MPG in Heavy Haul is likely a lost cause.
I've pulled loads that are literally 1mpg.
I've been impressed with the DD16.
Volvo has the option in their auto shifts for crawler gears, not sure how deep those go. @mndriver may have the numbers there if he has looked into that option.


It's everything if you want to top the hill first. LolDo you see the DD16 as being necessary? I know the torque is higher than what can be obtained withe the DD13 or DD15.
I know heavy haul means something different to different people, but I've heard of many out there running heavy with the DD13.
Just curious how much more beneficial the larger engine is.
LOL.It's everything if you want to top the hill first. Lol
We have a few DD15's that do fine up to 200k.
I'd trust the Mack 14 speed for heavy. The 12 is smooth as hell.MPG in Heavy Haul is likely a lost cause.
I've pulled loads that are literally 1mpg.
Kenworth will still custom build anything you want if you've got the money.
@AK7 has strange ideas about Western Star and I guess they still build some heavier stuff.
You're going to want at least:
46000 pound rear ends.
3/4 Double Framed.
Factory installed air activated pusher axle. Not something someone cobbled on.
You'll need closed shoulder tires to haul heavy. Open shoulder tread pattern will get eaten quickly when you start loading up your tridem.
I liked the 18 speed manual for the deeper reductions for starting. I've never hauled heavy with an autoshift though I suppose it could be done.
Buying used is a serious gamble and you will have things break. Be prepared for that.
This is for actual heavy haul. Not 10 wide on a flatbed. While that is "oversize" it is not "heavy haul" per se.
Be interesting to see what you learn.LOL.
I had to go take a look at the specs again since the DD15 has the GEN5 out for the 2021 model engines. 1850 torque. Never paid attention to the DD16, but appears nothing changed on that front, still 2050 torque.
That would be a tough decision for me if spec'ing a new truck. The Tim Allen in me would want the DD16, LOL
Mack makes some pretty big stuff too. The Granite is a heavier duty for like dump trucks and stuff.I'd trust the Mack 14 speed for heavy. The 12 is smooth as hell.
Which is no longer available?Be interesting to see what you learn.
Guy was telling me this morning his company has been buying HD coronados and they are no longer available as of this next model year.
So it will be interesting to see what is replacing it.
It’s a 4” thick gear pack inserted into the front of the 12-speed to add the two low gears.I'd trust the Mack 14 speed for heavy. The 12 is smooth as hell.
The Coronado 122 SD.Which is no longer available?
The Coronado 122 SD.
Volvo/Mack killed the D16. So I can see the DD16 being replaced.Oh, I was thinking you were referring to the engines.
The Coronado 122 SD.
J Supor gets into some crazy shit.Mack makes some pretty big stuff too. The Granite is a heavier duty for like dump trucks and stuff.
The Atlas is just insane.
I have a picture of a KW Brute somewhere from when J Supor & Sons showed up on the wind farm in PA to haul some transformers up the mountain.
That's the same company that pulled the airplane that Tom Hanks landed in the water. I was told anyway...
Hang on let me see if I can find the picture...
Just stay here and wait. Don't go anywhere...

Damn. And it's already too short.It’s a 4” thick gear pack inserted into the front of the 12-speed to add the two low gears.
To convert my 12-speed would be a $6000 pack and shortening my drive shaft.