The War Path

Max chains in CA is 6 total chains. Outer on each drive, and a set on a trailer axle. Both tires per side on a drive axle only applies to single screw trucks. They shut it down otherwise, as that extra set of 2 chains isn't honestly going to help.
California chain chart:
View attachment 47597
Yet another good reason to let Commiefornia starve...

Like they are the only ones with chain restrictions like this.

Like they are the only ones with chain restrictions like this.

They're the worst for insisting that you chain up to drive miles on barely wet roads.

Max chains in CA is 6 total chains. Outer on each drive, and a set on a trailer axle. Both tires per side on a drive axle only applies to single screw trucks. They shut it down otherwise, as that extra set of 2 chains isn't honestly going to help.
I was going off this, from the link in the post you quoted:

"
What chains are required for an “18-wheeler?”

An 18-wheeler (typically a combination consisting of a 3-axle tractor and 2-axle semitrailer, but including other combinations and axle counts) is required to have chains on:

• All four tires on the main (usually front) drive axle
  • The two outside tires on the other (usually rear) drive axle
  • One tire on each side of the trailer (front or rear axle, or staggered OK)
  • No chains are required on the steering axle"
Adds up to eight.

Sounds like overkill to me. But California probably doesn't get enough snow or ice to understand the difference.
California contains the highest mountain in the contiguous 48 States, Mt. Whitney at 14,505 feet. The Sierra Nevadas and Southern Cascades run through much of California and the Siskiyou Range Borders Oregon at the North end.

Lake Tahoe:
deep-snow-at-kirkwood.jpg

Donner Pass:

I'd say California gets its share of snow.

California contains the highest mountain in the contiguous 48 States, Mt. Whitney at 14,505 feet. The Sierra Nevadas and Southern Cascades run through much of California and the Siskiyou Range Borders Oregon at the North end.

Lake Tahoe:

Donner Pass:

and they can keep every stinking flake of it too....(in the land of fruits and nuts, and of course, FLAKES)

Last edited:
I was going off this, from the link in the post you quoted:

"
What chains are required for an “18-wheeler?”

An 18-wheeler (typically a combination consisting of a 3-axle tractor and 2-axle semitrailer, but including other combinations and axle counts) is required to have chains on:

• All four tires on the main (usually front) drive axle
  • The two outside tires on the other (usually rear) drive axle
  • One tire on each side of the trailer (front or rear axle, or staggered OK)
  • No chains are required on the steering axle"
Adds up to eight.
Not if you carry dual chains for the front drive. One chain that goes over the whole set of duals like I carry. I have 2 dual chains and 4 single chains for a total of 6 CA legal chains.

Lake Tahoe:

Donner Pass:

Do they require 8 chains in the San Fernando Valley too?

By a couple of hundred feet. By far, there is more 14,000+ foot real estate in Colorado than anywhere else in the lower 48.

Not if you carry dual chains for the front drive. One chain that goes over the whole set of duals like I carry. I have 2 dual chains and 4 single chains for a total of 6 CA legal chains.

Enough chains to cover eight tires unless you're running wide singles.
You're splitting hairs here. Technically, one three-rail counts as two chains. And I used them a lot before I got with my current company and I would here, too if they had them. They're easier to deal with than singles. When I carried them, I had one pair of rails plus six singles, so still enough for 10 tires.

By a couple of hundred feet. By far, there is more 14,000+ foot real estate in Colorado than anywhere else in the lower 48.
Colorado has the highest average altitude. But that wasn't the comment I responded to. Somebody made the ridiculous claim that California doesn't get much snow.

And DC, seriously? San Fernando Valley? You're going to use a 5,000 square mile area to form an opinion about a 163,696 square mile State?

On Donner they either have max chains which is single on drives so four singles and one single one each side on trailer 6total. Or minimum chains which is one set on drive one set one trailer 4 total.

Lake Tahoe:

Donner Pass:

And lots of that snow around Donner and Lake Tahoe is heavy, i.e. it has a high water content. Normally the snow/water ratio is 12/1, i.e. 12 inches of snow equal one inch of water. The stuff in Injun's pics might be snow known as Sierra Cement with snow/water ratio of 5/1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread