What did you do before you started driving a truck?

GroceryHauler

Let's hear about your awesome career before you threw it all away for the freedom of the open road! ;)

I worked for the state of Illinois before I started driving and was a paramedic through most of the 90's.

Let's hear about your awesome career before you threw it all away for the freedom of the open road! ;)

I worked for the state of Illinois before I started driving and was a paramedic through most of the 90's.
So what made you go into trucking.Paramedic is good money is'nt it.Or did you get tired of the gross part of being a paramedic????????

So what made you go into trucking.Paramedic is good money is'nt it.Or did you get tired of the gross part of being a paramedic????????

There isn't a single day that goes by where I don't miss the paramedic work. It was what I wanted to do since I was about five years old and I loved it. Unfortunately the pay isn't all that great, especially in central IL where I live. Around here you'll make around $20,000 a year if you're lucky. You can make more in some of the bigger cities or if you get your firefighter certification and become a firefighter/paramedic. I don't like cities and I have no desire to go into burning buildings so here I am.

When I retire I plan to get re-licensed and run as a part-time medic.

i turned wrenches for "about" 17 years....got tired of it because finding problems that other shops couldn't find they sent the work to me, and other "hard to find" problems "found thier way" to my garage doors...i got tired of solving puzzles, buying tools, working long hours.

so i got into trucking.......

i don't buy tools, i don't solve problems.....but dammit.....i still work long hours...!!

i wanna find a "sugar-momma".....to take care of me, give her a "little noogie"
7.gif
from time to time, all will be good......

I worked in aviation as a ramp rat. I was let go from a pretty decent job by a contractor who didn't reasearch the laws. I, in turn, sued, won, out of court and got into trucking.

I used to play with trucks, in the dirt outside my parents house.

Then I used to fix trucks, for 30 years.

Now I drive a truck.

18 years Military, Odd jobs while attending the University, 13 years as a Gunsmith/Gun Dealer and Martial Arts School owner.

As a truck driver I have done nothing but flatbedding. I have been a company driver, a lease driver, owning my own truck leased onto a company and an owner operator with my own authority. I have been in the process of getting my authority for the last month, I haven't hauld my first load yet.

There isn't a single day that goes by where I don't miss the paramedic work. It was what I wanted to do since I was about five years old and I loved it. Unfortunately the pay isn't all that great, especially in central IL where I live. Around here you'll make around $20,000 a year if you're lucky. You can make more in some of the bigger cities or if you get your firefighter certification and become a firefighter/paramedic. I don't like cities and I have no desire to go into burning buildings so here I am.When I retire I plan to get re-licensed and run as a part-time medic.
That's all you made is 20 k a yr?????????????????? DAM,I figured being in the medical field a paramedic paid good.I mean just to go on a call it cost $500.00 to $1000.00.When the ambulance came to my house for my mom it cost$750.00.Of course my dads insurance covered most of it but still.

1. In the 70's I drove Taxi in a medium sized tourist fishing town. Driving delivery trucks full time. Two full time jobs to make a decent living.
  2. In the 80's I was a chemical process operator making fertilizer. So yes, I'm an expert on BS .:jiggy:
  3. Late 80's early 90's ran my own business from home buying & selling cars & fixing cars & trucks, solving mysterious problems :ducttape:. "Have Wrench Will Travel" was my company name & logo. I went to peoples home or work & repaired their cars for $20 an hour plus travel time.
  4. Then in 92 I started driving trucks full time. :foreheadslap:

I left 7 years of law enforcement in 1997 to drive truck.

I worked in aviation as a ramp rat. I was let go from a pretty decent job by a contractor who didn't reasearch the laws. I, in turn, sued, won, out of court and got into trucking.
How much $$$ did you win? Inquiring minds NEED :clap:to know. :detective:
Is this one of those "how to make a million$ in trucking" start with 3 million, stories?
:news:

Farm boy... Drove 6 wheel tobacco trucks from Loris SC to Whiteville to the main packing house. Moved up to a duplex 220 cummins in a mack after turned 18.. Went product calif as soon as I turned 21..

I have spoke to more drivers that left law to drive trk,so what's your reason?????????????

Would you believe stress? LOL

I started developing the attitude that everyone was lying to me. It really began effecting my private life. I couldn't "let my hair down" and be human because you never knew who was watching you or knew you.

I just wanted to be human again with a normal life.

Besides, I love to drive, I love to travel, and the idea that someone would pay me to travel and see the country seemed like an excellent deal.

Finance (>1 yr), University (4 yrs), military (9yrs), mortgage banking (>1 yr). Before that mostly odd crappy jobs. Wait, they were all crappy...

How much $$$ did you win? Inquiring minds NEED :clap:to know. :detective:
Is this one of those "how to make a million$ in trucking" start with 3 million, stories?
:news:

No, not millions by any means. Lost wages plus some. If I got millions I would not be trucking. I'd be living on some tropical island, with my pilots license flying tourist around from spot to spot...... as for the exact amount, a gentleman will never tell. I really can't either, post-settlement agreement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread