When going to truck driver school, should I learn to drive a 10 speed truck?

Hunter

learn on whatever you can to get to pass the test to get your CDL !
Beyond that its a crap shoot as to what you drive !
If someone told me to drive a 10 Spd.....I'd be be FN pissed off !
Give me the 18 !

Though my world is different than most of who your talking to here, I do NOT do OTR !

Though I will also say Auto's have made leaps an bounds over the years that are better or at least equal to manuals....for certain conditions !

THBatMan8

learn on whatever you can to get to pass the test to get your CDL !
Beyond that its a crap shoot as to what you drive !
If someone told me to drive a 10 Spd.....I'd be be FN pissed off !
Give me the 18 !

Though my world is different than most of who your talking to here, I do NOT do OTR !

Though I will also say Auto's have made leaps an bounds over the years that are better or at least equal to manuals....for certain conditions !
Most states will put an “Automatics only” restriction on your CDL if you test with an automatic.
Like I noted before, most outfits still use manuals, so if you test with an automatic then it’s really going to bite you in the ass later down the road.

BlackBart

Shorebilly
Supporter
Most states will put an “Automatics only” restriction on your CDL if you test with an automatic.
Like I noted before, most outfits still use manuals, so if you test with an automatic then it’s really going to bite you in the ass later down the road.
Thats federal, so youll git that in every state. Its called the E restriction

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Yup, 100% on that. Many large fleets are training on autos only, or are just ordering autos. Smaller companies that use older trucks or have an internal bias toward manual transmissions will be out of reach if you are restricted by your license to automatics only.
I'm with a "Small" Carrier and they gave me AUTO-Shift...

Infact all the 2015 - on are "Auto"...

As the Older KW 680s and ProStars die off we shall be a Shaker "Casadia" Fleet all-around..