Volvo 630 rough starting

We own an 04 Volvo 630 with the D-12 engine and use it to drag our fifth wheel with modified golf cart around. The last three weeks or so after it sets for several days it seems to really rough start. Kinda coughing and belching and throwing white exhaust for the first ten to fifteen seconds then it settles down and continues to air up and it runs fine and starts fine the rest of the day. For several days when it was warmer out and we started it and used it as our daily driver and it started fine.

I have put injector cleaner in the last fifty gallons of fuel but should I use something else? Do I have bad fuel as we try to carry 150 gallons most of the time or do I have water in the fuel also. I would appreciate any help or thoughts on this. We had injector service in done in May by folks I trust and they did not indicate any injector problems then. It's our only vehicle beside the golf cart so any advice at all please. One last thing, engine has 498,000 miles.

Thank you
Dave

You could run a fuel line to a 5 gallon can of fresh fuel. That would answer whether it’s a fuel quality problem

When was the last time you changed the filters?

Does it have a Davco fuel water seperator?

Sounds like it is losing prime. Either the PLV is leaking or your fuel is draining back to the tank because of air intrusion into the fuel system somewhere weather a cracked line, bad filter seal or a stuck injector plunger.

Sounds like it is losing prime. Either the PLV is leaking or your fuel is draining back to the tank because of air intrusion into the fuel system somewhere weather a cracked line, bad filter seal or a stuck injector plunger.
For some reason Volvo’s were bad for losing prime

Don't be an ass! Bad fuel return check valve is only the most common cause of hard starting since the advent of the electronic engine in the 90s
Im not being an ass. Last place I was signed on had a few Volvo’s. At one point or another they all had to go into a shop for hard starts/fuel delivery issues/derates from fuel pressure issues

So when I see the same thing across 5-6 Volvo’s, but I don’t see it with Peterbilts/Kenworths/Internationals, that makes it a “Volvo common problem” :dunno:

Thanks for all replies. Changed fuel filters in May along with other PM work. To answer the crank question, it spins about 6 to 8 times , catches, then starts to cough and belch with white exhaust out the pipe. then it settles down. Hope this provides more information.

Dave

Thanks for all replies. Changed fuel filters in May along with other PM work. To answer the crank question, it spins about 6 to 8 times , catches, then starts to cough and belch with white exhaust out the pipe. then it settles down. Hope this provides more information.

Dave

Your losing prime in the fuel system. It could be the check valve on the return line, or on that old of truck, it could be a small leak on the suction side that breaks the vacuum and allows fuel to drain back. Worst case scenario is an injector not closing properly and dripping fuel into a cylinder. (Be sure and smell the dipstick, and make sure there's not fuel in the oil.) If the white smoke persists a bit after the engine smooths out, it points towards this. If the white smoke disappears as soon as the engine runs smooth, it points the other way, towards a leak external to the engine.

Thanks again for the replies. The white smoke does disappear as it smooths out. I have been starting it every 24 hours or so even if we aren't going any where. Try to put miles on every few days.

So my next question would be do I start with the check valve and work it from there??

Thank you

Dave

Thanks again for the replies. The white smoke does disappear as it smooths out. I have been starting it every 24 hours or so even if we aren't going any where. Try to put miles on every few days.

So my next question would be do I start with the check valve and work it from there??

Thank you

Dave
If it was me, I'd give the suction side of the fuel system a once-over first. Throw a wrench on the fitting make sure everything's tight, make sure all your hoses don't look like they're getting bad. If you have a clear Dome filter, check and make sure you're not getting a lot of air bubbles coming up that way

I honestly don't know where the check valve is at on the Volvo's, on the Detroit's it was at the back of the head. Generally, if you can blow through it it needs to be replaced.

Here is an update. Been starting it every 24 hours or so with mostly successful starts. Yesterday it started a little rough but not terribly bad. Spoke with HDT independent shop and they do work on Volvos. Will call me back after Veterans day to arrange a time. Also gave the oil stick a good smell when running and no diesel smell on it so guess that's good news so far.

Thanks
Dave

What about recently? That was 6 months ago and probably 50000 miles.

I've seen differences in samples a week after I did it

Then I would start looking at fuel lines for one that is weather check and cracked

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread