Steel versus aluminum

Khance

I need to buy new rims for my trailer Does it matter if I buy steel or aluminum and why

what is on the trailer now?

A lot of times, some will put steel on the inside and aluminum on the outside. If you do, make sure you put a plastic insert between them or the first time you go to take them off, they won't come.

Steel is about 35-40 lbs heavier each rim compared to aluminum.

if you currently are all steel rims, it's likely you have short studs and you will NOT be able to use aluminum rims unless you replace the studs too.

likewise. If you have aluminum rims, you will have long studs. Because of this, the threads don't go down far enough to let you install steel rims. Fix is to replace studs as well.

so that begs the question.

What is CURRENTLY on the trailer?

That looks totally cheap... like a Schneider trailer.

:stirpot2:y
They looked cheap when they were new. So what's the difference.

Remove 'em (or tape the hubs) and Vaseline the tire. Spray. Wipe Vaseline. Reinstall. Done.

If they're rusty, sand 'em down first.

They looked cheap when they were new. So what's the difference.

Remove 'em (or tape the hubs) and Vaseline the tire. Spray. Wipe Vaseline. Reinstall. Done.

If they're rusty, sand 'em down first.
i think he should paint them first, then sand them, then wash them....

sheesh, you're a home owner, don't you paint your walls that way..????

The weight difference would be the only reason I would consider switching if I already had painted rims.

Is weight ever an issue, and would 300lbs of extra capacity be enough benefit to justify the cost of converting?

some of the prettiest trucks/trailers i had ever seen, was when i'd be up around the MI area, and the Steelcase company trucks were on the road..all blue rigs, chromed wheels, all around.

i don't know if they still have thier own fleet or not, their website shows nothing.

The weight difference would be the only reason I would consider switching if I already had painted rims.

Is weight ever an issue, and would 300lbs of extra capacity be enough benefit to justify the cost of converting?
Go to wide singles, there's another 500 lbs. Lighter weight structures, etc. Some of the megas have increased their trailer capacity by up to 3000 lbs.

Go to wide singles, there's another 500 lbs. Lighter weight structures, etc. Some of the megas have increased their trailer capacity by up to 3000 lbs.
I take whatever they decide to use for road base into landfills from time to time. The drivers for a couple of companies I know of trying to run walking floors and tippers with super singles as well as any that have had to deal with them will tell you it's all fun and games with those things till you need a bit of traction. I know MOST don't do nearly as much off road as we do but I'm thinking of maybe ice being problematic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread