Why did you choose a truck driving career?

Because after several college courses, and several jobs, I found that i like driving truck the best......

Dad drove all his life, I rode with him quite a bit growing up and just always wanted to do it.

I enjoy it for the most part, except for when I am sitting around at a grocery warehouse :)

I have always wanted to give this a try. I've been looking into some courses around her for CDL and my friend and her husband own a company. I don't think I could work for my friend, but they could definitely give me some tips.

I had two uncles that drove trucks in the 70's. Rode in one then, seemed to be a lot of fun going us 30 Little America to Pocatello, ID.

Worked as accountant for over 20 years. Did not really enjoy the job.

Like the freedom that trucking has.

why I became a trucker

Cerberus--I hope you have gone back to your class reunions and shown that counsiler just how good you are doing for being a truck driver. If you are with a good company you are making more than many of the college grads. And even if most people have a negative attitude towards truckers--telling someone you knew when -- results in "I wish I had the nerve to ...) inside they are so jealous. I find it amazing how many reasons they will come up with not becoming a driver. I have to bite my tongue when they say thay aren't good enough a driver to drive a big truck---but they are the ones who are everywhere "not being good drivers period!"

Itchy feet

I have always loved to travel. When I turned 50 I was single, tired of running my own greenhouse/business, and bored. My son was driving then and I asked him about driving. He responded '"Mom, people aren't nice out there." I told him,"If you act like trash, they will treat you like trash, if you act like a lady they will treat you like a lady, and there are jerks everywhere.
I flunked out of driving school twice, got my license the third time around. Paid my dues with some big companies, who couldn't remember who I was. Found local otr company (and met my husband to be there, we teamed for 6 years before getting married.) We retired from one of the best companies in the US New Century Transportation out of New Jersey. They run you hard - ltl across country-- but they pay good and they get you home when you want for as long as you want. Insurance is Blue Cross/Blue Sheild.
My memoies are both good and bad. But I wouldn't trade the time I spent on the road for anything.

What a great story Okaldy! It is so cute how our kids will try to protect us when they don't seem to understand all the 'not nice' stuff we had to deal with just being parents! You have a good attitude about people and I'm sure many others saw this and respected you for it.

I'm not the driver in my family, my husband is. He started driving last month, mainly because it was a well-paying job. His brother works as a truck driver as well, so it was easy for him to get the job.

I am just looking for a decent career. Been checking this out for a while, still haven't made up my mind whether to start driving or not.
Just remember to be ready to spend some time away from home. Most of the unhappy drivers out here didn't expect to have to spend so much time away from home. They heard you could gross some good money. Some drivers luck out and get an ideal job that gets them by home more, but you usually have to spend a while getting experience out here before that kind of job appears.

I always wanted to do this. As a kid my dad would work a regular job 70-80 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, but was a firm believer in 2 weeks vacation. On vacation we would take a road trip, and back then the safest/best place to be was following a truck. The driver knew where the cops were, knew where the best places to eat, where the best routes were, and back then they weren't concerned about you if you followed them. As soon as I got the chance to get my CDL I did. Haven't regretted it since. (most of the time)

Debra,
It's not all that great. You see most of the us from the interstate, you see the wort part of most towns and you find out things about your fellow humans that you probably didn't want to know anyway.

Yes, it can also be great fun.....but you have to take the nasty with the good.

I think that's like any other job. The perks go hand in hand with the downside. I try to be thankful for the perks and not dwell on the downs.

After traveling half the country in a motorhome for a year, I decided to take up truck driving so somebody else can pay my traveling expenses. But its like the previous poster has said, you see most of the country from the interstate. Sometimes, if time allows, I'll find a US hwy to travel and see a bit more. The downside is when you get to a destination or have to take your 10-hour or 34-hour break, you don't have other transportation to explore or go site seeing. I have rented a car, but that can get expensive if you do it too often.

And would you really end up having the time to really see the things you wanted? Probably not, b/c I'd imagine you'd be on a time schedule and who hates to rush around when sight-seeing?

my high school guidance counsler told me i was too stupid to get a real job. he gave me two options, suicide or trucking. unfortunitly i couldn't afford a gun so i took up driving in '91 and have done it ever since. seen the good and seen the bad sides of it. overall a positive expeerience in my life.

Now that's one shitty guidance counselor. You shoulda bought the gun and shot him (kidding).

I have always loved to travel. When I turned 50 I was single, tired of running my own greenhouse/business, and bored. My son was driving then and I asked him about driving. He responded '"Mom, people aren't nice out there." I told him,"If you act like trash, they will treat you like trash, if you act like a lady they will treat you like a lady, and there are jerks everywhere.
I flunked out of driving school twice, got my license the third time around. Paid my dues with some big companies, who couldn't remember who I was. Found local otr company (and met my husband to be there, we teamed for 6 years before getting married.) We retired from one of the best companies in the US New Century Transportation out of New Jersey. They run you hard - ltl across country-- but they pay good and they get you home when you want for as long as you want. Insurance is Blue Cross/Blue Sheild.
My memoies are both good and bad. But I wouldn't trade the time I spent on the road for anything.

It's wonderful that you had the opportunity to do what you wanted and to meet your husband. Sounds to me like trucking was exactly what you needed at that time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread