• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

USA Truck

Reviewer

USA Truck, Inc. is a medium haul, common and contract carrier specializing in truckload quantities of general commodities. The Company operates in the forty-eight contiguous United States, the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec, and in Mexico through the gateway city of Laredo, Texas. The Company's principal competitive strength is its ability and commitment to provide consistent, premium service to shippers that demand a higher level of service than is generally available in the truckload market.

The Company’s general offices are located in Van Buren, Arkansas with maintenance facilities in Van Buren, Arkansas, West Memphis, Arkansas, Shreveport, Louisiana, Butler Township, Ohio and Bethel, Pennsylvania.

USA Truck hires drivers for Over The Road (OTR) and dedicated positions. Driving school graduates may also qualify for their training program

For more information on USA Truck, visit their website at : USA Truck, Inc.

Do you work for this company, or have you worked for it in the past? Give a review here. If you have questions, post them here as well for drivers who are familiar with the company to answer if possible.

Junk snack food LOL

I forgot to ask,whats pogy bait?LOL

What Coachman said, it is a military term for junk food,,, and as far as these trucking outfits taking anybody to court, I really don't see it happening, the last thing they want to do is open up their books and bringing to light just how bad they are cheating the l/p guys

I hear that,if I was sweettalked into leasing and a few months down the road I did'nt like it because they failed to mention some important details,well u know what i'd brake that contract in a heartbeat let them sue me.I dont think theyd like what id tell the court and judge.

patty check out the thread "lease purchase program" and a post by camel trucker. even though you sign a contract the way it actually works, as far as civial liability, they cant do squat. thats probably why they get so pissed and try to screw your DAC up. makes perfect sense to me. check it out and see what you think. its under "have an intresting story".

hes talkin bout driver solutions grads. most of their grads cant even back up after training.if you dont beleive me, ask sean mcquaid!

Can't answer about all the C1/Driver Solutions schools. But I did hear from a few folks that the one I went to was the best of the bunch. You don't get out of the Indy school with a CDL unless you know how to drive that truck. I did not have any problems on the range, but others did. And a few get pushed through (after all, it means MONEY).

been at usa since october, not overall impressed, my background in trucking has been overall to take whatever comes and go with it, but these guys just seem not to have their act together...now with that being said let me give you the details, i hired on at .34 per mile and knew it was going to be a challkenge to make do on pay but with the economy....and no other job openings...well I took what I could; now the orientation did not cover how slow the trucks were..but wait..its just MY truck which tops out at 59mph and Ive talked to other drivers whose trucks go up to 70, some less but still it seems to be an inconsistent! The loads are not assigned with time allowed for early pickup but then Ive learned to just get there when I can, and so far have had no problems. My chief complaint I guess is the low miles per month I avg..I do like the qualcomm and that the truck is not monitored for position data

been at usa since october, not overall impressed, my background in trucking has been overall to take whatever comes and go with it, but these guys just seem not to have their act together...now with that being said let me give you the details, i hired on at .34 per mile and knew it was going to be a challkenge to make do on pay but with the economy....and no other job openings...well I took what I could; now the orientation did not cover how slow the trucks were..but wait..its just MY truck which tops out at 59mph and Ive talked to other drivers whose trucks go up to 70, some less but still it seems to be an inconsistent! The loads are not assigned with time allowed for early pickup but then Ive learned to just get there when I can, and so far have had no problems. My chief complaint I guess is the low miles per month I avg..I do like the qualcomm and that the truck is not monitored for position data

It's not the paperless logging system. But do you really think they don't know the position of the truck? Trust me, they know where that truck is to within yards through GPS data. Dispatch asks "where are you?" as a game they play - sometimes to catch you in a lie. It's irritating being asked that when I know they know where I am. Abandon the truck somewhere, or steal it without disabeling the system, and see how fast they find it - it won't take long :).

I'll check it out but I do nt care what a contraCT says,you can do something.Judge looks at both sides and can be sympathetic to the situation.Ever hear the phrase rules are meant to be broken.It does'nt hurt to try.I know I would in a heart beat no doubt about it.
patty check out the thread "lease purchase program" and a post by camel trucker. even though you sign a contract the way it actually works, as far as civial liability, they cant do squat. thats probably why they get so pissed and try to screw your DAC up. makes perfect sense to me. check it out and see what you think. its under "have an intresting story".

It's not the paperless logging system. But do you really think they don't know the position of the truck? Trust me, they know where that truck is to within yards through GPS data. Dispatch asks "where are you?" as a game they play - sometimes to catch you in a lie. It's irritating being asked that when I know they know where I am. Abandon the truck somewhere, or steal it without disabeling the system, and see how fast they find it - it won't take long :).
EXACTLY Sean,that qualcomm knows every foot u move the trk if u brk too hard how long you've been idleing,the idle percentage ect ect.I couild'nt handle a 59 mph trk.It's like who's goin g to win u or the RV,LOL.

With the qualcom and road ranger systems, the gps shows the longitude/latitude of the truck on the dispatchers screen, I think they actually have to punch those degrees in to get the name of where you are at, or that was the way it was

I went through C-1. Worked for USA. Ya. There are alot of horror stories, some true, some partially,some not at all. Yes. C-1 tries to race you through. Came back second day from road training, a whole 20mins that day and proceeded to throw my books at the Yard trailer and tell em I was done and how the hell you supposed to learn only spending 20 mins behind the wheel? Next day they took me out for 3hrs straight. They wanted me to take the road test after just 2 weeks. I told them where to put that suggeston. I wanted at least a couple more days. As for USA. It depends on the Driver manager you get. If you prove you can do the job, you will get the miles. Mine got me home when he said I'd be home and for the amount of time he said I'd be home. Had to call him once to go back out early, was on 5 day break after voluntarily bein out for 5 weeks. As for Quallcomms, they arent perfect. Mine showed me to be in Jackson, Ms. when I was at the yard in Shreveport. Was there for a repower and weekend dispatch didnt believe I was there until I handed my phone to the secretary. USA isnt the best, but they are'nt the worst either.My biggest beaf with them was the other drivers droppin trailers that needed repairs and not tellin anyone about it. The repower in shreveport, the driver came in and dropped the trailer with a bad door latch. I found out about it when I hooked and did an inspection. I went up to him afterward to find out why he didnt take it to the shop. His answer brought some Fine words out of my mouth to him as to his "lazy F#@k" attitude. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

EXACTLY Sean,that qualcomm knows every foot u move the trk if u brk too hard how long you've been idleing,the idle percentage ect ect.I couild'nt handle a 59 mph trk.It's like who's goin g to win u or the RV,LOL.

The RV is gonna win against a 59 MPH speed restriction :).

With the qualcom and road ranger systems, the gps shows the longitude/latitude of the truck on the dispatchers screen, I think they actually have to punch those degrees in to get the name of where you are at, or that was the way it was

Exactally. The Lat and Lon coordinates are given to a fraction down to the square foot - though realistically the accuracy is down to 10 - 20 yards - within the actual length of a semi. You may be right in guessing the position is still given in Lat/Lon coordinates, I have not seen the screens that dispatch - etc. uses in a little over a year. But a grammer school education and a little patients with maps and charts is all anyone needs to pinpoint a Lat/Lon coordinate.

Positions given to dispatch by the system off by hundreds of miles? Either someone screwed up with the Lat/Lon coordinates, or - well - someone screwed up with the Lat/Lon coordinates. Maybe some goofy software error? GPS and GPS tracking has gotten pretty good over the years.

The QualComm software the dispatcher has on his (or her) desktop only shows general locations, like "Current Position: 1.61 miles W of Orchard Valley, WY", along with date and time. I know this because I am holding a printout from a message I sent in recently, and I was parked at the J in Cheyenne, WY. It also will show general speed and direction, but the data is not that accurate.

As far as working for USA Truck goes, the slogan on the back of the trailers says it all - "How Far Are You Going Today?"

Just how far can you go in 11 hours at 59 miles an hour?

Answer: 649 miles. If you stay in the seat the whole 11 hours. And if you can keep the truck moving 59 miles an hour for the whole 11 hours.

A few times I have called out to USA Truck drivers over the radio "How Far Are You Going Today - AT 59 Miles An Hour?", as I blast by at the speed limit plus 3. If they responded I let them know that my comment was not intended to be malicious and some of them have engaged in conversation with me until I run out of range of the radio.

Most of them say that they are looking for something better.

I feel for them, but just like in racing, someone always finishes first and then there is everyone else.

Oh, and I can see why the DOT is after their trucks, dirty, rusty, beat up, duct tape and bungee cords holding them together, exhaust stacks falling off, you get the picture.

I was headed South out of Sioux Falls on I 29 the other day and the South Dakota DOT had one of those "Truck Check Ahead" things set up just before you get to Iowa. I pulled off and slowed to a stop in front of the DOT guys who were sitting in their van. I looked over at them and they just waved at me like a neighbor would, so I smiled and waved back and went on my way.

The next truck was, yep, you guessed it, a USA Truck.

Donut break was over and those boys hopped out of their van and went to work.

I felt sorry for that USA Truck driver. Probably didn't get 649 miles in that day.

LOL,Ya I know it.What makes it even worse is its almost impossible to pass anybody even at 65 without pissing the person behind u off.When werner is passing somebody i'll just stay in the granny lane till hes finally back over.
The RV is gonna win against a 59 MPH speed restriction :).

Exactally. The Lat and Lon coordinates are given to a fraction down to the square foot - though realistically the accuracy is down to 10 - 20 yards - within the actual length of a semi. You may be right in guessing the position is still given in Lat/Lon coordinates, I have not seen the screens that dispatch - etc. uses in a little over a year. But a grammer school education and a little patients with maps and charts is all anyone needs to pinpoint a Lat/Lon coordinate.

Positions given to dispatch by the system off by hundreds of miles? Either someone screwed up with the Lat/Lon coordinates, or - well - someone screwed up with the Lat/Lon coordinates. Maybe some goofy software error? GPS and GPS tracking has gotten pretty good over the years.

The QualComm software the dispatcher has on his (or her) desktop only shows general locations, like "Current Position: 1.61 miles W of Orchard Valley, WY", along with date and time. I know this because I am holding a printout from a message I sent in recently, and I was parked at the J in Cheyenne, WY. It also will show general speed and direction, but the data is not that accurate.

As far as working for USA Truck goes, the slogan on the back of the trailers says it all - "How Far Are You Going Today?"

Answer: 649 miles. If you stay in the seat the whole 11 hours. And if you can keep the truck moving 59 miles an hour for the whole 11 hours.

A few times I have called out to USA Truck drivers over the radio "How Far Are You Going Today - AT 59 Miles An Hour?", as I blast by at the speed limit plus 3. If they responded I let them know that my comment was not intended to be malicious and some of them have engaged in conversation with me until I run out of range of the radio.

I feel for them, but just like in racing, someone always finishes first and then there is everyone else.

Oh, and I can see why the DOT is after their trucks, dirty, rusty, beat up, duct tape and bungee cords holding them together, exhaust stacks falling off, you get the picture.

I was headed South out of Sioux Falls on I 29 the other day and the South Dakota DOT had one of those "Truck Check Ahead" things set up just before you get to Iowa. I pulled off and slowed to a stop in front of the DOT guys who were sitting in their van. I looked over at them and they just waved at me like a neighbor would, so I smiled and waved back and went on my way.

I felt sorry for that USA Truck driver. Probably didn't get 649 miles in that day.
I know what trk check station youre talking about thats about a half hr from where I live.

Very true on the "general location" and what is immediatly on the D.M's. screen, but "1.61 miles W of Orchard Valley" is a pretty darn good generalization. 1.61 miles is giving a location accuracy down to within 53 feet away from a given reference point. I know I pretty much know squat because I don't even have a year OTR experience, but I have dealt with navigation and GPS for 30 years (since my military days). It all works off the same sats. And civilians do not have the accuracy restrictions they had a couple of decades ago. A typical car GPS will give your position down to mere feet on the lat/lon readout (and realistically accurate to 10 meters or so). I have checked accuracy of a lot of GPS in the $100.00 to $400.00 range against systems used in surveying costing tens of thousands of dollars and accurate to millimeters. The result was most of the general use GPS were right on the money to within 10 meters. If you can buy that kind of accuracy from your local truck stop or Wal Mart, then trucking companies - etc. concerned with hundred thousand dollar rigs and loads valued far greater will know exactally where you are. The immediate info on the screen is a general guideline, and there is no need to give a driver their exact position in log reports - etc. And they don't. But their data being "not that accurate" is okay. Trucking companies are behind the times I guess.

What I know:

I saw data on a screen with GPS coordinates in degrees, minutes, seconds then a decimal point and two places to the right of the decimal.

Latitude and equitorial longitude single degree = 69 miles. This is derived from a mean diameter of the Earth at 7,910 miles multiplied by Pi (3.14159) resulting in a circumference of 24,850 miles. Divide by 360 (number of degrees in a full circle) giving the result for 1 degree.

Latitude and equitorial longitude single minute = 1.15 miles (6,070 feet). This is derived from knowing there are 60 minutes of arc per degree and dividing 69 by 60, and multiplying the result by 5,280 (the number of feet in a mile) to bring the result down to feet.

Latitude and equitorial longitude single second = 101.16 feet. This is derived from knowing there are 60 arc seconds per arc minute (1/3600 of a degree).

The above is fairly accurate - to within about 1% - I did not feel the need to be exact :).

Seeing Lat/Lon coordinates down to two decimal places for an arc second tells me to divide 101 by 100 leaving a single foot. Granted your $400.00 GPS may not get you in a 1 foot square on most days, I have seen they usually get you in a 10 meter square. Trucks and trailers are more than 20 meters long.

But I am cool with not knowing anything because I chose to drive. And I will accept that trucking companies have extremely inaccurate data when it comes to GPS positions. And everything is different with GPS in trucking than the rest of the world. I am not angry or offended.

What I have seen and/or experienced:

I once drove a W-900 that did not have a governer on it. Going through the wide open spaces of the west, I was cruising at 80 MPH a couple of times (OOOOPPS). I recieved a speed restriction warning from the company for "70+ MPH".

Friends and trainers have told me of going out of route. Some D.Ms. will tolorate it to a point. Depending on your D.M., you will get a call after a certain distance. One example of getting caught in a lie: My friend went out of route on an occasion when he was called after 30 miles or so. The D.M. asked where he was. He said southbound I-95 just past the exit for I-20. His D.M. replied "then what are you doing on 501 approaching Conway, S.C.?". BUSTED!!!!!! My friend had plenty of time and decided he was going to visit a cousin. Result: He ended up being charged for his out of route miles because he lied and did not have an okay to go out of route.

I overheard of a truck being abandoned with a load. Driver really pissed off with the company, and just did not care anymore. No word from the driver of where the truck was. Just "goodbye". Nothing disabled. Company had the coordinates for the truck, and located within the hour by police. Sent recovery driver to get the truck soon after.

So based on my experience with GPS, and what I have seen and experienced for myself in my short career as a driver, I am pretty convinced they know where you are. And when a D.M. would ask where I am, I had to bite really hard on my tongue to keep from asking him how many feet he wants to know I am from a certain house address, or the service buildings at a service area or truck stop I am in. Yet he sees X number of miles and a decimal point and XX after that from a given reference point either north, south, east or west.

Like I said, I am okay with being a stupid unemployed driver (twice as stupid for being unemployed because of a termination) who probably can't get back in the business, and I know nothing about the ops of the trucking companies - it's all good. Believe me, I am okay - I'm cool - I'm calm as a squirrel hibernating in winter. I've accepted certain things. As with my bad experiences, I just post what I have seen, heard and experienced for myself. The reader can judge for themselves.

As for "looking for something better" and wanting to get out of certain companies. I can relate. I would probably even drive for USA right now to get enough experience to go to another company who requires at least 6 months or a year. But unfortunately, USA now requires 6 months :(. I'm probably better off if USA trucks are targeted by D.O.T. officers because of shabby equipment. It'd just be another fight with another D.M. about repairs, and it NOT costing the D.M. or the company if I am caught with a violation. I'm the driver - it's my responsibility - I get the citation. It's a "catch 22" job for the most part.

LOL,Ya I know it.What makes it even worse is its almost impossible to pass anybody even at 65 without pissing the person behind u off.When werner is passing somebody i'll just stay in the granny lane till hes finally back over.

I was satisfied being in the Granny Lane with slow company trucks if I could only overtake another slow truck by a half a mile an hour or so. I just stayed back a truck length or two until he either left the interstate, or I had plenty of time to pass him. I could not get too concerned if it took me a few extra seconds to go each mile. As for the few 59 MPH trucks and those who have them - they should look on the bright side. Hard to get a speeding ticket on any interstate unless you are in SLOWHIO and happen to come across a totally bored officer who nabs you for going 4 MPH over the limit :).

Sorry for another thousand word essay. I did try to keep it short.

Be safe all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.