Yup. Still here.


I noticed these boards on the wall in the shop when we moved in. There are three of them about 8 -10 feet apart from each other. Looking at them closer I noticed they've got gste hinges on them to swing up and out from the wall. Any thoughts what they might have been for? IMG_20250205_230012.webpIMG_20250205_230010.webp
 
Maybe it's for boat building?
Iz tha by that builds the boat and Iz the by that sails her.
Iz the by that catches the fish and takes it home to Lizer.

(Old Newfie folk song)
 
Maybe it's for boat building?
Iz tha by that builds the boat and Iz the by that sails her.
Iz the by that catches the fish and takes it home to Lizer.

(Old Newfie folk song)
I knows da by dat builds da boat. And we aren't far from Fogo and Twillingate 😂


A shelf when you need it?
Nothing to tie them up and you'd have to cut braces for underneath. That crossed my mind for a second but I don't think it's that. We know the father of the guy that owned it before. He's been over a couple times. Might have to ask him. He showed us damn near everything else on the property.
 
Last edited:
I noticed these boards on the wall in the shop when we moved in. There are three of them about 8 -10 feet apart from each other. Looking at them closer I noticed they've got gste hinges on them to swing up and out from the wall. Any thoughts what they might have been for? View attachment 90841View attachment 90842
Are there any hooks in the ceiling above them, about a meter or so away from the wall? If so, it's a collapsible rack for something long but relatively lightweight like a multi-person canoe..

No hooks in the ceiling to hang the ends from, probably a "Well I was gonna make a ________ but never finished it because (blames wife, kids, dog, job, etc)" kinda thing.
 
Are there any hooks in the ceiling above them, about a meter or so away from the wall? If so, it's a collapsible rack for something long but relatively lightweight like a multi-person canoe..

No hooks in the ceiling to hang the ends from, probably a "Well I was gonna make a ________ but never finished it because (blames wife, kids, dog, job, etc)" kinda thing.
Not a thing in the ceiling or the boards. If there was it would be a pain unless you left something hanging down. That bay door is about 9 feet to give you an idea. IMG_20250205_182259853.webp
 
There was a wood stove. Buddy wanted the stove and was gonna leave the chimney but it got all but taken out by the amount of ice on the metal roof this year. There is wiring for a heat pump to be installed on the wall opposite ithe bay door but they were sticking with the stove "temporarily".

One or the other or both will be a project in preparation for next winter but it's a bit late for it this year my opinion.
 
30 x 70 there's plywood down for floor in the middle of the trusses upstairs. There's a bench press and some weights up there. I'm going to expand on that. My oldest boy and I love to lift.
Mine's also 30x70 but my shop is only in the rear third. The north side is just frame and sheet metal and is full of stuff that doesn't need to be kept from freezing.

We heat with propane here, which is why I didn't insulate the whole building.

And I don't have room upstairs. The bottoms of the trusses are 14' and the drop ceiling is ten inches below them to accommodate thick insulation on top of the ceiling.
 
Mine's also 30x70 but my shop is only in the rear third. The north side is just frame and sheet metal and is full of stuff that doesn't need to be kept from freezing.

We heat with propane here, which is why I didn't insulate the whole building.

And I don't have room upstairs. The bottoms of the trusses are 14' and the drop ceiling is ten inches below them to accommodate thick insulation on top of the ceiling.
They went a little fancier than your typical pole pole barn. I'm gonna do my damnedest not to let it get into any hoarder type situation.

We've also got a 16x26 shed finished in similar fashion that they left the stove and beer fridge in. There's another small shed that's just storage further out on the point by the fire pit and there may even be a third one I've not even been to yet because of the snow.Screenshot_20250207-154918~2.webpIMG_20250202_093546430_HDR.webpIMG_20250207_155551564.webp
 
They went a little fancier than your typical pole pole barn. I'm gonna do my damnedest not to let it get into any hoarder type situation.

We've also got a 16x26 shed finished in similar fashion that they left the stove and beer fridge in. There's another small shed that's just storage further out on the point by the fire pit and there may even be a third one I've not even been to yet because of the snow.View attachment 90851View attachment 90853View attachment 90854
You have officially won.

I mean you have arrived at what should be every man's goal in life.

To own multiple shops that are insulated and heated and can be used for whatever you want..

Now you just gotta spend a few grand on stereo equipment and you'll be set. 😁
 
You have officially won.

I mean you have arrived at what should be every man's goal in life.

To own multiple shops that are insulated and heated and can be used for whatever you want..

Now you just gotta spend a few grand on stereo equipment and you'll be set. 😁
For real. I hate him now. A garage to men is basically tits to women. We envy because they're bigger.

Men like women's tits but don't really care as long as we get to touch them.
 
Last edited:
You have officially won.

I mean you have arrived at what should be every man's goal in life.

To own multiple shops that are insulated and heated and can be used for whatever you want..

Now you just gotta spend a few grand on stereo equipment and you'll be set. 😁
I'm content with Bluetooth speakers and plenty of exciting ways to burn gasoline at this point.
 
I'm content with Bluetooth speakers and plenty of exciting ways to burn gasoline at this point.
Speaking of fire,...

Put full size fire extinguishers in all of those buildings if you're going to be doing any welding or anything that might start a fire.

A fire that would ordinarily just require repainting in a house, would burn your shop building to the ground if you're not in there to react immediately when it happens.

That's the only thing about having OSB on the interior walls and ceiling.

If I had it to do over though, I'd have still used wood for the walls but I'd have spent the extra money on actual plywood instead of OSB because it holds screws better. I don't trust the OSB any more than I'd trust drywall to hold a shelf or something.

Like just the other day I screwed a can crusher to the wall in here and the screws immediately stripped out & I had to use those expanding rubber plug thingies they call "screw anchors" for use in drywall.

And I got fiberglass insulation on the drill bit. 🤬
 
With the sheer overkill amount of plugs and full sheets in both these buildings it is really easy to tell how it's framed and hit real wood.
Well I know exactly where the frame wood is in my shop because I built it. And the full sheets, screw heads, etc. But there wasn't one right where I wanted to put the can crusher.
 

Back
Top