When going to truck driver school, should I learn to drive a 10 speed truck?

Hello. I’m Nick. I’m new to this group.

As I consider a Truck Driver career, I was thinking about going to a truck driver school to get one-on-one training.

Yet I did want to find out from you much more experienced drivers, what are the best types of trucks to have experience in driving?

I read about one school that teaches (as part of the curriculum), how to drive a 10 speed truck. They said in many cases there is not much of a need to know how to drive a 10 speed truck, but if a person knows how to drive a 10 speed truck, then a person should be able to drive any truck out there without any problems . . . thus making it probably easier to get jobs, due to having the skills and knowledge to drive all types of trucks. So if learning how to drive a 10 speed truck might be of big value (sooner or later), I want to learn in the beginning. Yet it would be great to learn all of the basic trucks I should learn how to drive as a new Truck Driver.

What are your thoughts?

learn on whatever you can to get to pass the test to get your CDL !
Beyond that its a crap shoot as to what you drive !
If someone told me to drive a 10 Spd.....I'd be be FN pissed off !
Give me the 18 !

Though my world is different than most of who your talking to here, I do NOT do OTR !

Though I will also say Auto's have made leaps an bounds over the years that are better or at least equal to manuals....for certain conditions !

learn on whatever you can to get to pass the test to get your CDL !
Beyond that its a crap shoot as to what you drive !
If someone told me to drive a 10 Spd.....I'd be be FN pissed off !
Give me the 18 !

Though my world is different than most of who your talking to here, I do NOT do OTR !

Though I will also say Auto's have made leaps an bounds over the years that are better or at least equal to manuals....for certain conditions !
Most states will put an “Automatics only” restriction on your CDL if you test with an automatic.
Like I noted before, most outfits still use manuals, so if you test with an automatic then it’s really going to bite you in the ass later down the road.

Most states will put an “Automatics only” restriction on your CDL if you test with an automatic.
Like I noted before, most outfits still use manuals, so if you test with an automatic then it’s really going to bite you in the ass later down the road.
Thats federal, so youll git that in every state. Its called the E restriction

Yup, 100% on that. Many large fleets are training on autos only, or are just ordering autos. Smaller companies that use older trucks or have an internal bias toward manual transmissions will be out of reach if you are restricted by your license to automatics only.
I'm with a "Small" Carrier and they gave me AUTO-Shift...

Infact all the 2015 - on are "Auto"...

As the Older KW 680s and ProStars die off we shall be a Shaker "Casadia" Fleet all-around..

ok YES learn on a STICK (manual) & test out on a stick, get that license not limited.

learn on what you got, come the real world you will be given every type ! 10,13,15,18, and the bonus of the stripped gears or sloppy shifting that its a guessing game what gear you're in, let alone are you out of gear/neutral when stopped.

If you're able to hop in/out of different trucks with different gears everyday & not knowing if if any gears are stripped any quirks about that truck, you WILL become a great driver !

Welcome to there real world of trucking !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread