Is this worth considering?

Classic359

Hey guys! This might get long so get comfortable. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan as an Engineer in the Illinois Army National Guard (2nd deployment, 1st was in Iraq). Yesterday I was on the internet and a guy I do some business with asked me if I wanted to drive for him. 25% Line haul and 50% tarp fees was the initial offer (I didn't ask much more than that). I'm 27, have an uncle that has been an owner operator for 25+ years, have a little experience driving and hauling mostly heavy equipment (D-7's and bigger) while in the military and am pretty mechanically inclined. I've been helping with trucks as long as I was big enough to walk to the toolbox and bring wrenches back. The thing is I'm currently a Union Plumber, Pipefitter and Welder in southern Illinois and make 34.00 an hour with medical and a retirement. The work will be regional (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan) an I can work as hard or as slow as I want. Would this be an option any of you would consider? I've always wanted to drive for a living and love nothing more than chaining down a big dozer to haul. I just don't want to make the wrong decision and put my current career at risk if the driving thing doesn't work out. Last thing, I'm going to be getting married next May and How would starting a family be while beginning a driving career?

Thanks for reading all this guys and any advise you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:usaflag:

Thanks! One cool thing was that she was supporting whichever decision I would have made when I came home. I'm pretty lucky!

It's easy to say "I support whatever decision you make." ...until there are two kids in school and one in diapers, the oldest is getting in fights and not listening to his mom because his dad is gone all the time, the middle child plays soccer and you miss every game except maybe one, so she doesn't think you care and the baby that you weren't there to see born has a congenital heart condition that needs constant care. Then, the car needs repair, the house has termites and your wife's dad becomes very ill. You have missed most family holidays/events and she is just downright lonely without you.

I do not suggest this lifestyle/career for anyone just starting out in marriage and family. You need to make your marriage and family strong before stretching yourself that thin.

Best of Life to you. I believe you are making a very wise decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread