Wally World Wanderings - and still the only 20 thread you need to read.

So are expenses for private fleet:rolleyes:

Nope!

Holy acronyms, Batman.

Went over a TON of stuff with one of the Ops managers today. Retired 30 year Full Bird Army Reservist. Honestly I though a lot of what she said was very confusing, but trust I'll figure it out when I go live.

Safety dude tomorrow. Same guy that gave me the road test.

GTM (hahahaha...acronyms) was wearing a Cowboys hat today because they smoked the Packers last night CRAP I had my head buried in the manual all night and forgot to watch the Jets lose...maybe it's still on ESPN...

Yes, we had CSAP today. Don't know what that acronym stands for, but that was the guy.

Also, I think it's universal. Every orientation has that one guy.

This particular one has been pulling out of Tomah for Marten so he's go war stories about every store in this region. Worse, he's got knowledge above and beyond the CSAP. The safety guy is pretty patient, but you could see him getting annoyed. It was kinda funny.

He gave a helpful tip to the entire class (he's got the least experience of everyone, at about 5 years) to get off on a ramp for 2 minutes in the event of an aggressive driver or whatever. That one kinda irked me. Dude, you got 5 whole years in. The first guy above you has 11, the rest of us are over 20. Shut. The. Hell. Up.

Apparently it's policy after a deer strike that if the carcass is still laying in the road way to call local PD immediately, and notify them, as the company might still be liable in the event of someone running over the carcass and having an accident or whatever.

At some point the conversation went to the single tires, which Walmart is moving away from, as they've found no benefit in them, and in fact more negatives.

I asked that in the event of a blown wide single tire, do we still call in if the giant ass tire carcass is laying in the road.

Mr. World Of Warcraft popped up and said yes, call it in.

THEN the safety guy proceeded with the answer (which was the same)...LMAO.

We were supposed to meet in the break room at 8am. The last guy showed up in the break room about 7:57 or so, and this guy pops up and says, "Wow cutting it kinda close aren't ya?"

My immediate inward response was in my brain was MIND YOUR OWN ****ING BUSINESS YOU NERD!! The other guy stared daggers at him too. It was amusing.

I call him Mr. World of Warcraft, because he's actually wearing a hoodie with some weird image from the game on it, and in the morning meeting this morning introduced himself, and bragged that that was a main interest of his.

It's again funny when around 3-4pm when he starts dozing off in class, he doesn't have any answers or interruptions anymore....

:rolllaugh3:

Today's memorable quotes:

"You guys aren't as familiar with Walmart as I am." - cuz he did store deliveries for Blue Bird, AND Werner outta Tomah.

"Do we have time to tour the DC Warehouse area?" - like FOUR times he asked. The rest of us are all like...DUDE IT'S A WAREHOUSE...we don't get to it, we don't get to it...LMAO

"It's just good to be back at Walmart again" - cu he used to stock shelves in Indiana.

"I used to be a heavy hauler too. I pulled 9'6" wide chillers out of TRANE in LaCrosse. for ATS." - Myself and the guy that used to work at Perkins (PERKINS for crying out loud!!!) just...stared.

Eh, ya sit in a classroom all day you gotta find entertainment when you can.

Today's memorable quotes:

"You guys aren't as familiar with Walmart as I am." - cuz he did store deliveries for Blue Bird, AND Werner outta Tomah.

"Do we have time to tour the DC Warehouse area?" - like FOUR times he asked. The rest of us are all like...DUDE IT'S A WAREHOUSE...we don't get to it, we don't get to it...LMAO

"It's just good to be back at Walmart again" - cu he used to stock shelves in Indiana.

"I used to be a heavy hauler too. I pulled 9'6" wide chillers out of TRANE in LaCrosse. for ATS." - Myself and the guy that used to work at Perkins (PERKINS for crying out loud!!!) just...stared.

Eh, ya sit in a classroom all day you gotta find entertainment when you can.
Roger that. Take a blanket tomorrow (OD Gren preferably) fold it neatly in front of him. Just smile and walk away.........:popcorn:

Heard today that the stores may go back to the Grey/Blue paint theme.

Not sure why...I thought that was tacky looking.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the hiring standards will be very different for a long time.

I have no idea WTH you people are talking about.

Anyway.

Finishing up CBL (haha acronym....eat it punks) tomorrow, and meeting with my trainer. I ran long today getting some other computer training done, so I wont have as many hours as I'd like going into the weekend, but my trainer says that's okay, if we have to cut out early, they will accommodate that. Awesome.

Today was a very interesting day. We finally toured the DC, which turned out to be more interesting than I thought it would be. The stuff this place can pull off is unbelievable, just with the amount of freight coming in and going out. It's unreal what a single DC does. Just...unreal.

Went over benefits, the medical I'm not thrilled about, but I like the dental and vision. The wife and I are gonna argue about that...so there's that.

We went over the Walmart view on unions.

Point is, they think the same way I have thought for years.

If you have a decent job, you don't really need a union.

Why pay a third party (who really doesn't care anyway) to say for you what you can easily say yourself?

In a nutshell;

You are your own voice in the company. There is a true "open door" policy with management (and yes, the doors are actually propped open most of the time)... They will listen, and the "Sundown rule" mandates that you will get some sort of update quickly, at a personal level. It may not be the answer you want, but there will be communication on it. "I have no answer for you yet, but I'm on it." That sort of thing. You will not be ignored.

"Respect for the individual" is the first belief, and that applies to every person working here. A custodian is afforded the same voice as a GTM (hahaha another acronym)...

The "Ten foot rule" works, and (I think) creates an atmosphere of civility and respect that was SO absent at several of my previous employers. Basically, you don't treat people like crap. If you see another person, just say, "Hello." It's not hard.

And if you don't get the answer you want, you can go right over your GTM's head straight to Bentonville.

I don't plan on having a lot of issues that way, but it's good to know.

So far aside from one bit of computer training today about hazmat which I think was totally over the top, I don't disagree with a policy I've seen here.

I've been an outlaw in some way, shape or form for ALL of the 21 years I've been driving, but have never had a problem with policies and procedures that to me make sense, and work to the benefit of all. Especially if the compensation is there.

I disagree with the Drivecams though, and will be one of the guys bitching about them. I will say that. So far, it's only a "pilot program". I can honestly say I hope Walmart finds no benefit it a inward facing camera, and disregards them.

Yes, they're piloting inward facing cameras.

Last edited:
What's next, you gonna get a automatic?
Lol

I had an Mdrive at QC. I gave it a good 3 months, and the truck started falling apart and wouldn't stop.

Didn't like an autoshift for tankers AT ALL. Except in L.A. traffic. Even then, I'd rather have a simple 10 speed.

Rice Lake.

First trip was a GM load from the DC up to Superior. Ran out of hours so this is as far as we made it.

Cant believe how quiet a truck with 624000 on it is, and how clean it is.

Tomah isn't that far to Superior....

How can a team be out of hours?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread