Let's talk about hourly wages.

Rasar

This is the real salary of truckers! 27 $ -30 $ per hour plus overtime after eight hours of work! Any other type of salary is discriminatory, allowing companies not to pay for the many types of work that a trucker does, and also provokes violations of traffic rules, forcing the driver to experience constant stress. Salary miles does not guarantee income to the truck driver, even if the driver is in the workplace, and is responsible for cargo and equipment around the clock. Compensation for work must include all the time that the trucker is in the workplace and is responsible.

535B3CD9-540A-4D1B-B41F-DD1ADA4808C2.jpeg

Local outfit here upped their mileage rate to 80 cents. Don't know if there are accessorials added to that but if not it still doesn't work out to be enough. You're not averaging 60mph doing local work.

Heck a 24 mile round trip run can take an hour and a half or better, without traffic.

Local outfit here upped their mileage rate to 80 cents. Don't know if there are accessorials added to that but if not it still doesn't work out to be enough. You're not averaging 60mph doing local work.

Heck a 24 mile round trip run can take an hour and a half or better, without traffic.
thing that always makes me second guess such high milage pay is...how many miles are the drivers really getting. the "some companies" if they don;t give you the miles they pay short haul, which (i believe) comes to less that that higher per mile pay..

yes, going to downtown Boston for my 2 stops at night is great, i can get into Boston, drop off/reload, and be on my way to the next Boston stop...but this is at night, even when the Red Sox are in town, or something is going on at the TD Center, like a Celts or Bruins game.

but try and do my route during the day time..??

by the time i go say about 10 miles on the expressway, it's like nearly 2 hours, and god forbid there are any crashes..!!!

thing that always makes me second guess such high milage pay is...how many miles are the drivers really getting. the "some companies" if they don;t give you the miles they pay short haul, which (i believe) comes to less that that higher per mile pay..

yes, going to downtown Boston for my 2 stops at night is great, i can get into Boston, drop off/reload, and be on my way to the next Boston stop...but this is at night, even when the Red Sox are in town, or something is going on at the TD Center, like a Celts or Bruins game.

but try and do my route during the day time..??

by the time i go say about 10 miles on the expressway, it's like nearly 2 hours, and god forbid there are any crashes..!!!
Yup that 80¢ is for the night shift and it makes me wonder. If I ran the same miles as I do now, that's great and about what I earn now. But if it's less due to inefficiencies or live unloads then it'd be garbage.

Salary miles are calculated so as to pay the least possible. And the salary per hour guarantees income, even if the truck is idle. And it is not very profitable for companies. All wages per mile are thought out so that everyone will get about the same money for one day of work. And no matter how many cents you get per mile!

Kinda depends. I'm mileage plus load and shorthaul (ironically not for short but for 100+ miles) and it blows the doors off what most outfits want to pay hourly.

Basically works out to about 90¢ a mile or $38/hr with the shortest ones being the most lucrative, close to $3/mile or $48/hr.

The best paying one we have is about $106/hr or $18/mile. Lol. It takes about half an hour to do and it's only 2.9 miles from the rail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Night work kills, so the salary is more. It doesn't matter for miles or for hours.
It is more profitable for companies to pay for miles. When drivers start earning for the time spent, then wages will rise sharply, and competition will begin. Then the dispatchers will start to work better, because not the driver but the company will pay for the off duty.
And today, all truckers get about the same: if you change during the day, on dry veins, and two days off a week, then about $ 300 comes out per day. And no matter how much they give per mile.

All truckers make about the same?

I know that isn't true. Everyone knows that isn't true.

For the same work and mode of operation, pay the same, although the salary for miles may be different. No matter what province you live in. Where the salary is less per mile, there is not much traffic and you can drive more miles. Everything is designed so that companies can deceive an employee and not make competition. It is necessary for the driver to look not at the salary per mile, but how much money is received for one day of work and for 22 days of work if the driver works five days a week. Everyone comes out about $ 300 a day. But at the same time, many are sure that they earn more than others)

For the same work and mode of operation, pay the same, although the salary for miles may be different. No matter what province you live in. Where the salary is less per mile, there is not much traffic and you can drive more miles. Everything is designed so that companies can deceive an employee and not make competition. It is necessary for the driver to look not at the salary per mile, but how much money is received for one day of work and for 22 days of work if the driver works five days a week. Everyone comes out about $ 300 a day. But at the same time, many are sure that they earn more than others)
Must be a Canadian thing.

In the United States, too, their problems. They have to pay all the insurance, toll roads, medicine and more.
In Canada, the company pays for benefits, pension plans, medical care is free. Return taxes. I see a lot of truckers in the United States have no teeth and look terrible! No better than Canadians.

I heard Bernie is an expert at paying his troops.
I literally just closed an article about this same thing right before posting this. It's hilarious.

Our company did the same thing with the day drivers though. They upped their pay scale (load and mileage) to what night and weekends make but took a day off their schedule. They end up earning the same.

It's really not bad though for them. They earn the same for less work. They just don't earn more for less work like they were pitched. But in their shoes I'd take the deal. They average 65k working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday in the daylight and still go home every day. In trucking, that's a good deal.

I do not understand why no one wants to work as truckers! Why such a shortage of drivers, if everything is so good in the industry and such excellent salaries ?!
I'm surprised! And not only am I surprised. The government also cannot understand why no one wants to work 70 hours a week and leave the family for 5 or 14 days in a row, for $ 50,000 a year, working only 22 or 25 days in a month! Is it really not cool to earn by miles and not be sure of your income ?! It's cool when you are at work a week in a row, and you earn not in time but for the number of miles that you managed to drive in traffic, in snowfall, while waiting for cargo or repair !!! And why nobody wants to work like that? It is very strange! The government needs to create a commission to check it out!

Until companies start paying for all hours and not miles, while the income of the trucker is at the level of the income of construction workers, no normal person will come to work in this industry. And women and young people will not help. Young wants to relax on weekends and not to sit in a truck without a guaranteed income !! As long as the government does not ban wages for miles, it will only get worse and worse !!! And it will hit hard on the economy.
Salary truckers should compensate for all the inconveniences of this work. Companies must guarantee the driver’s income, not just their own. Salary should be for hours or days: stable and not dependent on changing conditions on the road or on the availability of cargo. This is a problem of companies and not an employee !!!
There is such a clever proverb in Russian: the miser pays twice!

XTL Introduced an hourly pay package for their OTR drivers. It has not done much to attract qualified drivers.

It depends on what you're doing as the industry isn't one size fits all. In some instances, mileage pay and percentage pay pays better than hourly, and vice-versa for other instances.

It also depends on what you're getting paid. For example, $15 an hour to drive a semi or even a class b dump truck is an insult, and that's what most carriers pay. I wouldn't turn the key for $15 an hour because I can go to Amazon and make that on a forklift to start with.

It depends on what you're doing as the industry isn't one size fits all. In some instances, mileage pay and percentage pay pays better than hourly, and vice-versa for other instances.

It also depends on what you're getting paid. For example, $15 an hour to drive a semi or even a class b dump truck is an insult, and that's what most carriers pay. I wouldn't turn the key for $15 an hour because I can go to Amazon and make that on a forklift to start with.
P&G pays their yard dogs $19 and change to start. So that's what I'd do instead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread