Trucking Regulations: Truckers allege Mexico-based operators are stealing jobs, profits

I am not sure If any of you have crossed a border and drove a truck in a foreign land I am going to assume you have not.
It ****ing sucks!
You are not a citizen, Your in a foreign country. Many things are very different.
I assume that is why many American drivers choose not to cross the border and why many Canadians choose not to cross the border and why many Mexicans chose not to run too deep in the U.S. Everyone is way more comfortable operating in their own country.

Don't get me wrong I had a great time running the U.S. and met a metric shit tonne of good people! I ate some of the best food, saw some amazing sights.

Truth be told, I could make more money and would be happier just dropping shit off in Detroit.

What I learned at my time at ATS in 2009-2010 is that lease programs suck.

The thing I learned about Mexican freight was that it's very hot in Laredo. ATS has a terminal there. The other thing I learned was that the US company hauling the Mexican freight sometimes either owned outright, or had a big controlling interest in the Mexican trucking company.

JB own the Mexican company. JB owns the US side. That sort of thing. Same thing with Schneider.

It's like taking money out of your left pocket and putting it in your right.

If anything RICO statues and monopoly laws are stretched to their max.

Also, many times, a load you hauled into Laredo, and busted your ass to tie down and tarp went south of the border with a fraction of the securement and zero tarp.

So yes, safety concerns.
Exactly! American and even Canadian trucking companies have operations in Mexico.

I am not sure If any of you have crossed a border and drove a truck in a foreign land I am going to assume you have not.
It ****ing sucks!
You are not a citizen, Your in a foreign country. Many things are very different.
I assume that is why many American drivers choose not to cross the border and why many Canadians choose not to cross the border and why many Mexicans chose not to run too deep in the U.S. Everyone is way more comfortable operating in their own country.

Don't get me wrong I had a great time running the U.S. and met a metric shit tonne of good people! I ate some of the best food, saw some amazing sights.

Truth be told, I could make more money and would be happier just dropping shit off in Detroit.
The last time I was in Canada you didn’t need a passport if that tells you anything.

Used to drive into Canada regularly back when I was new to trucking. Overall, it was a good experience.

Driven in Mexico, but not a truck. Currently, I wouldn't drive a truck in Mexico. That said, I would love for it to get to a point where it was safe to do so. I'd like nothing more than to take the wife down with me into Michoacan and hang out with family down there for a couple of days once in a while. We are a long way from that being safe though. It would be about as insane as driving through the south side of Chicago at night. Actually, the south side of Chicago may be more dangerous at this point.

The last time I drove in Canada my Garmin GPS didnt work. It always showed my truck icon off the side of the road and was constantly confused.

Probably because its still 1993 in Alberta and the province doesn't know about GPS's yet.

Used to drive into Canada regularly back when I was new to trucking. Overall, it was a good experience.

Driven in Mexico, but not a truck. Currently, I wouldn't drive a truck in Mexico. That said, I would love for it to get to a point where it was safe to do so. I'd like nothing more than to take the wife down with me into Michoacan and hang out with family down there for a couple of days once in a while. We are a long way from that being safe though. It would be about as insane as driving through the south side of Chicago at night. Actually, the south side of Chicago may be more dangerous at this point.
The oversize route is through Chicago’s south side. It’s crazy expensive to run os on the toll way. It’s definitely different but nobody has ever bothered me. I would like to truck in Mexico too. At least once anyhow.

The last time I drove in Canada my Garmin GPS didnt work. It always showed my truck icon off the side of the road and was constantly confused.

Probably because its still 1993 in Alberta and the province doesn't know about GPS's yet.
No it's because Alberta is so flat you can drive through the corn fields and still get back on the road. :D

Probably because geostationary satellites are over the equator and Canada is way up there, north of North.

The last time I was in Canada you didn’t need a passport if that tells you anything.
You still don't need a Passport. Canada only requires you have a birth certificate and a drivers licence to enter.
Now going back to the U.S. they require a Passport but, They can not deny entry to an American citizen.
So in theory, As an American you do not need a passport.

You still don't need a Passport. Canada only requires you have a birth certificate and a drivers licence to enter.
Now going back to the U.S. they require a Passport but, They can not deny entry to an American citizen.
So in theory, As an American you do not need a passport.
did not know this

They have to let you in but they're going to make you jump through a ton of hoops to prove you're a citizen.
Oh you bet your ass U.S. customs is going to detain you until they verify everything!
But at the end of the day, An American can not be denied entry to The U.S.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread