Truck stop etiquette

Abbystruckstop

As a truck stop owner I have come up with a list of questions that maybe someone can answer. First of all, since all of you have to get fuel, why do some truckers insist on blocking the fuel isle while they go in to use the bathroom, take a shower or get something to eat? It makes more sense to get your fuel, move up far enough so other truckers can fuel. It is one thing to come in and pick up your fuel receipt and then move up or park. But it is an entirely different situation if you block the fuel isle while you go in to get your coffee, get something to eat or worse take a shower. Not only is that rude, but it causes an inconvenience to other truckers that just want to get their fuel, get their receipt and keep moving down the road. To exasperate matters some truckers come in and angrily complain to store employees about the situation. Something they have absolutely no control over.
Secondly, can someone explain why when some truckers come in to use the bathroom or shower facilities, a growing number of truckers choose to leave the bathrooms and showers in disarray? I don't understand why when there are plenty of trashcans in the restroom, some of you choose to just throw the paper towels on the floor or just leave them sitting in the sink or countertops. Also, there seems to be a growing number of truckers that seem to get a kick out of stopping up the toilets with excessive toilet paper. Or throwing their used paper on the stall floors. The worse part is when either out of stress, anxiety or whatever reason, some decide it is funny to smear their fecal matter on the walls or toilet seats. When it comes to using the showers, I can find no logical reason why some truckers decide to turn the showers into a water park. I would imagine when you take a shower at home you don't drench the entire floor, splash water all over the mirrors or just basically leave the mess in the shower. The bigger mess you leave. the longer it takes to clean it up and get ready for the next trucker that wants to take a shower. There are several times during the day that there are other truckers having to wait to for showers. A lot of the time it takes longer for them to get their shower is because someone decided to make a huge mess in the shower.
Lastly, I have this to say, you all want to be considered professional drivers, but it's hard to tell when you do not even take into consideration that when you park your truck in the fuel isle while you get something to eat, drink or take a shower you are not being considerate of other truckers. That's not being a professional. When one or more of you decide to leave the bathroom cluttered with leaving paper towels all over the place, leaving the bathroom stall fouled with your fecal matter smeared on the toilet seat or walls or when you decide to stop up a toilet with excessive toilet paper, you are not being considerate to other truckers or being professional. When you make a total mess in the showers, causing it longer to clean up and making other truckers wait for them to be cleaned up, you are not being considerate to other truckers or being professional.

As a truck stop owner I have come up with a list of questions that maybe someone can answer. First of all, since all of you have to get fuel, why do some truckers insist on blocking the fuel isle while they go in to use the bathroom, take a shower or get something to eat? It makes more sense to get your fuel, move up far enough so other truckers can fuel. It is one thing to come in and pick up your fuel receipt and then move up or park. But it is an entirely different situation if you block the fuel isle while you go in to get your coffee, get something to eat or worse take a shower. Not only is that rude, but it causes an inconvenience to other truckers that just want to get their fuel, get their receipt and keep moving down the road. To exasperate matters some truckers come in and angrily complain to store employees about the situation. Something they have absolutely no control over.
Secondly, can someone explain why when some truckers come in to use the bathroom or shower facilities, a growing number of truckers choose to leave the bathrooms and showers in disarray? I don't understand why when there are plenty of trashcans in the restroom, some of you choose to just throw the paper towels on the floor or just leave them sitting in the sink or countertops. Also, there seems to be a growing number of truckers that seem to get a kick out of stopping up the toilets with excessive toilet paper. Or throwing their used paper on the stall floors. The worse part is when either out of stress, anxiety or whatever reason, some decide it is funny to smear their fecal matter on the walls or toilet seats. When it comes to using the showers, I can find no logical reason why some truckers decide to turn the showers into a water park. I would imagine when you take a shower at home you don't drench the entire floor, splash water all over the mirrors or just basically leave the mess in the shower. The bigger mess you leave. the longer it takes to clean it up and get ready for the next trucker that wants to take a shower. There are several times during the day that there are other truckers having to wait to for showers. A lot of the time it takes longer for them to get their shower is because someone decided to make a huge mess in the shower.
Lastly, I have this to say, you all want to be considered professional drivers, but it's hard to tell when you do not even take into consideration that when you park your truck in the fuel isle while you get something to eat, drink or take a shower you are not being considerate of other truckers. That's not being a professional. When one or more of you decide to leave the bathroom cluttered with leaving paper towels all over the place, leaving the bathroom stall fouled with your fecal matter smeared on the toilet seat or walls or when you decide to stop up a toilet with excessive toilet paper, you are not being considerate to other truckers or being professional. When you make a total mess in the showers, causing it longer to clean up and making other truckers wait for them to be cleaned up, you are not being considerate to other truckers or being professional.
Good luck finding the answers. It's a puzzle to many of us.

The worse part is when either out of stress, anxiety or whatever reason, some decide it is funny to smear their fecal matter on the walls or toilet seats.
Yep
Nice rant!

I am surprised I don't see more/any signs at the fuel isles with a friendly reminder to move up after fueling.
Might help like the piped in recorded message we hear inside the truck stops.

Trying to kill two birds with one stone at the fuel isle.
Inconsiderate punk move.

Sorry for ur inconvence.

Last edited:
As a Trucker it would be Really "Nice" if more Truckstops put trashcans around the lot..

I notice places that have trash cans everywhere don't have as much trash blowing around the parking lot ..

Places that don't have trash everywhere..

I myself use shopping bags clipped to the passenger side seatbelt and If there's trash can nearby I'll throw it in there..

Otherwise I tie it up and when I need the store or when I leave Ill pull by the fuel line and throw it in the trash cans there...

My Pee Bottle I dump in the grass so it don't stink up the parking lot but I am just "One" Person so doesn't seem to make much of a difference....

Main reason I started doing that is for the Flatbedders they gotta get out and under to fix their tarps n straps and I'm sure they don't wanna work in a puddle of PEE...

Just pigs bein pigs...

Aint their responsibility to clean up the mess... so they aint gotta care

I tend to think people like this aren’t welcome in their own home because their family (if they have one) can not tolerate them either. Which is why they stay on the road.

Sometimes it’s cultural. Throwing toilet paper on the floor is something done south of the border. The answer is always the same, “because the infrastructure down there doesn’t handle it.”

But it shouldn’t take long to figure out that that’s not what we do here. And yet...

Conversely, some of the people I work with are so clean, meticulous and detail oriented it’s equally maddening. I watched a guy in the break room once adjust a paper towel laying on a table three times before he placed his single slice bologna, single slice cheese sandwich on it. Then he went and got a bottle of water. Then he went and got a paper towel...

Im sure that guys family loves him, but get frustrated for different reasons.

Sometimes it’s cultural. Throwing toilet paper on the floor is something done south of the border. The answer is always the same, “because the infrastructure down there doesn’t handle it.”
Actually I've been told they have trash cans next to the toilets down yonder.

There doesn't seem to be a logical explanation for the inconsiderate and ignorant attitude of some drivers that park in fuel islands for every reason except the courtesy to others.
Maybe the truck stops could do like the 60's-70's when a fuel jockey would fuel and park your truck. Better yet enforce the no parking at the pumps with the threat of a tow and then do it.
There is no reason for drivers to be pigs unless you are from some 3rd world country without an education. Here in the USA and Canada I'm sure that every mother raised her children with respect, dignity and habits that did not reflect the BS that goes on in today's truck stops.

. Here in the USA and Canada I'm sure that every mother raised her children with respect, dignity and habits that did not reflect the BS that goes on in today's truck stops.
Pretty much a pipe dream there. Some parents are totally not there for a kid even in the same room with them.

My ex's family is one example. They all find it totally acceptable to chew their food with mouth open.

I tend to think people like this aren’t welcome in their own home because their family (if they have one) can not tolerate them either. Which is why they stay on the road.

But it shouldn’t take long to figure out that that’s not what we do here. And yet...

Conversely, some of the people I work with are so clean, meticulous and detail oriented it’s equally maddening. I watched a guy in the break room once adjust a paper towel laying on a table three times before he placed his single slice bologna, single slice cheese sandwich on it. Then he went and got a bottle of water. Then he went and got a paper towel...

Im sure that guys family loves him, but get frustrated for different reasons.
Uh @Sinister that throwing TP in a bucket has to do with bad plumbing in the 3rd world..

If you run alot of Texas or anywhere with alot of Mexican Immigrants you'll find a bucket or trash pail next to a toilet...

Even in the North places that employ alot of immigrants will have that..

Now I've asked afew times about it and the answer always was shoddy plumbing in Mexico so they don't flush paper or it clogs

Looks like the **** jug behind your passenger seat is almost full there Birchy.
That's bottled water ....ICE MOUNTAIN

Gallon Jugs are cheaper than bottles so I pour into my mug when I want a drink

Uh oh....that one's my White Lightning stash guess I need to take a full 34 reset

That crap aggravates the **** out of me. Probably as much as the guy who has to pick it up. So disrespectful. This is the **** that gets us kicked the **** out of places.
That's why most Shopping Centers don't want us around anymore...even if we do buy groceries security doesn't care get out

and even "Shippers" and Receivers only afew of our customers let ya take a 10 on their property anymore

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread