ELD. SUBSCRIPTION.

Yeah, I was a little upset....

There was some back handed crap going on with the discounts to sneak this in on the old subscribers.

I'm locked in til 2025, will see where the ELD market is at that point.

The subscription for the dashcam went from $120 to $480 overnight basically, and not it is going to $600 if you pay full price. That is JUST. FOR. THE. ELD. SUBSCRIPTION.

Yeah, I was a little upset....

There was some back handed crap going on with the discounts to sneak this in on the old subscribers.

I'm locked in til 2025, will see where the ELD market is at that point.
I'll probably be like f u and throw it in a box. Lol.

I'm a leased bitch now and as long as they don't change anything I'm their *****.

I'll probably be like f u and throw it in a box. Lol.

I'm a leased bitch now and as long as they don't change anything I'm their *****.

It will change. As the spot market crashes, the contract market follows. Spot market goes back up, contract market follows. But, that's for another thread. This one is about being ripped off by ELD providers, LOL.

It will change. As the spot market crashes, the contract market follows. Spot market goes back up, contract market follows. But, that's for another thread. This one is about being ripped off by ELD providers, LOL.
Hey it's related because I'm on their JJ Keller garbage.

A quick history lesson on KeepTruckin.

I signed up in 2017 for $360/year for their ELD+ which gave me what I needed for IFTA as well as my ELD.

A year or so later, they approached me with their dashcam, and after discussing it with them, I chose to upgrade my account.

The new account total was $600. This included the required upgrade to a cellular ELD in order to be able to use the dashcam, also came with some internet access as well.

I ignored this going forward and simply paid the bill.

In 2020, I got an invoice for $600, ignored the details, and just let it autopay on my credit card. What I didn't notice is that the dashcam subscription went from $120 to $480. They had reduced the cost of my ELD, then applied a discount to my account which kept me at $600. Since I paid the same as expected, didn't realize anything was going on.

In 2021, almost the same thing as 2020, but my invoice was $690. It was basically a bill for $960, and a discount that got it down to $690. So much going on in my life at that point that I didn't even notice that I was charged more. Wife didn't notice either and simply inputed the cost into our accounting software without noticing it was more expensive than the previous year. Most things like this would be set up in accounting software as a subscription and the original amount would be used. At least glad we didn't do that.

This year, they approach me with their latest offers. They want to upgrade my dashcam, and they will give that to me for free. It will only increase my yearly bill by $120.

Then they give me the total subscription cost of $1020.

This was pushed off to me as if I was getting temporary promotional deals and that my price at renewal this year would be $900 even if I changed nothing.

I snapped on the inside and tried to remain composed on the outside.

Ultimately, I failed in regard to composure.

My renewal comes in September, so I needed to figure things out.

I quickly started comparing prices while fighting with these folks about pricing.

Over the course of the week, I ended up sticking with KeepTruckin, now Motive.

I was able to get the services I agreed to cheaper than what I could get them with quality competitors and locked it into a 3-year agreement so they can't jack up the prices at all during that timeframe.

Maybe not such a quick story, but the bottom line here is to watch your costs closely. Prices are being jacked up quickly, and the one thing that allowed me the leverage to fight this cost down is that I was never given any notice of the price increases.
What's the point of the dash cam service? Can't you just stick a Gopro on the windshield? You own the damn company. Who do you need to rat yourself out to?

What's the point of the dash cam service? Can't you just stick a Gopro on the windshield? You own the damn company. Who do you need to rat yourself out to?
It's paying $zero for the dashcam itself and the memory card. It's not having to worry about checking and replacing the memory card when it decides to screw up, or finding out that it was messed up when you actually needed it. KeepTruckin alerts you to no activity on the dashcam.

It's having a 3rd party handling the dashcam, and having that dashcam integrated with your ELD software. Eliminates the arguments that the system was tampered with if you ever have to go to court. Speed, braking, and any other factor the ELD software monitors is matched up perfectly with the footage.

It's not for everyone. Some prefer to not trust having a dashcam in case of an accident. I would rather have that info supporting me. 99.9% chance that indisputable evidence will help me in an accident rather than hurt me.

Mandates are coming down the pipe for this.

It's paying $zero for the dashcam itself and the memory card. It's not having to worry about checking and replacing the memory card when it decides to screw up, or finding out that it was messed up when you actually needed it. KeepTruckin alerts you to no activity on the dashcam.

It's having a 3rd party handling the dashcam, and having that dashcam integrated with your ELD software. Eliminates the arguments that the system was tampered with if you ever have to go to court. Speed, braking, and any other factor the ELD software monitors is matched up perfectly with the footage.

It's not for everyone. Some prefer to not trust having a dashcam in case of an accident. I would rather have that info supporting me. 99.9% chance that indisputable evidence will help me in an accident rather than hurt me.

Mandates are coming down the pipe for this.
Does it have the inside camera too?

Does it have the inside camera too?

My new one will, but with a privacy feature to keep it turned off as the fleet owner.

Mandate is coming.

I guess that settles the question of whether or not I'll go back to trucking. 🙄
Yeah, if cameras are your concern, best to never go back to work again. Cameras are everywhere, in just about any job you are in. Trucking is no different.

People working in offices have them pointing at them all day long. Trucking is going to be the same way. It's a company office, not just a truck. Those days are long gone.

This is why I have the KT/Motive dashcam still in the box. I never installed it because I already have a dashcam that records in much better non--potato quality.

The crappy dashcam they provide isn't really helpful, and I only have it because it was free.

This is why I have the KT/Motive dashcam still in the box. I never installed it because I already have a dashcam that records in much better non--potato quality.

The crappy dashcam they provide isn't really helpful, and I only have it because it was free.

I have my own cameras set up for actual footage that I can use, but not footage to protect me.

I mean, I will use side footage and stuff that I have to help my cause if needed, but that isn't why I have it.

I have my own cameras set up for actual footage that I can use, but not footage to protect me.

I mean, I will use side footage and stuff that I have to help my cause if needed, but that isn't why I have it.
My real dashcam records all the time so your post sounds like verbal diarrhea to me. The KT dashcam isn't going to capture anything the always-on camera doesn't.

My real dashcam records all the time so your post sounds like verbal diarrhea to me. The KT dashcam isn't going to capture anything the always-on camera doesn't.

I addressed what you said.

If you end up in court, there is a fight to prove your data is accurate and not manipulated. Having this data in the hands of a 3rd party helps your cause. Somebody with a tiny bit more knowledge than you are I can manipulate dash cam footage, if that footage was never in your hands, then it's easier to use it and to have it stand up in court. Talking about major incidents, not fender benders.

Unless you are at fault, then you are screwed and the footage would be better left unknown.

If you end up in court, there is a fight to prove your data is accurate and not manipulated. Having this data in the hands of a 3rd party helps your cause. Somebody with a tiny bit more knowledge than you are I can manipulate dash cam footage, if that footage was never in your hands, then it's easier to use it and to have it stand up in court. Talking about major incidents, not fender benders.

Unless you are at fault, then you are screwed and the footage would be better left unknown.
You don't have to prove your data isn't manipulated if it's not manipulated.

Yeah, if cameras are your concern, best to never go back to work again. Cameras are everywhere, in just about any job you are in. Trucking is no different.

People working in offices have them pointing at them all day long. Trucking is going to be the same way. It's a company office, not just a truck. Those days are long gone.
Only in transportation can you be fired, fined, or put in a gulag for glancing in the wrong direction 30 seconds prior to someone else causing an accident.

It's not hard to authenticate an unaltered dash cam video. They have experts for that.

The problem is you have to trust the police not to "misplace" the memory card when they're the ones writing the citations the video would exonerate you of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread