Winter's coming! OH NO!

saw some snow on donner pass and over in wyoming last week,it's coming

I'm gonna be up @#$% Creek this winter if I don't get the voltage regulator figured out on my old tractor I use for clearng snow. The only way to start it is to put it on the 6 volt, 180 amp booster for about 20 minutes. The battery is junk because the generator/alternator overcharges it. I just used it the other day, and right now it's on the booster because I'm fixin' ta take it down the road to my neighbor's to drag some dirt out of his barn so he can spread gravel. If the thing dies on me while I'm too far from an outlet to use the 6 volt booster, the only way to re-start it would be to pull it with something and dump the clutch, provided the tires get enough traction in the snow to start the engine.

I'm gonna be up @#$% Creek this winter if I don't get the voltage regulator figured out on my old tractor I use for clearng snow. The only way to start it is to put it on the 6 volt, 180 amp booster for about 20 minutes. The battery is junk because the generator/alternator overcharges it. I just used it the other day, and right now it's on the booster because I'm fixin' ta take it down the road to my neighbor's to drag some dirt out of his barn so he can spread gravel. If the thing dies on me while I'm too far from an outlet to use the 6 volt booster, the only way to re-start it would be to pull it with something and dump the clutch, provided the tires get enough traction in the snow to start the engine.

John Deere is having a sale right now, for about $40,000 and the soul of a firstborn, you can get a nice little four wheel drive with bucket and backhoe attachments. Oh, and lets not forget the free hat.

I found this screw on the back side of the thing's alternator/generator thingy. The screw has arrows next to it with the words "high" and "low" so you can adjust the output of the alternator/generator thingy. I think it's a generator, not an alternator. I think instead of having a voltage regulator you just hook up a meter across the battery posts and keep messing with the screw til you're getting one volt more than with the engine off. I should go get a new battery for it now. I turned it down a little bit so it wouldn't blow up the battery while I was grading the dirt in my neighbor's barn.

But right now I gotta get up to my girlfriend's apartment and get the rest of her stuff. I went to the U-haul place in town but they wanted $3.75 each for 24"x24"x24" boxes. So I went and raided the recycling bin behind Dollar General. I think I'll have to weigh them down with a cinder block before I get out in the open areas cuz it's windy as hell out here. When I was done with the tractor I used it as a paperweight to keep the sliding corn crib doors vertical. They were swinging outward like mud flaps cuz there's no doors on the other side.

That's how we know the seasons are changing around here. When you can fly a kite made out of cast iron, it means winter is coming.

you could try some of the tractor forums for an answer to your problems.

I found this screw on the back side of the thing's alternator/generator thingy. The screw has arrows next to it with the words "high" and "low" so you can adjust the output of the alternator/generator thingy. I think it's a generator, not an alternator. I think instead of having a voltage regulator you just hook up a meter across the battery posts and keep messing with the screw til you're getting one volt more than with the engine off. I should go get a new battery for it now. I turned it down a little bit so it wouldn't blow up the battery while I was grading the dirt in my neighbor's barn.

But right now I gotta get up to my girlfriend's apartment and get the rest of her stuff. I went to the U-haul place in town but they wanted $3.75 each for 24"x24"x24" boxes. So I went and raided the recycling bin behind Dollar General. I think I'll have to weigh them down with a cinder block before I get out in the open areas cuz it's windy as hell out here. When I was done with the tractor I used it as a paperweight to keep the sliding corn crib doors vertical. They were swinging outward like mud flaps cuz there's no doors on the other side.

That's how we know the seasons are changing around here. When you can fly a kite made out of cast iron, it means winter is coming.

Nah I'm just gonna get a new 6 volt tractor battery for it, charge it and have it running with a voltmeter and turn that screw til it's showing around 7 volts or something. I'll see if the voltage increases as the RPMs increase. If they do, then I'll know there's no automatic voltage regulator. I should convert that tractor to a 12 volt system but that's all on my "to do list" of things to get done before the next century.

That isn't a ground connection you are talking about is it, on our little tractors on the farm, the alternator has three connectors for four wires, dad always has the one on the back wired to the engine/frame as a ground.

I sent you a PM about the generator.

Does your N have weights on the rear tires? They can be found at the place I mention in the PM.

My 8N had weights on the rear wheels when I got it. They work very well, and when I get into a situation where more traction is needed, that thing will dig holes to China with the drive tires.

Good times.

I hate snow. It's cold. It's wet. It's yucky. I hate winter.

Hate is such a strong word. What did snow ever do to you?

You can have lots of fun in the snow.

Like skiing.

Downhill is great fun, and good exercise.
View attachment 14331View attachment 14332

Cross country is good cardiovascular exercise without all that bothersome downhill stuff, like dodging trees, rocks and snowboarders.
View attachment 14333

And then there is (perish the thought!) snowboarding. If skiing were easy, they would call it snowboarding.
breckenridge-snowboarding-1.jpg

Snow skiing is great fun, and you can't do it with out snow.
View attachment 14331View attachment 14332View attachment 14333

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom