WIFI at the house question

SomethingElse

My router is at one end of the house, on the inside. On the other end of the house, about 60 to 70ft, is my shop. It's covered in tin. I can barely pick up the wifi outside of the shop. Dish Network, my ISP (the only service available out here in the woods) installed their best router.
Problem is, I need wifi inside the shop so I can look up and order parts, internet radio etc etc etc. I'm a technology caveman and don't know much about this stuff.

Does anyone have any idea on how to accomplish this without running a wire from my router all the way out to the shop?

I believe, but I’m not an expert, that there are signal boosters you can get

I’m curious because this is something I’d like to know more about, also

My router is at one end of the house, on the inside. On the other end of the house, about 60 to 70ft, is my shop. It's covered in tin. I can barely pick up the wifi outside of the shop. Dish Network, my ISP (the only service available out here in the woods) installed their best router.
Problem is, I need wifi inside the shop so I can look up and order parts, internet radio etc etc etc. I'm a technology caveman and don't know much about this stuff.

Does anyone have any idea on how to accomplish this without running a wire from my router all the way out to the shop?

Something there should fix your problem. Or possibly just a better router with more range might take care of it.

when i had my old provider. i would never use there routers they sucked most of the time and they didn't offer good range. i bought the netgear nighthawk routers in the 400-500 dollar range. pricey but there awsome routers i had wifi down the street :D . but yea id'e do mndrivers idea buy a router put it in your shop and hardwire it.

how high off the floor is your inside WIFI device. The House has items inside that will affect the signal going through the walls and furniture .

Try putting the Wifi at least shoulder height or better to get the signal strength better to shop. Then if that doesnt work, try hard wire first then go for a repeater.

and what band are you trying to connect to the 2.4 GHZ or the 5 GHZ. the 2.4 GHZ will have a longer range but won't be as fast... the 5 GHZ will go faster but it will have a shorter range...

And we have the opposite problem.
Neighbors across the street have hacked our wifi and ours is on the low power settings.
Bought a new router and hid the network name.
So far they haven't got on this one,but there's 3 of them working feverishly on their laptops cussing and getting pissed cuz they can't get on.
Flipping thieves. They don't even hide the fact they are trying to steal our wifi.
Came out to start the truck at 4am and 2 of them were at the end of the drive trying to get closer to the signal.

Neighbors across the street have hacked our wifi and ours is on the low power settings.
So far they haven't got on this one,but there's 3 of them working feverishly on their laptops cussing and getting pissed cuz they can't get on.
Flipping thieves. They don't even hide the fact they are trying to steal our wifi.
Came out to start the truck at 4am and 2 of them were at the end of the drive trying to get closer to the signal.
There should be a security setting that enables encryption (maybe) and a password. Turn 'em on, and they'll really start cussin'.

:thumbsup:

I have seen some usernames for Wifi around here. I think the best was, Police Survaillence Van 6. Secured. :thumbsup:

There should be a security setting that enables encryption (maybe) and a password. Turn 'em on, and they'll really start cussin'.

:thumbsup:
mines encrypted with a password. i had a couple sitting outside my home seeing full bars with great speeds. so they tried to connect to it and it asked them for my password. then i heard cussin like no tomorrow:D

Oh wait.I just did a WiFi search near here. The coolest has to be...........are ya'll ready for this? .............................
Prettyflyforawifi. :rolllaugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread