Why more women are taking trucking jobs

They sure are doing a ****ty job at it. Very few kids are worth a damn anymore, unless they were raised in the country and taught how to survive off the land. City kids are basically useless as tits on a bull.
I was born and raised in the city. We just have a different skill set, street smarts.
Country boys don't fair well in the city and city boys don't do well in the country.

This is such an inspiring quote "The steering wheel knows no gender". We are indeed in a new era now. For sure back in the day, drivers would stare at a woman driving large trucks but now when people see one it's like "what's new"

Maybe "Women" Today are more "Reliable" than ourselves ...

Could also be a "Lack" of Opportunity wherelse ya gonna make more than $10/$12 bucks an hour anymore this ain't 1985 anymore heck this aint even 1990 yet much of the jobs I took after High School pay about a dollar or 2 more an hour then back then yet the raw co$t of "Living" has increased by Double ...Triple on some things..

In some cases forget "Inflation" just in raw dollars some of those jobs pay Le$$ than they did 25 years ago .

Race 2 the Bottom yet the "Boomingest" Stock Market ever until it "Burns" to the Ground "Again"

This is such an inspiring quote "The steering wheel knows no gender". We are indeed in a new era now. For sure back in the day, drivers would stare at a woman driving large trucks but now when people see one it's like "what's new"

Maybe "Women" Today are more "Reliable" than ourselves ...

Could also be a "Lack" of Opportunity wherelse ya gonna make more than $10/$12 bucks an hour anymore this ain't 1985 anymore heck this aint even 1990 anymore yet much of the jobs I took after High School pay about a dollar or 2 more an hour then back then yet the raw co$t of "Living" has increased by Double ...Triple on some things..

In some cases forget "Inflation" just in raw dollars some of those jobs pay Le$$ than they did 25 years ago .

Race 2 the Bottom yet the "Boomingest" Stock Market ever until it "Burns" to the Ground "Again

When "CREDIT" tightens up again this FALLACY of a Booming economy is gonna CRASH

More women should choose trucking as a career. It pays well in most cases.

I think more PEOPLE should choose trucking. I can’t count the number of people I’ve known that have been through job after job after job, always teetering in the brink of disaster.

My lights have always been on and my house always warm. Have I always had a wonderful time? Nope. I lost 18 pounds at ATS that 53 weeks, but always sent money home, and never fell behind on a payment.

I hear things like “I don’t think I’d like it.”

Oh, okay then. I guess starvation and deflecting responsibility is preferable.

I think more PEOPLE should choose trucking. I can’t count the number of people I’ve known that have been through job after job after job, always teetering in the brink of disaster.

My lights have always been on and my house always warm. Have I always had a wonderful time? Nope. I lost 18 pounds at ATS that 53 weeks, but always sent money home, and never fell behind on a payment.

I hear things like “I don’t think I’d like it.”

Oh, okay then. I guess starvation and deflecting responsibility is preferable.
Gosh @Sinister I'm still through "job" after job after job ...although I've been Rehired atleast half a dozen time so that's on them for taking me back or maybe I wasn't such a failure after all..

Granted I am classified as DNR or Do Not Return at atleast an equal amount of other places so it's a crap-shoot

Gosh @Sinister I'm still through "job" after job after job ...although I've been Rehired atleast half a dozen time so that's on them for taking me back or maybe I wasn't such a failure after all..

Granted I am classified as DNR or Do Not Return at atleast an equal amount of other places so it's a crap-shoot

I’m talking more about people like me who have responsibilities larger than themselves. Mortgages, car payments, kids who like to eat, things like that. If your financial obligations are light, then obviously it’s a different story.

For example, for all those years I thought @Rigjockey was a doofus for having and leaving so many jobs. Turns out he had a plan all along.

Different strokes for different folks.

I’m talking more about people like me who have responsibilities larger than themselves. Mortgages, car payments, kids who like to eat, things like that. If your financial obligations are light, then obviously it’s a different story.

For example, for all those years I thought @Rigjockey was a doofus for having and leaving so many jobs. Turns out he had a plan all along.

In the next year or so I'd like to get a new Dodge Ram...

Gotta a better deal on a Silverado but looking back I wish I would've spent the few extra grand then and got what I really wanted instead of being cheap..

On the otherhand if this becomes "Long-Term" why make payments on something that's just Sitting anyhow....

I don't know frankly I'm just biding my time until I can collect my Social Security and Medicare then I can just get some stupid part time gig mopping floors or do seasonal stuff like help out at the Grain Elevator during harvest and be "set" and have the savings to see me though

It is because my financial responsibilities are light, I don't have to tolerate as much B.S. as far as my job goes than most others. I try to keep my debt level low. As a matter of fact I don't owe any money to anyone! No loans.
Sure, I have had many jobs, Some of that is due to making poor choices and some of it was management losing all their customers.

I have been at this job for 3 1/2 years now. It just took some time to find the kind of B.S. I want to deal with.

I have been at my job longer than you have been at Walmart! So that is kind of funny.

Last edited:
Amen to that

It is because my financial responsibilities are light, I don't have to tolerate as much B.S. as far as my job goes than most others. I try to keep my debt level low.
Sure, I have had many jobs, Some of that is due to making poor choices and some of it was management losing all their customers.

I have been at this job for 3 1/2 years now. It just took some time to find the kind of B.S. I want to deal with.

I have been at my job longer than you have been at Walmart! So that is kind of funny.
Same here .

When I got "divorced" the 1st thing I noticed is WOW still got some cash in the bank after paying the bills..

Was only a couple hundred dollars at that time..

But better than my $50 dollar aweek "Allowance" she had me on while running up our Charge Cards and wanting more stuff

I'm simple ya my house is kinda a dump but currently up to "Code" or atleast ain't any notices from the inspector lately and "PAID" but the Property Taxes go up every single year

Got afew hundred on Credit Card but I cut em a check and harvest "Double Rewards" points with Citibank

Jeep "Paid" got TITLE but still owe about a year on my Pickup

Lately I'm back to ATM and just paying cash for stuff then I always know what I got..

Secondly when ya gotta part with cold hard currency cash makes ya think twice about stupid stuff as opposed to just swiping a card

I've met a few women out here that are just plain badasses. Some of the most knowledgeable drivers you'll meet, and would easily wipe the floor with some of the so-called vets. Years driving and being "old school" don't necessarily mean you're good. Just means you did the job longer. I've seen a ton of mouth breathers out there that think they are hot sh*t and I guarantee that any of the ladies I know and respect will wipe the floor with them.

I've met a few women out here that are just plain badasses. Some of the most knowledgeable drivers you'll meet, and would easily wipe the floor with some of the so-called vets. Years driving and being "old school" don't necessarily mean you're good. Just means you did the job longer. I've seen a ton of mouth breathers out there that think they are hot sh*t and I guarantee that any of the ladies I know and respect will wipe the floor with them.
I heard that!
The woman that gave me one of my road tests was a certified driver trainer. That takes a lot of time and money.
She was tough too. She would have you pull a quad axle trailer grossing around 120,000 Lbs of rolls of paper and have you kinda blindside angle park a trailer.
The road test course was tough too.
She knew more about trucking than I ever want to know.

I heard that!
The woman that gave me one of my road tests was a certified driver trainer. That takes a lot of time and money.
She was tough too. She would have you pull a quad axle trailer grossing around 120,000 Lbs of rolls of paper and have you kinda blindside angle park a trailer.
The road test course was tough too.
She knew more about trucking than I ever want to know.
First woman trucker I ever met worked at the company where I started. Met her by complete accident at a shipper. I was a greenhorn and she helped me get into a really tight dock. After that I ran into her in a couple other places and I've watched her simply embarrass "veteran" drivers who felt that women don't belong in a truck. Four years and two companies later I still have her on speed dial. She's sweet, she's kind, she's amazing. But god help you if you cross her. That woman that doesn't belong in a truck will f*ck your world up, guaranteed.

Last edited:
I've had multiple conversations with @SueAnn and I guarantee you she falls in that category. I have a ton of respect for her process. She told me what she does every time before she turns the key. It's both smart and impressive. And makes me feel like a slacker. I'd love to witness a conversation between her and my trainer. I'd want a case of beer, a big bag of popcorn, and a lawn chair. That would be the best entertainment I've had in years 🤣

When I was OTR I teamed and had a few women co-drivers. I had to pick up the slack for every single one and had to bail them out more than a few times.

I do not use my experiences to judge women in the trucking industry or workforce at large. To put myself on record I hold ZERO discriminatory beliefs for people based on gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.......

None....

At all....

...Like it's not even a thing with me.

Not only is she a woman taking a trucking job, she's hanging in there in the tough times.

My freind Lolly had to hang iron on 321, I hill that gets everybody sooner or later.
Just Hung Iron.jpg

The cost to her was big.

PostChain-upNails.jpg

And it affected her wardrobe.

Lollys Chain-up Jeans.jpg

She claims that after that 1-hour hanging iron ordeal (if memory serves me correctly). she got to Fairbanks. She said that she realized that she was new and opted for the surer deal, polishing up her (truck's) jewelry. Somebody didn't respect that miserable hill and had to split his set. The trailer is partially blocking the highway. Evidently he burned out and couldn't get moving (probably a heavy tail trailer -- they tend to cause trouble).

Props to Lolly, a lady trucker who is hanging in there and trying to be a tad glamorous.

Not only is she a woman taking a trucking job, she's hanging in there in the tough times.

My freind Lolly had to hang iron on 321, I hill that gets everybody sooner or later.
View attachment 61039

The cost to her was big.

View attachment 61040

And it affected her wardrobe.

View attachment 61041

She claims that after that 1-hour hanging iron ordeal (if memory serves me correctly). she got to Fairbanks. She said that she realized that she was new and opted for the surer deal, polishing up her (truck's) jewelry. Somebody didn't respect that miserable hill and had to split his set. The trailer is partially blocking the highway. Evidently he burned out and couldn't get moving (probably a heavy tail trailer -- they tend to cause trouble).

Props to Lolly, a lady trucker who is hanging in there and trying to be a tad glamorous.

Posted some demographics to the mods today. Our traffic has moved from 14% 2-3 years ago to 16% for women. Age has also started to lower as well.

Times are changing, it seems.

Posted some demographics to the mods today. Our traffic has moved from 14% 2-3 years ago to 16% for women. Age has also started to lower as well.

Times are changing, it seems.
Thanks for the update. I only induced one gal to drive. She had a class A. She hurt her right shoulder throwing straps. When she was a fisherman (women in Alaska fishing boats find "fisherwoman" inconvenient or divisive so they're fishermen also) on a seiner or tender (fish transport boat) she threw lines all the time. But on a vessel or a skiff, one generally throws sidearm. As a trucker, some of the guys couldn't keep up with her when they were loading drill casing and pipe and she wasn't shy about jerking the slack out of them if she thought that they were slacking. But she just didn't want to drive on the snow and ice for months. Too bad. Sourdough lost a good hand after she rehabbed her shoulder. Seems to me a lot of gals could and should get some stick time and get behind the wheel. If pay improves maybe that will occur.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread