• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Drive For CRST?

jimminess

anyone had problems with crst?im looking at going to school then working for them..

What makes you the expert and QUIT CALLING ME COW.I'm far from that title.

Don't listen to ppl like truckertrash,his screenname says it all.You do what u think is right.
DO NOT GOTO THIS COMPANY!! The school part of it was terrific,Kirkwood Community College was terrific,and the orientation and the trainers in orientation although egotistical,some of them,were very proffesional and get you the tools needed to drive 18 wheeler. Unfortunately the companies level of professionalism stops there..
As I write this,they have me stranded in Fontana California miles away from my vehicle in Iowa
, Now I met many bad attitude drivers in my time with the school and the orientation, so let me clear the air in the fact I was not,am not one of them.. Read on to learn more..
After being assigned a "Lead Driver" the person responsible for your next 28 days of driving, I was dispatched by Greyhound bus to Nashville Tn, to meet with him. I chose to rent a car at my own expense,both for time,and for personal safety and reliability. I met with my driver at a truck stop,and instantly upon seeing the truck,which is his thru the owner op program they have,it was gong to be a long trip,but I had prepared myself mentally for this by accepting certain people in this profession is why the industry has the stigmata of dirty truck drivers.. So I get into the bacteria crusted vehicle and load my stuff up.. The "lead driver" jokes that he had just had a lot lizard in the truck,and the smell in there confirmed my suspicion that it was a brag,and not a joke.. The next morning we take off to finish his load that he has in the trailer,and are then dispatched by our condescending dispatch,lets just call him Phil, to pick up another load and head to Florida. We get just south of Atlanta,Ga, when we call it a night,and he wants to go to a particular truckstop in Jackson,Ga, because it has a bar,and he knows some "women" there.. While we are there we find that there is a truck headed to where we were in Florida,so we are told to relay the load and head to Atlanta to pick up another headed to North Carolina.. He wants to hang out untill the next day in Jackson because he had been drinking all day and the night before,but I am eager to get the load to where we need to be,so that is our first argument. We pick up the load in Atlanta, where he has a fued with what he refers to as "his people" meaning black,and that I am white,so I can not comment on it.. I drive my 10 hours to our destination to deliver the load the following morning, and we are dispatched again,also again to his dismay, to California. He was wanting to turn down the load and hold out for one going thru Alabama and Texas so he could see more of his "people" while passing thru. The entire time I drove he would sit there talking on the phone,or in the back sleeping. My driving skills were such that after 2 days,which by his own admission, were such that we would be classified as Team Drivers,instead of student. I handled all the tasks put upon me,and drove my entire shifts while stopping only for a 15 minute break for days on end. He would drive for 4-5 then wake me up either by his reckless driving and constant stabbing of the brakes,or by slamming things around to get me up to come keep him company while he drove. All the while lambasting the company " CRST" while driving.. He stated many of the other companies he drove for,and pointed out how and why each one was better than this one,and even offered to give me contact names to use as references,should i decide to change companies.. We arrive in california after I had driven all night,roughly 650 miles, and I went to sleep. 3 hours later I am awoken again when I am tossed out of the bunk by his driving and encroaching on other vehicles infornt of him,he prefers the 1 second following distance,and heavy use of the brakes.. We deliver our load and pick up another headed to Florida.. I drive 5 hours out from Fontana,and decide it is not safe for me to continue driving without coffee and something to eat.. Hoping that some food will give me the fuel needed to continue. Once I fill his truck up with fuel I proceed to drive out of the fuel pumps and park to run into the truckstop to get some wendy's.. At the most 10 minutes.. He pokes his head out from the bunk area,and starts screaming that this is not the time to take a break,and to either get going down the road,or get the " f****" out of "his" truck. I calmly say ok,and call dispatch. I speak to a manager, Dave Turner, who politely and proffesionally makes me feel assured that everything is fine,and that once they rescue the load,I will ride with this lead driver back to Fontana to meet up with a new lead driver. I check into a hotel for the night,and upon waking back up my truck is gone.. Thank God I had the foresight to get all of my belongings out of the truck beforehand! Now I am stranded in Ehrenburg,AZ and have to take a taxi to Blythe,then a Greyhound bus back to Fontana,future unknown.. I talk to my dispatcher,Phil, who has been nothing but condescending since I called and introduced myself to him on day one. I have to follow up,which means 33 minutes on hold on the phone,to get my confirmation number for the bus,which he said he ould call back and give me.. At this point I just know I am headed to Fontana,thats all the info given.. Upon getting to the bus terminal in San Bernadino,Ca, I pay someone I was on the bus with $25 to give me a ride to the yard,only to find out once getting here,I could have not spent the money,and the hotel would have came to get me.. I had no idea what hotel they use here,but I guess that was my fault due to no telepathic ability.. I sit here in Fontana now for 4 days,unpaid,which is only a measly $50 a day while going thru the 28 day program, stranded. Im sitting at a picnic table,waiting for my mother to open my new credit card so I can book a flight home,as since I have technically "quit" I have been told repeatedly I am on my own.
Now I understand some people may have had positive experiences with this company,but after being around the yard here,and in Iowa,no single driver has had a single good thing to say about this company,period... Beware if you choose this company,as you more than likely may end up in this same situation.. I was fortunate to have money as a back up,as this whole expierence to date has cost me almost $4700 for my girlfriend and I.. Nothing is free,and nothing was cheap.. Goodluck,and beware

I Will

I never said I was giving up,I would never let some trash deter me from what I have invested both my time and money into,so quiting isnt an issue.. As of current, I have applyed to a few smaller firms,and they are checking with their insurance companies to see if my girlfriend and I are "insurable".. Thankfully we both have spotless driving records,good looks and great attitudes,which should translate into confidence in our professionalism, and our ability to get the load safely delivered on-time.. I thank you all for your posts,and look forward to hearing more. We have also recieved some messages from people,and appreciate every one of them. My rant so to speak was merely in hopes of a new student doing their due diligence before they sign onto a company like CRST. I thought I had done enough research into them before hand,but I guess I only looked at the glassy side of it,and didnt think the dirt was reliable coming from some of these negative people.. Again, all is appreciated,and I hope my story helps atleast someone avoid the experience that CRST has to offer.

Just now read this,what do u mean appropriate?????????????????/I have not once said anything out of line to you have I?????????I'm just merely helping folks out that need help and many c come on here doing your best lowering folks hope on finding a company.Glad many are smarter then to listen to those folks.This piticular post is sure alot different then your pm to me.
truckertrash, name seems very appropriate.

Good looks huh,LOL.Well these big outfits could care less how cute u r.It's safetys call and don't think unless they have xray vision dont think they'll know how good looken u and girlfriend are talking with them on the phone.Maybe your story will touch a few,we can only hope
I never said I was giving up,I would never let some trash deter me from what I have invested both my time and money into,so quiting isnt an issue.. As of current, I have applyed to a few smaller firms,and they are checking with their insurance companies to see if my girlfriend and I are "insurable".. Thankfully we both have spotless driving records,good looks and great attitudes,which should translate into confidence in our professionalism, and our ability to get the load safely delivered on-time.. I thank you all for your posts,and look forward to hearing more. We have also recieved some messages from people,and appreciate every one of them. My rant so to speak was merely in hopes of a new student doing their due diligence before they sign onto a company like CRST. I thought I had done enough research into them before hand,but I guess I only looked at the glassy side of it,and didnt think the dirt was reliable coming from some of these negative people.. Again, all is appreciated,and I hope my story helps atleast someone avoid the experience that CRST has to offer.

Just now read this,what do u mean appropriate?????????????????/I have not once said anything out of line to you have I?????????I'm just merely helping folks out that need help and many c come on here doing your best lowering folks hope on finding a company.Glad many are smarter then to listen to those folks.This piticular post is sure alot different then your pm to me.

is it possible that anyone could be this stupid? the post was directed at me, not you peppermint patty. but you were kidding right? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya I guess so trashy scum.Thank you for telling me.I thought that was rather odd after his pm.
is it possible that anyone could be this stupid? the post was directed at me, not you peppermint patty. but you were kidding right? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to those who have responded to the question of this thread. It's very helpful to read personal accounts of the experiences you've had with CRST or the experiences you know about.

My husband currently drives for CRST Malone (flatbed,) and the experience has been difficult, though not completely impossible. He is actually leasing, too, which makes life...wow, um lol, let's just say it takes a lot out of your paycheck. Much of what he has learned about the company has been through the experience of doing it (not always fun,) and moreso being able to talk to other drivers. I don't think I could pull it off, but Dave has discovered some things useful (if you happen to drive for Malone:)

- pay attention to what the TAs are giving back. Husband earns an extra $100/week at least...can take advance from card, just by planning out where he's going to fuel, based on what they're giving back.

-they current claim avg for loads is 1.8. Pay this no attention. It's an avg and not a median (the regular real deal.) One guy can be doing great and the rest of the fleet can be doing horribly, but it brings the avg up and makes it look like you're doing something wrong. Clever, huh?

-Please don't believe them when they say you need to keep the truck on the road to earn money. One dispatcher said that this was "the key." It isn't, not for the driver. If you drive for CRST, you know that you can earn 14 cpm for the company while earning a negative cpm for you. You can keep the truck on the road and actually lose more money than if you sat still.

The real key, on the other hand, is to accept only better paying freight. Make use of many agents and network, network. Don't rely solely on a dispatcher, unless of course, they are doing what they can to earn you the most money.

-Don't take the load out of fear, because you've been told you're in a bad area. Almost every single time, at least in our experience, the best loads are never where they say they are, and the worst loads are never where they say they are either!

-Always do the math. If it's less than 1.5 to the truck, it's not worth your time if you're lease-purchase. Again, if you are lease-purchase and take loads for less, you will not make enough money.

-The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Seriously.

Thank you to those of you who have helped us through this thread. Maybe this will help someone else. :)

Excellent sdvice.Hopefully the ones that are leasing will follow it.
Thank you to those who have responded to the question of this thread. It's very helpful to read personal accounts of the experiences you've had with CRST or the experiences you know about.

My husband currently drives for CRST Malone (flatbed,) and the experience has been difficult, though not completely impossible. He is actually leasing, too, which makes life...wow, um lol, let's just say it takes a lot out of your paycheck. Much of what he has learned about the company has been through the experience of doing it (not always fun,) and moreso being able to talk to other drivers. I don't think I could pull it off, but Dave has discovered some things useful (if you happen to drive for Malone:)

- pay attention to what the TAs are giving back. Husband earns an extra $100/week at least...can take advance from card, just by planning out where he's going to fuel, based on what they're giving back.

-they current claim avg for loads is 1.8. Pay this no attention. It's an avg and not a median (the regular real deal.) One guy can be doing great and the rest of the fleet can be doing horribly, but it brings the avg up and makes it look like you're doing something wrong. Clever, huh?

-Please don't believe them when they say you need to keep the truck on the road to earn money. One dispatcher said that this was "the key." It isn't, not for the driver. If you drive for CRST, you know that you can earn 14 cpm for the company while earning a negative cpm for you. You can keep the truck on the road and actually lose more money than if you sat still.

The real key, on the other hand, is to accept only better paying freight. Make use of many agents and network, network. Don't rely solely on a dispatcher, unless of course, they are doing what they can to earn you the most money.

-Don't take the load out of fear, because you've been told you're in a bad area. Almost every single time, at least in our experience, the best loads are never where they say they are, and the worst loads are never where they say they are either!

-Always do the math. If it's less than 1.5 to the truck, it's not worth your time if you're lease-purchase. Again, if you are lease-purchase and take loads for less, you will not make enough money.

-The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Seriously.

Thank you to those of you who have helped us through this thread. Maybe this will help someone else. :)

Lease deal through a trucking company ALWAYS benefit the company. If you really want to lease, work with an independent. The trucking companies typically lease the same truck many times over until it's mileage spent. They will cheat you to death with these lease deals.

Remember, CRST stands for "Crash and Roll Stunt Team"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread