GPS What is the best GPS system?

I went a bought a GPS unit today, don't really need one(though I might be going back over the road) and of course I did not do any research on it, can anybody tell me if the Magellan RoadMate 1700 is any good?

I went a bought a GPS unit today, don't really need one(though I might be going back over the road) and of course I did not do any research on it, can anybody tell me if the Magellan RoadMate 1700 is any good?

I have a Magellan (1200 I think it is). It's not a trucker's GPS, but I did use it when I drove a truck. Just had to be careful and not turn onto roads that were obviously too small, and/or had a posted sign for no trucks. I had no problems back then. Anyway, I have used it for a couple of years now (counting both semi driving and four wheelers), and it has always been right on the money. And to this day, I still have not done any updates on it, so maybe I'll have a problem with roads created within the last couple of years. I am guessing your 1700 will be just as good if not better being a Magellan and with similar or better programing.

Garmin 465T not worth the money

Anybody use the Garmin 465T i think it's called? Been looking at those but I don't wanna drop that kind of coin on it if it sucks like some of the other ones.

I tried the 465T and maybe I had a bad unit but I was very disappointed. I returned it.
Garmin usuaslly makes the best units. I've had excellent luck with the 260 and 255.

I haven't found any other brand that matches most Garmins, the 465T being the exception.

I have a Magellan (1200 I think it is). It's not a trucker's GPS, but I did use it when I drove a truck. Just had to be careful and not turn onto roads that were obviously too small, and/or had a posted sign for no trucks. I had no problems back then. Anyway, I have used it for a couple of years now (counting both semi driving and four wheelers), and it has always been right on the money. And to this day, I still have not done any updates on it, so maybe I'll have a problem with roads created within the last couple of years. I am guessing your 1700 will be just as good if not better being a Magellan and with similar or better programing.

The 1700 has a truckers mode and a 7 inch screen, why I bought it. I am fine in the states but I really need something for Montreal, I still get lost on a regular basis in that city, I am just lucky I have not run into a low underpass yet and I don't want to push my luck.

The 1700 has a truckers mode and a 7 inch screen, why I bought it. I am fine in the states but I really need something for Montreal, I still get lost on a regular basis in that city, I am just lucky I have not run into a low underpass yet and I don't want to push my luck.

A 7 inch screen sounds pretty nice. Anyway, I have read all kinds of different reviews about all GPS units, but I guess the one bad thing about Magellan is you have to pay for the upgrades (even though you bought the unit), whereas others like TomTom can be upgraded everyday if you want for no additional charge. As far as I know (about my 1200 anyway), it's only U.S. roads and highways in the program, and not Canada. Maybe it's different with your 1700 (option to include Canada?). Anyway, good luck with it.

You should be good in mtl,Not too many low bridges that i have seen.It does work in canada but it works a lot better in the U.S.Montreal is crazie to start with so good luck boone.

You should be good in mtl,Not too many low bridges that i have seen.It does work in canada but it works a lot better in the U.S.Montreal is crazie to start with so good luck boone.

I got detoured off the main road a while back onto Notre Dame in the restaurant district, signs every where saying no trucks but no way I could turn , the side roads were so narrow and the cars were about a foot on either side of me, so I just kept going ended up where I was supposed to be, the last Baptiste day PIE IX was closed when they let the free concert out and I got really lost then, I came up on a low bridge but was able to turn before I got to it. We had a driver, same thing only he hit the bridge.

I got detoured off the main road a while back onto Notre Dame in the restaurant district, signs every where saying no trucks but no way I could turn , the side roads were so narrow and the cars were about a foot on either side of me, so I just kept going ended up where I was supposed to be, the last Baptiste day PIE IX was closed when they let the free concert out and I got really lost then, I came up on a low bridge but was able to turn before I got to it. We had a driver, same thing only he hit the bridge.

I hear that boone,It would be a whole lot easier if the signs where in English as well as French.I have been there many times and I am happy to leave.

I use Avio or how ever it is spelled it gets me to the front door every time no problems what so ever. Plus it only cost me $100.00 at radio shack.

I hear that boone,It would be a whole lot easier if the signs where in English as well as French.I have been there many times and I am happy to leave.

So am I, if I can find my way out

I use Avio or how ever it is spelled it gets me to the front door every time no problems what so ever. Plus it only cost me $100.00 at radio shack.

It is my fault, I did not really check into the different GPS units, it was an impulse buy, I only have two maps, a '97 McNally and a new Montreal street guide, I did entertainment loads for a few years and either always went to the same places or followed the lead driver so never needed a new map, but now, I am tired of getting lost in a foreign city every other day

The BEST and most VERSATILE form of G. P. S.:

A up to date Road Atlas with a listing of RESTRICTED ROADS (due to CMV Height/Weight), a Compass, a Brain, some rarely seen Common Sense, Customer Phone Numbers and all these are contingent with ones' ability to READ.

Thank You and your mileage will vary.

After a week with my Magellan RoadMate 1700, I have to say I love it, two trips to Montreal (one actually went to ST. Laurent) and both times it was spot on. It was not designed solely for trucks, does not have anything about height or weight restrictions but it is large easy to read touch screen with a loud clear voice, first bit of technology I ever got, besides a computer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread