Motor Carrier A Rated insurance vs. Risk Retention - Getting some quotes tomorrow

Is it good spam or bad spam re: quality of offers?

It's actually good, compared to offers from the past.

I have brought this up before, bringing it up again.

I am insured through OOIDA. The underwriter is Lloyds Of London. This is Risk Retention, not A or A+ rated insurance.

I have never had a claim, so I can not say how good this insurance is. It's affordable and allows me to keep my truck moving. Word on the street is that it can be tough getting them to pay some claims as Risk Retention groups have a reputation for trying their best to get out of a claim. I don't know this to be true, just what I have heard.

I have heard that many brokers won't work with you if you have this insurance. I know there is a small list, but I have never had a problem working with brokers outside of that list, never been rejected by a broker based on my insurance other than one instance (circle 8 logistics). Maybe there are other brokers out there that don't call based on my insurance, I do not know.

I have heard that brokers won't give you certain loads based on this insurance. Again, I have no idea if that is true, only something I have heard through the grapevine, and once again, haven't heard it from anybody who has actually been rejected based on this.

So, with renewal coming up by the middle of September, I have been looking around a little. Even got one quote a while back, but it was higher than I wanted to pay.

What gave me another push on this is I received a call from OOIDA. I had added chemicals to my haul list on my MCS 150. Wasn't sure why it wasn't listed already, but OOIDA set that up when I got my authority. Earlier this year, I also realized that many common items that I haul all the time wasn't listed on my insurance. I was told when I got the insurance, that I was covered for anything basically other than hazmat. I was green at this, so I didn't know any different and believed it. It just happened to be another OOIDA agent that was looking at the list when I was asking a question, and updated it for me.

Back to the chemicals being listed on my MCS 150. I got a call from OOIDA yesterday, and they weren't able to renew my insurance due to this update. I had to have a phone conversation and explain to them that I wasn't hauling hazardous chemicals, non hazardous only. They seemed very uneasy about it, but submitted it to the underwriter and I got my quote today. Still inexpensive, but I'm just a bit more nervous about potential claims at this point.

I'm at the point that if it isn't too much more expensive, I think I need to move on to A rated insurance through another provider. Call it a gut feeling.
Hey Mike, i would recommend you move to A rated carrier, they can be a little expensive in the beginning but they save you headaches in a long run. With a rated carriers, you can get load easier from brokers as well so you technically make more $. And after couple years if you keep your driving record clean, you can get lower rate or gain more experiences and shop for other carrier

OOIDA insurance is not the best option. Some brokers really don't work with people who have such insurance program.

Hey Mike, i would recommend you move to A rated carrier, they can be a little expensive in the beginning but they save you headaches in a long run. With a rated carriers, you can get load easier from brokers as well so you technically make more $. And after couple years if you keep your driving record clean, you can get lower rate or gain more experiences and shop for other carrier

Market and nuclear verdicts are driving rates more than individual records.

Constantly paying for chameleon carriers and rock bottom carrier, massive pile ups are doing nothing to benefit any of us.

I'm inclined to agree with the previous poster. Rate carriers don't really help to drive rates and are pretty expensive in the short-run. I don't know what the situation in the long run but I suppose that not the best one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread