steer tires and load rating

which load rating do you prefer?

• G

• H

Results are only viewable after voting.
One of the guys I once drove for used to buy the double coins, they'd do real good for a while, but when they started to cup they literally would be down to cord in very short order, like 1000-1500 miles. Never seen a tire a go away so fast.

Double coins are overpriced Chinese. Chinese are fine on trailers or traction but never on steer.

For the price of doublecoin I can put customers into major Brand or can save significant money on a same quality Different brand Chinese that will be less than double coin and Perform the same.

Last edited:
Title said steer tire and load rating.....;). In trucker speak, that would be weight rating.

I'm talking steer tires and either a load rating of G or H.

I'd give you a weight too, but they tend to vary by manufacturer.

And I haven't seen any J rated @Hammer166

I am leaning towards Bridgestone R283's. G is rated for 6158 lbs and the H is rated for 6618. ( if memory serves me correctly.). About $50 difference in price.

On 22.5 and 24.5 the 2 load ratings will be 14 ply (g) or 16 ply (h).

Flotation tire in 22.5 (315's 385's 425's 445's) will be 18 or 20ply.

The load ratings will be similar amongst most manufacturers. You will always have 2 load ratings., single and dual ratings. Single ratings are always higher than a dual axle. Obviously with dual axle you take the dual load rating x 4.

I have learned I do want a trailer tire with the decoupling groove. Better edge wear and longer life. Just like the steers.

Decoupling groove is fine on trailer as long as it's not a spread axle, and ask long as your doing mostly long haul highway with minimal off road.

If very regional with short trips lots of turns the decoupling groove will want to start tearing. If off road a lot the groove will pick up rocks and will want to start chipping and tearing while turning. On a spread axle the tires take significantly more abuse turning which again leads to chipping and tearing.

This is exactly applied to your steer application also.

Basically decoupling groove is great in long haul highway and bad in regional/off-road.

Anyone doing regional driving should normally stick to solid rib steers and solid rib tread for trailer.

Last edited:
Most car haulers and step decks should go with 25570R22.5. The reason being is this size is really made as a heavy duty 16 ply tire for this application. 275's are very similar, but they are more difficult to find which means can be expensive. 29575r22.5 is normally 14ply, not very many 16plys, I always carry a few, but with the weight of step deck or car carrier you need to stay 16ply.

255/70R22.5 is a drive/trailer size. They don't have the weight capacity for steers. And 295/75 is WAY too tall for a stinger. Most have switched to the 295/60 for the increased weight capacity because of the EPA crap adding weight to the steers. That size is close enough to the 255/70's that you could run them on the same axle, just not the same hub.

255/70R22.5 is a drive/trailer size. They don't have the weight capacity for steers. And 295/75 is WAY too tall for a stinger. Most have switched to the 295/60 for the increased weight capacity because of the EPA crap adding weight to the steers. That size is close enough to the 255/70's that you could run them on the same axle, just not the same hub.

On the 25570R22.5 I am referring to trailer application, specifically on car carriers or step decks. On the lo pro 22.5 (29575R22.5) I was saying because of ply rating it wouldn't even be considered, but yes 29575R22.5 would be about 2inches higher than 29560R22.5.

Approximate height(overall diameter)
11R22.5 41 inches
29575R22.5 40 inches
29560R22.5 38 inches
25570R22.5 36 inches

On 22.5 and 24.5 the 2 load ratings will be 14 ply (g) or 16 ply (h).

Flotation tire in 22.5 (315's 385's 425's 445's) will be 18 or 20ply.

The load ratings will be similar amongst most manufacturers. You will always have 2 load ratings., single and dual ratings. Single ratings are always higher than a dual axle. Obviously with dual axle you take the dual load rating x 4.

As I pointed out earlier, they are also available in load range 'J'.

On the 25570R22.5 I am referring to trailer application, specifically on car carriers or step decks. On the lo pro 22.5 (29575R22.5) I was saying because of ply rating it wouldn't even be considered, but yes 29575R22.5 would be about 2inches higher than 29560R22.5.

Approximate height(overall diameter)
11R22.5 41 inches
29575R22.5 40 inches
29560R22.5 38 inches
25570R22.5 36 inches

don't know where you're getting your numbers.

225/70 36.7" And only good for 11k#
275/70 38.1" And only in LR J (at least in Michelin), 13880#. This was the standard carhaul steer prior to the aftertreatment trucks.
295/60 36.1" Also LR J only, good for 14780#, and the current standard carhaul steer.

Appreciate you trying to increase our knowledge and such, but that would require having the proper info and all that.

As I pointed out earlier, they are also available in load range 'J'.

don't know where you're getting your numbers.

225/70 36.7" And only good for 11k#
275/70 38.1" And only in LR J (at least in Michelin), 13880#. This was the standard carhaul steer prior to the aftertreatment trucks.
295/60 36.1" Also LR J only, good for 14780#, and the current standard carhaul steer.

Appreciate you trying to increase our knowledge and such, but that would require having the proper info and all that.
Nice man, trying to degrade me with your shot at having "proper info". . As I mentioned my heights were approximate #'s and didn't even ,mention 22270 or 27570 the diameters I mentioned are approximate #'s. There are michelinS 29560R22.5 that are 38inches, and yes indeed I am sure they will also go lower based upon manufacturer, model, and mfg date. I used the word approximate. And yes this size also comes in J in at least Michelin. Again APPROXIMATE #'s, but pretty damn accurate info, of course will vary by manufacturer.

In the short time I have been here I have seen people be pleasant and have had useful conversations. Didn't really expect trollish comments such as yours. Definitely have better things to do, and don't need to deal with negativity after a hard day at work. I have no problem not posting here although I have enjoyed reading and posting.

Last edited:
Nice man, trying to degrade me with your shot at having "proper info". . As I mentioned my heights were approximate #'s and didn't even ,mention 22270 or 27570 the diameters I mentioned are approximate #'s. There are michelinS 29560R22.5 that are 38inches, and yes indeed I am sure they will also go lower based upon manufacturer, model, and mfg date. I used the word approximate. And yes this size also comes in J in at least Michelin. Again APPROXIMATE #'s, but pretty damn accurate info, of course will vary by manufacturer.

In the short time I have been here I have seen people be pleasant and have had useful conversations. Didn't really expect trollish comments such as yours. Definitely have better things to do, and don't need to deal with negativity after a hard day at work. I have no problem not posting here although I have enjoyed reading and posting.

No, please do keep posting. That was a bit of cheap shot, I should have put a bit, okay, a lot nicer. But if your gonna come on as a tire expert, know your stuff. Don't correct the proper info with erroneous.

You quoted my post about carhaul steer, I assume that was the continued topic. For the record, 2" on the front of a carhauler is a BFD, and I knew what I was posting when I mentioned that they were the same diameter as the 255/70's, and the only way 295/60 makes 38" is if you wrap a gator around it. I went and looked up the exact numbers before I posted the measurements the second time. And those two sizes that we use up there are both LRJ only (in Michelin.)

had to get the picture into the computer to resize it.

At the time this picture was taken, there was still 100 psi of air in the tire. It was a bomb waiting to explode. an hour later, it was still at 90 PSI and the guy broke it down had to wait as if it was still full of air to deflate it.

There was NO indication that this tire was failing. No pull, vibration or anything.
tire_web.jpg

The only thing I could find to remove the residue that sprayed all over the truck was the Orange Peel Adhesive remover I have at the house here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread