When going to truck driver school, should I learn to drive a 10 speed truck?

Hello. I’m Nick. I’m new to this group.

As I consider a Truck Driver career, I was thinking about going to a truck driver school to get one-on-one training.

Yet I did want to find out from you much more experienced drivers, what are the best types of trucks to have experience in driving?

I read about one school that teaches (as part of the curriculum), how to drive a 10 speed truck. They said in many cases there is not much of a need to know how to drive a 10 speed truck, but if a person knows how to drive a 10 speed truck, then a person should be able to drive any truck out there without any problems . . . thus making it probably easier to get jobs, due to having the skills and knowledge to drive all types of trucks. So if learning how to drive a 10 speed truck might be of big value (sooner or later), I want to learn in the beginning. Yet it would be great to learn all of the basic trucks I should learn how to drive as a new Truck Driver.

What are your thoughts?

As I consider a Truck Driver career, I was thinking about going to a truck driver school to get one-on-one training.

Yet I did want to find out from you much more experienced drivers, what are the best types of trucks to have experience in driving?

I read about one school that teaches (as part of the curriculum), how to drive a 10 speed truck. They said in many cases there is not much of a need to know how to drive a 10 speed truck, but if a person knows how to drive a 10 speed truck, then a person should be able to drive any truck out there without any problems . . . thus making it probably easier to get jobs, due to having the skills and knowledge to drive all types of trucks. So if learning how to drive a 10 speed truck might be of big value (sooner or later), I want to learn in the beginning. Yet it would be great to learn all of the basic trucks I should learn how to drive as a new Truck Driver.

What are your thoughts?
Welcome.

Yes you should learn how to drive a truck with a manual transmission.

Autos seem to be the wave of the future but it's always good to cover all bases.

Good luck to you

What are your thoughts?
to me, you want a school that teaches you on a stick shift. this in turn will not limit your chances for jobs, if you get your license stamped, "automatics only".

Yup, 100% on that. Many large fleets are training on autos only, or are just ordering autos. Smaller companies that use older trucks or have an internal bias toward manual transmissions will be out of reach if you are restricted by your license to automatics only.

Why limit yourself to an automatic? A 10-speed isn't a bad choice and may be a good overall choice depending on loads, equipment, terrain, and power. So learn it. The splits are smaller in transmissions with more speeds. Thus an 18-speed can be shifted more quickly than a 10-speed as the splits are around 300 rpm.

What are your thoughts?
Take yer test in a manual if at all possible

If ya test in a automatic truck thats all yer allowed to drive

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your help and advice. Based on the information that you have shared, my learning how to drive a manual shift truck is the way to go. For sure, I don’t want to be limited to driving only automatic trucks, as I “now know” that I am subject to miss out on jobs when only manual trucks are available.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it very much. :)

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your help and advice. Based on the information that you have shared, my learning how to drive a manual shift truck is the way to go. For sure, I don’t want to be limited to driving only automatic trucks, as I “now know” that I am subject to miss out on jobs when only manual trucks are available.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it very much. :)
You made a good choice.
If you had passed up the opportunity to drive a manual truck, you might find 20 yrs down the road, you're a broken down old man, sitting in a rocking chair wearing sweatpants and a wife beater, eating cold ravioli out of a can, muttering to yourself "what the hell happened to my life?"

You made a good choice.
If you had passed up the opportunity to drive a manual truck, you might find 20 yrs down the road, you're a broken down old man, sitting in a rocking chair wearing sweatpants and a wife beater, eating cold ravioli out of a can, muttering to yourself "what the hell happened to my life?"
20 hell i do that now after 6. I look up at the sky and yell WHAT DID I DO SO WRONG. then continue eating my cold ravioli in my ravioli stained white wife beater,sweat pants and flip flops

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread