Trucking Jobs with an accident on my record

JB_3

Hey everyone! I am going to be turning 21 this spring, and have decided to become a truck driver. But, I have one question that I can't find the answer to. I had an accident last summer. Will this disqualify me from trucking jobs?

I can't find a clear answer to this question, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

First off, more details would be needed on the accident. Was it the cause of a 50-car pileup? A fender bender? Did you cause a fatality? Was it related to a DUI?There's a few different things that would make you uninsurable.

No, you don't have to share them.

The reality is, this business is controlled highly by insurance providers. And they know a kid under 25 years of age is a risk.

Most likely, a 22 to kid with no experience and little to no record, won't be the most sought after, but won't be rejected either.

A bigger issue, IMO, will the doctor give you a dot physical and pass you?

First off, more details would be needed on the accident. Was it the cause of a 50-car pileup? A fender bender? Did you cause a fatality? Was it related to a DUI?There's a few different things that would make you uninsurable.

No, you don't have to share them.

The reality is, this business is controlled highly by insurance providers. And they know a kid under 25 years of age is a risk.

Most likely, a 22 to kid with no experience and little to no record, won't be the most sought after, but won't be rejected either.

A bigger issue, IMO, will the doctor give you a dot physical and pass you?
I rear-ended an suv. It totaled my truck, but it was falling apart as it was, so it didn't take much to total mine. No substances were involved. I didn't receive a ticket either.

And I'm positive I can pass a physical.

Apply. That's how you find out. Try for some of the big companies and see if you get some prehire letters. They're not job offers. They're just notes saying, "We're interested."

Call their recruiting numbers and tell them what happened. See what they say. Bigger companies are self insured, so can take a few more risks than smaller companies that answer to insurance companies.

Yeah all you can do is apply. Most of the newbie companies have a check box on the application "Current CDL holder" or "CDL trainee/student" or something along those lines. They'll also have a section to describe any moving violations, accidents, etc in a certain time frame.

Tick the right boxes, be honest, don't downplay it but don't make it worse than it was. Straight facts.

Hey everyone! I am going to be turning 21 this spring, and have decided to become a truck driver.
Saw this same question on another forum. That person tried one company they cut off at 23 tried another they cut off at 22 so that person tried C.R. England and got in. GL

And I hear they will take just about anyone.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread