Yup. Still here.


I don't know if that would be an option in the U.S. Here metric is for legal trade, but we also use imperial because dealing with the U.S. it done in Imperial and converted to metric.
Converting KG to LBS in my head I just basically double it, but the actual calculation is 2.2 one Kilo is 2.2 Lbs. Drug dealers are a lot better at these conversions :biglaugh:
One time I picked up a load of big plastic totes full of lisine (sp?) which I was told is cow food.

I was at a Pioneer seed place in Iowa.

The American Midwest, farming industry..

I had to scale in & out.

The truck scale was metric. I had to do the conversion to figure out my axle weights.

I don't remember the exact destination but it was another Pioneer Seed location somewhere in the US.
 
Just multiply by 2.2 to get the Imperial measurement.

I learned that measuring temperature was easy too. If it is below 0C, it's just f'ing cold and it won't matter anyway.
Too bad it doesn't work that way for converting kilometers to miles.

But these days we've all got a smartphone and even if we don't have a calculator app with conversion functions, we can use just about any search engine.
 
Jet fueling is done in gallons, liters or pounds. Got to convert that like when you would be overweight with full tanks of fuel, so you run half tanks to stay legal and have to calculate the weight of the fuel. Jet A weighs x-amount, like diesel weighs X-amount.
When I was fueling and a pilot would ask for fuel in pounds, I would get them to do the conversion. That was above my pay grade. Not putting that on me.

Like the one time they had an Air Transat flight run out of fuel because the fueler, fueled in pounds instead of kilos.
 
Last edited:
Jet fueling is done in gallons, liters or pounds. Got to convert that like when you would be overweight with full tanks of fuel, so you run half tanks to stay legal and have to calculate the weight of the fuel. Jet A weighs x-amount, like diesel weighs X-amount.
When I was fueling and a pilot would ask for fuel in pounds, I would get them to do the conversion. That was above my pay grade. Not putting that on me.

Like the one time they had an Air Transat flight run out of fuel because the fueler, fueled in pounds instead of kilos.
I'm sure as an aviation enthusiast and a Canadian, you're familiar with the story of the Gimli Glider. I'd be surprised if you weren't actually.

I like the story because it has a happy ending due to some badass piloting skills, and luck.

Awesome pilot. But somebody screwed up the Metric/Imperial conversions.

 
I'm sure as an aviation enthusiast and a Canadian, you're familiar with the story of the Gimli Glider. I'd be surprised if you weren't actually.

I like the story because it has a happy ending due to some badass piloting skills, and luck.

Awesome pilot. But somebody screwed up the Metric/Imperial conversions.

Yup I am familiar with that one. Like you said skills and a lot of luck being as there were people on the former landing strip at the time.
 
So the hinged boards on the shop wall I couldn't figure out before. The guy who lived here before is dead now (that's another long story) but we are in regular contact with his father who sold us the house because......very small world.

He told me buddy had some half cocked scheme to use them to run straps off the ceiling to hang his river boat. The way be explained it to it made no sense with the way they were made to hinge.

I took a notion to take them down today and whatever that guy was doing I can tell you this. He was NOT messing around. These were holding them on the wall. IMG_20250427_152738082.webp
 
It looks like he used whatever fasteners he had on hand. It appears to be 3 differing lags, looking at the thread pitch and the one smaller head.
 
So the hinged boards on the shop wall I couldn't figure out before. The guy who lived here before is dead now (that's another long story) but we are in regular contact with his father who sold us the house because......very small world.

He told me buddy had some half cocked scheme to use them to run straps off the ceiling to hang his river boat. The way be explained it to it made no sense with the way they were made to hinge.

I took a notion to take them down today and whatever that guy was doing I can tell you this. He was NOT messing around. These were holding them on the wall. View attachment 90994
One time when I was a teenager I put up a shelf in the garage.

I used steel shelf brackets, store bought, said 250 lbs per bracket. I used two.

I used 3" #10 screws into the 2x6 studs.

Then I decided to test it. I grabbed the edge of the shelf and did a pull-up and it came crashing down onto the floor.

I weighed about 180 lbs at the time.

The 3" screws pulled out of the wood.

When I put it back up, I used 3" lag bolts, 3/8" diameter.
 
One time when I was a teenager I put up a shelf in the garage.

I used steel shelf brackets, store bought, said 250 lbs per bracket. I used two.

I used 3" #10 screws into the 2x6 studs.

Then I decided to test it. I grabbed the edge of the shelf and did a pull-up and it came crashing down onto the floor.

I weighed about 180 lbs at the time.

The 3" screws pulled out of the wood.

When I put it back up, I used 3" lag bolts, 3/8" diameter.
At least it wasn't bracket failure 😂
 
Is that why Trump wants to annex Greenland? He wants Iceberg Lettuce? Jackwagon!
I'm at the point now where I wish he actually would get us out of NATO and let Putin bully all of Europe.

I see nothing but leftist mentality & anti-American sentiment from Europeans.

And the most ridiculous idiocy of it all is the fact they act like they're superior to us because they have all these socialist programs that they wouldn't be able to afford if the US wasn't providing them with free military defense.

Our military is the biggest expense for us.

Trump should pull out every American personnel and piece of equipment from Europe and see what Putin does.

Fuck Europe.

Greenland is pretty much already free for the taking. What's Denmark gonna do, besides whine about it?

If we don't take it, China or Russia will.
 
I'm at the point now where I wish he actually would get us out of NATO and let Putin bully all of Europe.

I see nothing but leftist mentality & anti-American sentiment from Europeans.

And the most ridiculous idiocy of it all is the fact they act like they're superior to us because they have all these socialist programs that they wouldn't be able to afford if the US wasn't providing them with free military defense.

Our military is the biggest expense for us.

Trump should pull out every American personnel and piece of equipment from Europe and see what Putin does.

Fuck Europe.

Greenland is pretty much already free for the taking. What's Denmark gonna do, besides whine about it?

If we don't take it, China or Russia will.
The problem is the entire reason they're even there in the first place is to prevent another Hitler.
 

Back
Top