Truck Insurance - Anybody using OOIDA Or Have Reccomendations On Others?

Mike

My truck is supposed to be ready to pick up by Thanksgiving, so planning on picking it up the following week.

In plans for that, I am looking into insurance options and decided to do an online quote with OOIDA, but would like to know from anybody here who uses them how they like the coverage.

Would also like to know about other providers that you may be using.

Judging from the OOIDA quote, I may be able to save a little over what I would be paying through Schneider's program.

I will need bobtail insurance, at a minimum, just to pick the truck up from Fitzgerald and drive it to Charlotte, NC.

I checked OOIDA. They have list of brokers who don't accept their insurance. Think half their list is people we used.

Good information to know.

I will be leased to a carrier though, so I don't have to worry about that too much yet. Again, great to know for the future though.

I'm curious. If your staying with Schneider why wouldn't your truck be fully insured right away right off the lot? It seems your going to get temporary bobtail insurance to drive it home or to work then insure it again right away?

I only ever used OOIDA.
Quotes were close, some even a little cheaper but the reality is that OOIDA uses revenues to finance our agenda while most traditional insurance companies finance initiatives in direct opposition to the principals of most drivers.

Traditional insurance companies lobby for legislation detrimental to the best interest of their customer base.

Paying your money to a traditional insurance company is like donating to ATA to promote things you don't want.

That being said I've had a couple of claims over the years and have been more than satisfied with how my claims were handled.

I don't want to influence you though.
If you want to be a back-stabbing rat-bastard who would sell out your brethren and reward those who oppose us for a dollar or two it's entirely your choice.

I checked OOIDA. They have list of brokers who don't accept their insurance. Think half their list is people we used.

I only ever saw a couple of names on that list I ever even heard of.
Landstarve being the most notable and they customized their requirements for the express purpose of excluding OOIDA because they were pissed off about getting their ass sued over truth in leasing law violations.

I was running 3 or 4 trucks for 8 years and LS was the only broker I ever used who said they wouldn't accept OOIDA insurance... next time. They accepted it for the 2 or 3 loads that I did haul for them which were the only loads I ever wanted to haul for the cheap bastards.

I will need bobtail insurance, at a minimum, just to pick the truck up from Fitzgerald and drive it to Charlotte, NC.

Unless you have a lease in effect at the time of purchase I don't think bobtail will cover you.
In fact, I don't even think any insurance company will write bobtail for you without a lease in effect.
Bobtail is non-trucking liability and it only covers you in lieu of the carriers primary liability when you are leased but not under dispatch. Bobtail is actually not required except by companies who use it to preclude their own insurance from covering a claim in certain situations.

Since most of the bigs are self-insured up to a point they require bobtail to avoid paying (some) claims out of pocket.
The carriers primary liability MUST ultimately cover your leased on unit in any situation, laden or unladen.

Anyway, I'm not an insurance expert but you need to check this out sooner rather than later.

When I picked up my truck I didn't have a lease or my authority. I got bobtail insurance and the place where I bought the truck supplied the temporary cardboard plate to get home.

I couldn't get a real plate because I wasn't leased on.
I couldn't get my authority until I got insurance. I couldn't get insurance until I bought a truck
It all had to be done in order.

When I picked up my truck I didn't have a lease or my authority. I got bobtail insurance and the place where I bought the truck supplied the temporary cardboard plate to get home.

I couldn't get a real plate because I wasn't leased on.
I couldn't get my authority until I got insurance. I couldn't get insurance until I bought a truck
It all had to be done in order.

Fitzgerald will provide a 30 day drive away tag, but I will have to be insured before I take it off the lot.

Since I did an online quote with OOIDA, I expect they will be calling me this morning and will let me know the specifics on that. Otherwise, I will call them at some point today.

I talked to both northland and lancer. Northland started talking how they could beat anyone's rate. They gave me a quote almost $1800 less than lancer. When all was said and done, lancer gave me slightly better coverage and for about $150 more money.

I went with lancer because in the end when I went to bind the northland, the "hidden fees" hit for monthly payments, state charges etc and the rate jumped almost $1700.

If they were going to do that on the premium, what would they do to me on a claim.

I talked to both northland and lancer. Northland started talking how they could beat anyone's rate. They gave me a quote almost $1800 less than lancer. When all was said and done, lancer gave me slightly better coverage and for about $150 more money.

I went with lancer because in the end when I went to bind the northland, the "hidden fees" hit for monthly payments, state charges etc and the rate jumped almost $1700.

If they were going to do that on the premium, what would they do to me on a claim.

Coverage is a big thing.
Most only look for the absolute lowest premium and think they're getting the best deal...
until they need insurance.

A good agent will discuss optional endorsements and help you make an informed decision on what you want and what you want to pay for instead of trying to lock down a commission with minimal effort. I had several endorsements in place. Hazmat clean up for one. EPA regs can put you out of business just on a fuel spill in some situations and most policies have a cap for tow and clean up. It doesn't cost much but it can be a big deal in the right (or rather, wrong) situation.

Terrorism is another.
Most policies exclude coverage for acts of war OR CIVIL UNREST.
Again, it doesn't cost much but with all the BS going on around the country not having the rider would be pretty ignorant IMO.

I had 5 or 6 riders on my policy.
I don't even recall all of them off hand but the point is to BUY insurance rather than allowing an agent to SELL you insurance.

Looks like I will be getting insurance through OOIDA. Insurance rates will be less than what I would pay through Schneider, they have policies for everything I need (including occupational), AND they are able to write a temporary 5 day policy to allow me to get the truck to wherever I need to go in order to lease on. The last part basically sealed it for now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom