Volvo 5th wheel issue

Overthinker

I just got issued a 2015/16 Volvo D13 and am unable to move the 5th wheel.... It is all the way to the rear of the tractor and causing my air hoses and electrical hose to stretch a little too much I am afraid..... Any ideas on how to make the 5th wheel budge? I’m sorry, but I am a new trucker and have only driven Cascadias

Clean the rails, air gun or pressure washer
Spray it down with penetrating fluid
Release the pins
Check pins are released
Hit a loaded trailer really hard
See if it moved

Lather rinse repeat

Although, cool guy truckers run it all the way back. Don’t you want to be a cool guy trucker? :D

MNdriver, thank you for that information..... I will even work on getting a hold of Ranger and picking his brains....... I’m not sure if I like this Volvo or not..... lol

That was my first thought, but then I saw the stop.

And the slide rail.

It’s probably just jammed with gunk.

Helpful tip for sliding fifth wheels...

Hook up to a trailer

Leave the legs on the trailer down

Drop your air bags on the tractor

Release the fifth wheel pins. Re-engage them. Release them.

Put the truck in gear both forward and backward and bump the clutch.

If you don’t have an air dump on your tractor I truly am sorry...

The fifth wheel on @Ranger_375 2016 Volvo 730.

IMG_20190824_232031409.jpg

Comparing it to that, it's a slider.

I'd be checking to verify its getting air to the lock cylinder. And probably tapping on the lock pawls and making sure they move freely.

I’ve seen new Volvo’s being transported with what look like brand new shiny ALUMINUM fifth wheels.

Maybe there’s something I’m not realizing but that seems to me the worst idea since opti-idle.

With any fifth wheel, one of the most important tasks is to get the weight off of it before trying to move it. Many will not budge with the weight of the trailer on it, or once they do, risk the chance of breaking something.

I’ve seen new Volvo’s being transported with what look like brand new shiny ALUMINUM fifth wheels.

Maybe there’s something I’m not realizing but that seems to me the worst idea since opti-idle.
Apparently it's been around since 2011 or so. There's a thread on thetruckersreport from back then asking about it. Made by Holland.

With any fifth wheel, one of the most important tasks is to get the weight off of it before trying to move it. Many will not budge with the weight of the trailer on it, or once they do, risk the chance of breaking something.
I don't have a slider anymore, but graphite paint (I prefer Slip Plate brand) does wonders. I could shorten up with the Jake in 6th, and stretch with the throttle in 8th. It would last several months, and you know how low to the ground my 5th wheel is, always in road spray.

Clean the rails, air gun or pressure washer
Spray it down with penetrating fluid
Release the pins
Check pins are released
Hit a loaded trailer really hard
See if it moved

Lather rinse repeat

Although, cool guy truckers run it all the way back. Don’t you want to be a cool guy trucker? :D
Hey, that makes me the coolest I have to always have mine all the way back or I end up over on my steers.

Some times you gotta whack the lock pawls with a hammer really good whitnthe air applied to get em to pop out, a lot of people don’t move their fifth wheel. They set it and forget it and the pawls rust into place.

Some times you gotta whack the lock pawls with a hammer really good whitnthe air applied to get em to pop out, a lot of people don’t move their fifth wheel. They set it and forget it and the pawls rust into place.
The very first truck I drove I did exactly that. EXCEPT, while I was whacking it and trying to get it to pop, I couldn’t find the second pawl. I crawled under and over that thing, hit the air switch a few times, nope, not there

You mean to tell me I’ve been going up and down the highway grossing 80,000 and only had one locking pawl? :stare1:

Took it to the shop, they took mine all apart, robbed parts from another slider, put BOTH pawls back in, good to go. AND they made sure it slid before I left the shop

Hey zeus Christ!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread