Motor Carrier EC's Going For It

Did you know that glass is considered a liquid? For real
For real, for real.

"Glass is an amorphous solid. Although the atomic-scale structure of glass shares characteristics of the structure of a supercooled liquid,"

"Solids are highly organized structures. They include crystals, like sugar and salt, with their millions of atoms lined up in a row,...Liquids and glasses don't have that order"

That's probably why they're telling you here not to use abrasives too much.

For real, for real.

"Glass is an amorphous solid. Although the atomic-scale structure of glass shares characteristics of the structure of a supercooled liquid,"

"Solids are highly organized structures. They include crystals, like sugar and salt, with their millions of atoms lined up in a row,...Liquids and glasses don't have that order"

I'm gonna do what I want regardless. I'm a dick like that.

For real, for real.

I did not know that until you posted and I looked it up. They say if you look at 100 year old pane of glass it will be slightly thicker at the bottom.

I did not know that until you posted and I looked it up. They say if you look at 100 year old pane of glass it will be slightly thicker at the bottom.
It’s why “antique glass” is so valuable.

The only way to get that effect is time.

BTW it feels smoother than the Kobalt ratchet but I don't think it's going to turn me into a master mechanic like it should at this price.

Finally put the 6 new mirrors on today. Routed the heater/light wires through the brackets where the old ones were so it looks like it was done by a pruh.

I think it's because I bought that Snap-On ratchet that I'm suddenly able to do less shoddy work.

My dash is still torn apart though. I ran out of daylight to see what I was doing, so the wires aren't connected yet.

Being able to actually see is going to be nice. I won't have to park by braille anymore.

Finally! Got all 6 mirrors on, wired in factory-style, and tested. Glad I did because on the driver side spot mirror, I tapped black to black into the west coast mirror. I had completely forgotten that black on the west coast is lights, and a green wire provides heat. On the spot mirror they just used white for ground and black for heat.

That meant my little spot mirror was getting hot with the parking lights on. Not good!

I had remembered for the passenger side for some reason but had to pull the mirror bracket off to fish wire back out and give slack to rewire the driver side. Mack doesn't run wires through the door at the bottom. They run wires up through the hollow bracket then through a hole behind the top brace then back down inside the door up by the a pillar.

It's a PITA.

Finally! Got all 6 mirrors on, wired in factory-style, and tested. Glad I did because on the driver side spot mirror, I tapped black to black into the west coast mirror. I had completely forgotten that black on the west coast is lights, and a green wire provides heat. On the spot mirror they just used white for ground and black for heat.

That meant my little spot mirror was getting hot with the parking lights on. Not good!

I had remembered for the passenger side for some reason but had to pull the mirror bracket off to fish wire back out and give slack
Lights on the mirrors is always cool! :thumbsup:

Lights on the mirrors is always cool! :thumbsup:
Thanks! I put these exact same mirrors on the old Ford so I knew they'd be awesome.

Somehow they have the clearest image you could imagine. When you look in the glass it's not like looking in glass. It's as if you're looking directly at what's behind you. They call it first surface something or other but I don't really know what that means.

Stuff like this is especially critical to me at least since I wear glasses. The better quality out of each layer the better my vision.

Also, it's weird but the Mack doesn't have side clearance lights. The little beanies on the side are just turn signals. Two wires. I confirmed it next to another Mack who had his lights on and in the rain. It only lit up for the turn signal just like mine.

I'm not sure if the regs say X wheelbase and shorter no clearance needed on the side or what, but with the mirror lights I have something and that makes me feel better.

Anyway now I need to do something about the dash lights reflecting in the side window glass.

Don't know if there's an anti-reflective film you can get or glass that's anti-reflective.

Either way I'm 62% of the way to tolerating night driving again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread