Truckers Health Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the cardiovascular system.

quillcom

Now that I found this place again thought I give a shout-out. Thought this would be a good time seeing the previous post.

Olive oil is truly a superfood. I previously sang its praises on here as it was the only thing that totally got rid of a stubborn boil I had.

But it has so many more benefits. First I will tell you the benfits I have seen in my use of it on a daily bases.

Olive oil can be safely eaten with every meal (two tablespoons/day is recommended.). I will generally either pour it over my hot dish or just mix it with my beverage.

At 6'1" and a buck ninety I'm trying to stay under 200. I have noticed when I slack off the daily intake of olive oil that I inch ever so closer to 200.....

"Olive oil is packed with monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA). These fatty acids along with keeping your heart healthy and blood sugar levels stable also help assist weight loss. It promotes the feeling of satiety, which prevents you from bingeing on other refined or trans-fat sources laden with empty calories." Weight Loss: Here's How Olive Oil May Help Promote Weight Loss

Also although I have never had HBP, I have noticed that it is signicantly lower when I daily take in Olive oil....

"The most important finding in this study is that the daily use of olive oil, about 40 grams per day, markedly reduces the dosage of [blood pressure medication] by about 50% in hypertensive patients on a previously stable drug dosage," says L. Aldo Ferrara, MD, associate professor of internal medicine at the Frederico II University of Naples in Naples, Italy, and the study's lead author." Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Reduces Need for Blood Pressure Medication

Now theres a lot of varieties of olive oil so do your homework and buy Extra virgin that is certified.
It will have a seal of certification that will look like this....
ev2.png
Now there may be other brands saying extra virgin but they may not truly be unless you see a seal similar to this.

There are so many other health benefits that space and time will not permit so I will stop here and just say give this suprfood a try, your heart will thank you.

P.S. sticky? for a while.

we generally use olive oil for the "Italian style" tuna salad, or "Spaghetti aglio e olio", or as a mix with vinegar for salad dressing.

other than that, we don't use it for much of anything else.

we generally use olive oil for the "Italian style" tuna salad, or "Spaghetti aglio e olio", or as a mix with vinegar for salad dressing.

other than that, we don't use it for much of anything else.
I used regular olive oil (the slutty, non virgin kind) as a substitute for butter in a box noodles thing. About the only difference I noticed was it didn't stick to the pan.

I oughta try making Italian dressing with it. But I'd use a hell of a lot more than 4 measly stinkin' tablespoons.

I oughta try making Italian dressing with it. But I'd use a hell of a lot more than 4 measly stinkin' tablespoons.
Yeah although they recommend only 2 tablspoons/day I generally consume twice that or more.

I use I when I make Mayo. We also use it as our cooking oil for just about everything that needs cooking oil. It is a very healthy fat.

It’s either that, grass fed butter, coconut oil, or avocado oil when cooking/eating.

Thought I'd throw this up

List of the benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (sourced findings)
1. Works as an anti-inflammatory
2. Boosts hair and skin health
3. Protects against diabetes
4. Protects against insulin resistance
5. Reduces heart problems & diabetes
6. Improves blood cholesterol levels
7. Assists in weight loss
8. Boosts your metabolism
9. Improves digestion
10. Helps in the aging process
11. Protects against Osteoporosis
12. Prevents gallstones
13. Strengthens healthy cell walls
14. Protects against hypertension
15. Fights mood disorders and depression
16. Reduces high blood pressure

I've been experimenting with replacing butter with EV olive oil.

I've noticed it makes pasta dishes slimy, which is good if it's a pasta that normally tends to get sticky. It reduces the tendency for food to stick to the bottom of the pot or skillet if you forget to stir it for a few minutes.

I don't know why it's superior to butter in those ways.

Flavor wise, if it's a dish that only calls for a small amount of butter, there's not much difference.

images.jpg

This calls for milk, water and 2 tbsp of butter.

Instead of butter I put 2 tbsp of EV olive oil in the skillet and Sautee about a teaspoon of minced garlic. Then I add a can of this:

800x.jpg

I wait til the chicken is no longer pink, then I add the other ingredients minus the spaghetti.

Add about an 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds.

When it's boiling, add the pasghetti and start the timer.

I don't know what the **** made me think to add sunflower seeds but I'm glad I did. It adds a little bit of crunch to it. Might try silvered almonds or something one of these days.

View attachment 85610

This calls for milk, water and 2 tbsp of butter.

Instead of butter I put 2 tbsp of EV olive oil in the skillet and Sautee about a teaspoon of minced garlic. Then I add a can of this:

View attachment 85609

I wait til the chicken is no longer pink, then I add the other ingredients minus the spaghetti.

Add about an 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds.

When it's boiling, add the pasghetti and start the timer.

I don't know what the **** made me think to add sunflower seeds but I'm glad I did. It adds a little bit of crunch to it. Might try silvered almonds or something one of these days.
Shelled sunflower seeds I hope. Or do you eat this stuff in a baseball dugout?

Olive oil slutty or extra virgin has gained popularity in North America.
I have no doubts about the health benefits.
I looked into it a while back and Europeans, Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Croatians et al use it on bread rather than butter.
It's not for me. I suppose I could get used to it but I was not raised on it and therefor I prefer butter, fatty butter.
But hey to anyone that likes olive oil more power to you. Enjoy the health benefits.

Olive oil slutty or extra virgin has gained popularity in North America.
I have no doubts about the health benefits.
I looked into it a while back and Europeans, Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Croatians et al use it on bread rather than butter.
It's not for me. I suppose I could get used to it but I was not raised on it and therefor I prefer butter, fatty butter.
But hey to anyone that likes olive oil more power to you. Enjoy the health benefits.
I use it to fry up things every now and then but that's about it.

I use it to fry up things every now and then but that's about it.
I was the same. I had those same views.

If you ever tried to drink the stuff raw it leaves a horrible after taste in your mouth 😝 that hard to shake.

It was only when I was looking for home remedies that I discovered it a while back. That and listening to someone
whose expertise on health I highly regarded.

good butter is healthy as well. I use Kerrygold. Mainly use it in my coffee everyday, along with some coconut oil, and collagen protein. That is my first meal daily, and don't have anything else for quite a few hours after that.

Butter, or Coconut oil, is better for cooking as well. Your solid fats hold up better under the higher heat of cooking, so the quality of the nutrients don't get damaged.

Olive Oil is also fine for cooking, you just need to focus on not cranking up the heat so much.

I picked up a bottle of extra virgin olive oil because I want to be hip and cool. I read up on it and apparently the oil needs seasoning like garlic and otherspices for dipping bread.
I did that and..I gotta say, not yuge fan. I mean it is okay.

Here is where seasoned olive oil becomes great!
Dipping sauce for pizza crust.

Thanks to @quillcom for this thread I have started taking a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil everyday.
You can cut it with vinegar or lemon juice to make it more palatable.
Add some pepper, and/ or garlic. Do watcha like

Truly a remarkable super food if everything they say is true.

You can cut it with vinegar or lemon juice to make it more palatable.
Add some pepper, and/ or garlic. Do watcha like
Absolutely. Good for you RJ.

So just to give you more options, basically any hot dish you can pretty much pour a healthy dose of double o over it. You will not even notice the taste either.

For instance mac n cheese, most people love this dish but the cheese unfortunately have an affinity to arteries, btw. So just pour over some o2 and mix it in. It will not destroy the taste whatsoever. There's no need to add lemon extract to hide the taste, as the dish itself will do that.

And that one or two tablespoons rule/day I easily double and triple that amount no problemo.

Like I was just telling Duck. If I see like a tv dinner that looks good but has a lot of sat-fat or even sodium and I'm really really hungry.

Yeah most of the time I will pass these up, but even with lower "acceptable" levels of sodium and sat-fat, we can still mitigate it's affect on our cardio' vascular with a dose of double o.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Good for you RJ.

So just to give you more options, basically any hot dish you can pretty much pour a healthy dose of double o over it. You will not even notice the taste either.

For instance mac n cheese, most people love this dish but the cheese unfortunately have an affinity to arteries, btw. So just pour over some o2 and mix it in. It will not destroy the taste whatsoever. There's no need to add lemon extract to hide the taste, as the dish itself will do that.

And that one or two tablespoons rule/day I easily double and triple that amount no problemo.

Like I was just telling Duck. If I see like a tv dinner that looks good but has a lot of sat-fat or even sodium and I'm really really hungry.

Yeah most of the time I will pass these up, but even with lower "acceptable" levels of sodium and sat-fat, we can still mitigate it's affect on our cardio' vascular with a dose of double o.
In some recipes that call for butter, I've tried substituting olive oil, and sometimes it's OK, sometimes it ruins it.

In the cases where it ruins it, I try again going 50/50 with butter and olive oil.

I have yet to try it with Kraft Mac n cheese though. I might try going 50/50.

I ordinarily add garlic salt, tuna and green onion to kraft mac n cheese though.

In some recipes that call for butter, I've tried substituting olive oil, and sometimes it's OK, sometimes it ruins it.
I haven't really tried eating EVOO or spreading it on bread right out of the fridge but the fridge does a weird thing to EVOO, It kind of hardens it like butter or margarine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread