Best semi for Heavy Haul?


kieran89

New Member
New to the industry and trying to figure out the top semi trucks for Heavy haul. Taking into consideration MPG, Maintanence and Cost....What are your top picks??
 

MPG in Heavy Haul is likely a lost cause.

I've pulled loads that are literally 1mpg.

Kenworth will still custom build anything you want if you've got the money.

@AK7 has strange ideas about Western Star and I guess they still build some heavier stuff.

You're going to want at least:

46000 pound rear ends.

3/4 Double Framed.

Factory installed air activated pusher axle. Not something someone cobbled on.

You'll need closed shoulder tires to haul heavy. Open shoulder tread pattern will get eaten quickly when you start loading up your tridem.

I liked the 18 speed manual for the deeper reductions for starting. I've never hauled heavy with an autoshift though I suppose it could be done.

Buying used is a serious gamble and you will have things break. Be prepared for that.

This is for actual heavy haul. Not 10 wide on a flatbed. While that is "oversize" it is not "heavy haul" per se.
 
MPG in Heavy Haul is likely a lost cause.

I've pulled loads that are literally 1mpg.

There is actually some importance here. MPG numbers are going to be far lower than what we elite door swingers experience, but the benefits of focusing on MPG can be much more rewarding at the lower end of the spectrum.

Only thing I can offer in that front is to gear the truck properly. final drive gear needs to be set up to where you are going to run the truck on the flats. If MPG is truly important, choose your speed wisely, and be honest with yourself before selecting the gearing.

@Sinister mentioned the 18 speed. If you are going truly heavy, the gears on the low end are very important.

Volvo has the option in their auto shifts for crawler gears, not sure how deep those go. @mndriver may have the numbers there if he has looked into that option.

How heavy do you plan on running? Max and typical hauls...
 
I've been impressed with the DD16.

Do you see the DD16 as being necessary? I know the torque is higher than what can be obtained withe the DD13 or DD15.

I know heavy haul means something different to different people, but I've heard of many out there running heavy with the DD13.

Just curious how much more beneficial the larger engine is.
 
Volvo has the option in their auto shifts for crawler gears, not sure how deep those go. @mndriver may have the numbers there if he has looked into that option.


The crawler section makes the Ishift basically an 18 speed.

I don’t consider what I do “heavy haul”. Not with a 6-axle RGN.

Most I’ll do is 108-110k gross.

Having said that, even the truck I have is on a short life doing what I’ve done this month.

I’m already shopping for a 46k tandem truck.

For the most part this month I’ve been averaging 5 mpg running 94k-106k loads. And that’s running coast to coast and across mountains in both the Appalachian hills and in the southwest going into California on 10 and back to Iowa on 10 and I25 in New Mexico.

Loads will dictate what you get as well


This load averaged 5.5 mpg from Los Angeles to Quincy IL. I10 to I25 to I-70 for the most part. I was 106k gross
FF891011-D186-425E-BEC5-084EA6B299EE.jpeg


This load averaged 5 mpg from Chicago to Baltimore. I70 to I68 across West Virginia and Maryland to I70. I was 95k gross.
02DC0CE0-ABA1-4F65-8B20-11BB8655E007.jpeg


Truck is a 2016 Volvo with a D13 and a 12 speed Ishift. Tuned to 500 hp and 1900 torque. I put 2.64 gears into it and it pulls fine over all even at these weights.

It’s Achilles heal will be the 40k drives. Not for reasons most will think.

You can permit up to 46k on tandems. As some steers, if you are rated for it, you can haul it. I run a 13200 rated steer axle and for the most part, I’m always about 12800 regardless if I’m 20,000 or 43,000 on my drives.

If your drives are rated for 40k, that will be your limiting factor then.

Think of it kind of as having a spread axle trailer. Just makes loading the truck easier for weight placement.
 
Last edited:
Do you see the DD16 as being necessary? I know the torque is higher than what can be obtained withe the DD13 or DD15.

I know heavy haul means something different to different people, but I've heard of many out there running heavy with the DD13.

Just curious how much more beneficial the larger engine is.
It's everything if you want to top the hill first. Lol

We have a few DD15's that do fine up to 200k.
 
It's everything if you want to top the hill first. Lol

We have a few DD15's that do fine up to 200k.
LOL.

I had to go take a look at the specs again since the DD15 has the GEN5 out for the 2021 model engines. 1850 torque. Never paid attention to the DD16, but appears nothing changed on that front, still 2050 torque.

That would be a tough decision for me if spec'ing a new truck. The Tim Allen in me would want the DD16, LOL
 
MPG in Heavy Haul is likely a lost cause.

I've pulled loads that are literally 1mpg.

Kenworth will still custom build anything you want if you've got the money.

@AK7 has strange ideas about Western Star and I guess they still build some heavier stuff.

You're going to want at least:

46000 pound rear ends.

3/4 Double Framed.

Factory installed air activated pusher axle. Not something someone cobbled on.

You'll need closed shoulder tires to haul heavy. Open shoulder tread pattern will get eaten quickly when you start loading up your tridem.

I liked the 18 speed manual for the deeper reductions for starting. I've never hauled heavy with an autoshift though I suppose it could be done.

Buying used is a serious gamble and you will have things break. Be prepared for that.

This is for actual heavy haul. Not 10 wide on a flatbed. While that is "oversize" it is not "heavy haul" per se.
I'd trust the Mack 14 speed for heavy. The 12 is smooth as hell.
 
LOL.

I had to go take a look at the specs again since the DD15 has the GEN5 out for the 2021 model engines. 1850 torque. Never paid attention to the DD16, but appears nothing changed on that front, still 2050 torque.

That would be a tough decision for me if spec'ing a new truck. The Tim Allen in me would want the DD16, LOL
Be interesting to see what you learn.

Guy was telling me this morning his company has been buying HD coronados and they are no longer available as of this next model year.

So it will be interesting to see what is replacing it.
 
I'd trust the Mack 14 speed for heavy. The 12 is smooth as hell.
Mack makes some pretty big stuff too. The Granite is a heavier duty for like dump trucks and stuff.

The Atlas is just insane.

I have a picture of a KW Brute somewhere from when J Supor & Sons showed up on the wind farm in PA to haul some transformers up the mountain.

That's the same company that pulled the airplane that Tom Hanks landed in the water. I was told anyway...

Hang on let me see if I can find the picture...

Just stay here and wait. Don't go anywhere...
 
Be interesting to see what you learn.

Guy was telling me this morning his company has been buying HD coronados and they are no longer available as of this next model year.

So it will be interesting to see what is replacing it.
Which is no longer available?
 
Mack makes some pretty big stuff too. The Granite is a heavier duty for like dump trucks and stuff.

The Atlas is just insane.

I have a picture of a KW Brute somewhere from when J Supor & Sons showed up on the wind farm in PA to haul some transformers up the mountain.

That's the same company that pulled the airplane that Tom Hanks landed in the water. I was told anyway...

Hang on let me see if I can find the picture...

Just stay here and wait. Don't go anywhere...
J Supor gets into some crazy shit.

It's the only company I can pass. 😂
 

Back
Top