What do I need for CDL school

My Work Force Development Center is paving my way for me to go to school. I am responsible for my booksI have my states CDL Training Manual and Im studying and taking practice quizzes every day. Are there any other books you all can think I may need during training and for reference after training, or any map books that maybe handy while out in the field?

Thanks a bunch,
Janet

Your "training" will consist of nothing more than behind the wheel drivers training enough to pass the state driver's test to get your license.

Nothing more.

I’d recommend a book called ‘don’t go to CDL school, this profession has gone straight to hell’

But I haven’t written it yet.

Seriously though. Don’t listen to the recruiters, this profession keeps getting worse and worse. In my 19 years I’ve seen nothing but constant decline.

The companies treat drivers like dirt, the government hates us and is trying come up with as many rules and regulations as they can without ever coming up with anything to improve things. The quality of drivers keeps getting worse as the good drivers are retiring or leaving the profession. You’ll see lots of pee bottles and drivers waddling their fat arses out of the Truckstop with a bucket of soda in one hand and a bag of junk food in the other. Then there’s the driver facing cameras,and the shippers and receivers that’ll treat you about as well as the Germans treated the Jews.

My advice: Run, Run like hell and find something else, anything else to do for a living but this.

My Work Force Development Center is paving my way for me to go to school. I am responsible for my booksI have my states CDL Training Manual and Im studying and taking practice quizzes every day. Are there any other books you all can think I may need during training and for reference after training, or any map books that maybe handy while out in the field?

Thanks a bunch,
Janet

Lots of "books", on the web. But I would look into getting an actually CDL book from your state. They are NOT free. You need to obtain one and study the heck out of it. Book smart is only half of it, though. :grandpa:

I’d recommend a book called ‘don’t go to CDL school, this profession has gone straight to hell’

But I haven’t written it yet.

Seriously though. Don’t listen to the recruiters, this profession keeps getting worse and worse. In my 19 years I’ve seen nothing but constant decline.

The companies treat drivers like dirt, the government hates us and is trying come up with as many rules and regulations as they can without ever coming up with anything to improve things. The quality of drivers keeps getting worse as the good drivers are retiring or leaving the profession. You’ll see lots of pee bottles and drivers waddling their fat arses out of the Truckstop with a bucket of soda in one hand and a bag of junk food in the other. Then there’s the driver facing cameras,and the shippers and receivers that’ll treat you about as well as the Germans treated the Jews.

My advice: Run, Run like hell and find something else, anything else to do for a living but this.

Trucking is not for everyone. Especially, for newcomers. Earning less than $500 a week before taxes is not cool for someone looking to get their own home and car. Nowadays, trucking companies have no problem low balling anyone that wants a job. :rant:

Trucking is not for everyone. Especially, for newcomers. Earning less than $500 a week before taxes is not cool for someone looking to get their own home and car. Nowadays, trucking companies have no problem low balling anyone that wants a job. :rant:
Who makes that little anymore? I haven't gotten pay that low since training/orientation.

I was at the Loves in Willis,Tx and it’s a small parking lot with only one entrance and there was a swift truck trying to back into a parking spot by the entrance and the guy was obviously fresh out of school as he kept pulling up and trying and trying and the line of trucks waiting to get in was getting impatient with a chorus of air horns, so I took pity on the guy and ran over and tried to help him by spotting him in but he still couldn’t do it, he looked like he was near tears, so he ask me if I can hop in and do it for him, and a woman pops her head out from the sleeper and tells him no, you gotta do it. And I say look just pull up and go park by the tire shop cause it’s getting ugly out here, so he does that and after talking to him it turns out the woman is his trainer. I asked her how long she’s been training and she says oh this is my first student. She’d only been driving 7 months herself, and they’ve got her training. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

That’s trucking today.

I was at the Loves in Willis,Tx and it’s a small parking lot with only one entrance and there was a swift truck trying to back into a parking spot by the entrance and the guy was obviously fresh out of school as he kept pulling up and trying and trying and the line of trucks waiting to get in was getting impatient with a chorus of air horns, so I took pity on the guy and ran over and tried to help him by spotting him in but he still couldn’t do it, he looked like he was near tears, so he ask me if I can hop in and do it for him, and a woman pops her head out from the sleeper and tells him no, you gotta do it. And I say look just pull up and go park by the tire shop cause it’s getting ugly out here, so he does that and after talking to him it turns out the woman is his trainer. I asked her how long she’s been training and she says oh this is my first student. She’d only been driving 7 months herself, and they’ve got her training. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

That’s trucking today.

Poor guy but dumb for not being prepared. I think the school is very important when it comes to driver's training on a big rig. Many schools out there like that. Newcomers need to do their research beforehand.
Good job on trying to help out. You're the man. :clapping:

That’s trucking today.
Pretty shitty of her to just hang out in the bunk while he struggles.

Poor guy but dumb for not being prepared. I think the school is very important when it comes to driver's training on a big rig. Many schools out there like that. Newcomers need to do their research beforehand.
Good job on trying to help out. You're the man. :clapping:
Sorry but how was he not prepared?

That’s trucking today.

Also, women trainers operate very differently. I've had instructors that were female and its kinda like a "hit or miss". But, I wouldn't take the chance. Get a trainer that you feel comfortable. Its your training on the line. :stirpot2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread