OOIDA for Insurance

SaddleTramp

It's time for me to brainstorm.....

Since I am not equipped with a brain, I need help from the members of TFN :TF2:

So, been on the phone today with OOIDA, and depending on how all the numbers add up, I think I will be finally getting my own authority.

I need ideas for a name. I want to tie the name into the forum to an extent. Going to be filing an LLC, so will need to get this squared away before going forward with anything else.

My first thought was TF Transportation. dunno, might be to plain. Best I have come up with though.

anyhow, it's something to do while waiting on a current insurance quote. After receiving that, my next stop will be checking on trailer financing.

Are you going through OOIDA for insurance? they are the cheapest I have found, if you don't hear from them call back, they can get busy.

Are you going through OOIDA for insurance? they are the cheapest I have found, if you don't hear from them call back, they can get busy.

OOIDA is telling me that a driver with 8 years experience is uninsurable. You have to have 9+ years to get insurance.

I just called and told them I am sitting here looking at my membership renewal form and I thought it was BS their claim that someone with 8 years experience can't get insured when I am talking to someone with 5 years who does have insurance through them.

Their response and answer to that question is directly related to whether or not I will now renew.

I just called and told them I am sitting here looking at my membership renewal form and I thought it was BS their claim that someone with 8 years experience can't get insured when I am talking to someone with 5 years who does have insurance through them.

Their response and answer to that question is directly related to whether or not I will now renew.
Yeah I never heard the 8-year part but I do know about one truck only.

Yeah I never heard the 8-year part but I do know about one truck only.

9 years experience is what they told me, no problem with that. Multiple drivers being leased on to your authority is ok as well, but they are also held to that 9 year requirement.

Waiting on a quote from them right now.

The F if I am going to be running with the myriad of chicken feces mega outfits for a decade before I can run leased on with someone.

Explains why I got the quote I did. They wanted almost 7k for bobtail. Called Hatch... 2k thereabouts, same coverages. Guess they don't want more O/O's on the road... just as bad as the megas with self-creation of a "driver shortage".

what I was told later today....

For an single truck O/O, it's 4 years experience. For anyone that's leased on to you, then it's 8 years minimum experience.

Sounds like OOIDA got their ass handed to them in some claims and they bumped up the experience required.

That led to a rather interesting discussion on the ELD mandate that prompted my other thread.

I told them that if I were to renew, they have 14 days to answer my question I posed to them.
Trucking Regulations: - 14 day challenge to OOIDA.....

9 years experience is what they told me, no problem with that. Multiple drivers being leased on to your authority is ok as well, but they are also held to that 9 year requirement.

Waiting on a quote from them right now.

OOIDA insurance wood not let me travel in Alberta or British Columbia when I checked with them for a quote 3 years ago. I thank Manitoba and Saskatchewan are the only two provinces that they would cover at that time.

Last edited:
what I was told later today....

For an single truck O/O, it's 4 years experience. For anyone that's leased on to you, then it's 8 years minimum experience.

Sounds like OOIDA got their ass handed to them in some claims and they bumped up the experience required.

That led to a rather interesting discussion on the ELD mandate that prompted my other thread.

I told them that if I were to renew, they have 14 days to answer my question I posed to them.
Trucking Regulations: - 14 day challenge to OOIDA.....
My own authority, nobody else driving my truck, it is 4 years.
My own authority and someone else driving my truck, 9 years.
My own authority for 3 years, then I can put multiple trucks on.

Just got off the phone.
Interesting changes since I last talked to them.

they was 1400.00 higher than the people I usually use.I told them no thanks
who do you normally use.

I have sentry now, was quoted Lancer, Northland and a couple others. All over $9000 per truck. unlimited miles, $150K cargo, $1M liability and $2500 deductible.

northland 500 mile radius
100,000 cargo,1,000,000 liability and general liability too
1000 ded
2 trucks 2 trailers,dry vans

My quote came in at $7800. 100/1000000, additional tow and cleanup, $2500 travel expense, terrorism coverage, uninsured and underinsured.

My quote came in at $7800. 100/1000000, additional tow and cleanup, $2500 travel expense, terrorism coverage, uninsured and underinsured.

How long have you had your CDL?

That's a pretty good price. I think I was around 6800.00? +/- when I hung it up. 2012. I'll see if I can find my last quote.

Edit: or 5800. My memory is terrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread