• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

The werner Hostile Work Environment

Sean McQuaid

Whiny baby
Hostile Work Environment:

An example of a way a hostile work environment may be defined is (1) when a boss or manager begins to engage in a manner designed to make you quit in retaliation for your actions. Suppose you report safety violations at work, get injured at work, attempt to join a union, complain to upper level management about a problem at work, or act as a whistleblower in any respect. (2) Then, the company's response is to do all manner of things to make you quit, like writing you up for work rules you didn't break, reducing your hours, scheduling you for hours that are in total conflict with what you can do, setting impossible goals, replacing a base pay with commission or reducing your salary. (3) The company's reaction can be viewed as creating a hostile work environment, one that makes it impossible to work and is an attempt to make you quit so that the employer does not have to pay unemployment benefits.

Breaking it down by the numbers with the experiences I had by Werner, the Hostile work environment is as follows:

((1): a boss or manager - in my case, my dispatcher - begins to engage in a manner designed to make you quit in retaliation for your actions): In my case, I was forced to run against the clock with just about every load I was assigned to in spite that just about all loads have a window which exceeds the delivery time I was given. I asked at many of my stops if the load had a window, and they told me YES. The result was I had no time for showering on a long distance load (often showering must be done while enroute as it is often that the 10 hour shutdown occurs in a location where a shower is unavailable - such as a rest area, parking lot - etc.). I was denied personal drive time to get to a shower of shop for food often because I was under a preassigned load. Or I did not put in for personal drive time because after a day on the road, I needed my full rest. 10 hours gave me just enough time to eat, do paperwork and check scheduling, and get my 8 hours sleep to say nothing of factoring in showering and wait time for the shower. In using the term my dispatcher used - "fighting", I began to fight him as he saw no reason when I attempted to get him to ease up on my tight running times. And if I was shut down at a location more than the normal 10 hour, the situation was the same, that being no shower or place to shop for food - etc. where I was, and waiting until I was on the move again to get to a shower, food etc.. Running against the clock as I had to do is contrary to safety; and because I had no time for showering and food breaks, goes contrary to health and hygene. My dispatcher contends it was because of how I logged. I did not log in any way contrary to D.O.T. regulations, but I did log contrary to Werner's attempt to make a driver work (be on duty) more than 70 hours a week. I did not quit. Instead I began to take breaks and showers when I really needed them, resulting in late loads. I might add that I was run far more than veterin drivers with years in the company because it was cheaper to run me (pay scale). I spoke to many veterins driving the same regions I was, who would sit often for days waiting for a load assignment at the same time I was recieving preassigned loads often before I delivered the load I was under. And with the recession, I am sure the company was saving any way they could.

((2): Then, the company's response is to do all manner of things to make you quit, like writing you up for work rules you didn't break, reducing your hours, scheduling you for hours that are in total conflict with what you can do, setting impossible goals....): In my case, Because I did not quit in response to my dispatcher's continued reluctance to loosten my travel time a little, I was set up for the late loads. I will note the fact that in addition to my low pay scale being the reason to run me more than the veterin driver, it also works out that the more miles a dispatcher runs a driver, the more the dispatcher makes. In conjunction to taking care of myself, delivering on time (especially long distance) was the impossible task. I even recieved a load on an occasion which could not be delivered on time even without a break of any kind. There were also occasions during my tight running times I was set up for load swaps with other drivers - something Werner seems to have a habit of doing. But because my times were so tight, and in my attempt to deliver on time without time to stop multiple times, I did not stop every time the Qualcomm beeped. This is because most of the time the messages were the same "generic" bulletins sent daily. Stopping - say 8 times (average amount of times the Qualcomm would beep a generic message in a day) - can lose an hour or more on the road because I'd have to pull into a rest area to stop the truck and use the Qualcomm. And most often, I did not have that hour to lose. My Dispatcher (JD Hodgestradt) seemed to think I could stop multiple times to look at every single Qualcomm message and still make the loads on time. After missing load swaps and arguing with dispatch about the reasons why, I began to stop each time the qualcomm beeped (often every half hour) which resulted in slower average speeds and late loads. This forced dispatch to back up my delivery times. This is a case where dispatch/driver relations were not working out, and I was not given another dispatcher after my request to Fleet Management. The impossible task thing is something I also experienced with Swift when getting a truck assignment; resulting in my driver code being terminated which they put on my DAC report as a V.Q. (Voluntary Quit) - an earlier result of the recession and having hired too many drivers for the government subsidy these trucking companies recieved for taking on student drivers. The end result with Werner was I was terminated for late loads, and disciplinary issues (fighting with dispatch).

((3): The company's reaction can be viewed as creating a hostile work environment, one that makes it impossible to work and is an attempt to make you quit so that the employer does not have to pay unemployment benefits): It is my contention that the company (Werner Enterprises) made it impossible for me to work in not seeing reason where the tight load times were concerned and not giving me a better window to properly take care of myself. Other examples of an impossible work environment with Werner were repairs not addressed in a timely manner (my truck was down a total of 15 days in a 40 day period for one problem which resulted in a low production rating my dispatcher tried to blame me for), and a Qualcomm System saying I was idling my truck when I was not. The issues of idling was cause for termination as well as late loads and low production, and I have seen many terminations of drivers within Werner for idling. I had this pressure and worry over something I was not doing on top of my load times, and saw myself as being set up in this instance as well as the late loads. This added to fights with dispatch, and more added stress on me. Because I did not quit (in a bad economy/recession, there was no way I was going to simply quit), the company used the late loads and my fighting with dispatch as reason for terminating me. this results in my not being able to collect unemployment benefits as per what I read in the guidelines to be eligible.

The tight running times (time vs. mileage) is all a matter of record through the electronic logging system. Additionally, my dispatcher (J.D. Hodgestradt) was uncooperative in helping me when I'd not know what certain things would mean. He'd not address my inquiry when I put it to him. As far as I see, Werner created an unnecessary hostile work environment on top of the usuals in trucking I was well aware of and willing to accept. The usuals being low pay, long hours, only 1 day off per week worked, away from home at least 3 weeks at a time, rude people in the terminals, not to mention the everyday hazards non-professional drivers create on the road on a daily basis. Werner added to these anomalies by not allowing me time when enrout on a long distance haul to properly care for myself, and do my job in a safe manner.

I have met a few werner drivers that was ther 30 yrs or better,it's like how on earth can u stay here that long.One guy started when CL only had a few trks.Companies like werner u don't wanna give them any kind of a notice you're leaving because as u found out the hard way,they're going to make your life a living hell.They did with me the last few months I was there because I kept threatening to quit.Finally while at home I thought what better time then now so I cleaned trk out and bobtailed to werner.Yep unfortunately you will have to go back to school then get retrained.Heck long term veterans have to do the same thing if the've been out of the trk for so long.

I met a couple of Werner drivers with 20+ years and several million miles with that company. Like I said, all companies have to have a few lifers. It's that reputation thing - you know - "we have multi million milers and 20+ year drivers with our company". All companies will cater to a few and make a few happy and nonsense-free. Either that, or some of these people are brain dead. Like I mentioned - if one is looking at a big company who has absolutly no long time veterans, that would send up a caution flag where that company is concerned. I've heard that Werner was at least a little better when CL ran the place anyway.

I heard the same thing ,it was better when CL owned it.Now that his son runs the place its gone down hill.Werner has one on the most highest turnover rates in the industry.You would think they would look at those numbers every month and wonder why so many quit and do something about it.
I met a couple of Werner drivers with 20+ years and several million miles with that company. Like I said, all companies have to have a few lifers. It's that reputation thing - you know - "we have multi million milers and 20+ year drivers with our company". All companies will cater to a few and make a few happy and nonsense-free. Either that, or some of these people are brain dead. Like I mentioned - if one is looking at a big company who has absolutly no long time veterans, that would send up a caution flag where that company is concerned. I've heard that Werner was at least a little better when CL ran the place anyway.

Where is that.....oh yeah......what happens when one has too much on ones mind....
1.gif
or maybe one's a wee bit :coocoo: and not for Cocoa Puffs.

Then there's.....View attachment 10988.....so who knows.

There's one sure fire way outta Trucking....however WE PREFER ONE STOPS THE VEHICLE FIRST....:shootself: !!!

G'Day!!
View attachment 10988

Where is that.....oh yeah......what happens when one has too much on ones mind....
1.gif
or maybe one's a wee bit :coocoo: and not for Cocoa Puffs.

Then there's.....View attachment 10989.....so who knows.

There's one sure fire way outta Trucking....however WE PREFER ONE STOPS THE VEHICLE FIRST....:shootself: !!!

G'Day!!

Oh great, another psychiatrist.

A sure fire way out of trucking is following the D.O.T. to the letter. We'll see how much longer companies can continue to get away with making up their own rules and regs.

From the useless thread "Sean, yooo hoooo":

Quote from XR:

This thread is useless. Do not start another thread for the sole purpose of harrassing another member. The Werner thread, like the company itself, is where all the crap needs to remain.

Thread closed... soon to be deleted.

Wargames thought he was being funny creating the thread "Sean, Yooo hoooo". Okay, so I am the most famous person here aside from admin and mods. I presented my experiences and opinions of how/why Werner created the hostile work environment. Most have chosen to NOT see points I have made, and decided that I was the one to blame. Okay - whatever. As I was given a hard time for logging by the book and any other whatevers, I gave a hard time back when I decided the job was trash and not worth it.

Wargames and Glenn are buddies. They joined this forum at the same time, and probably live in the vicinity of one another. Flatlander may well know them too as he also joined at about the same time frame. I don't need to deal with their B.S. anymore. I have the dubious fame. They seem to choose to do it to death. These guys are senior members after only a little over a month?!?!

XR hammered the thread. Kudos to XR. The only thing he said there that I have a problem with is the crap remaining here on this thread. As threads should not be created to harrass another member, don't bother harrassing me here either. I have grown tired of the B.S., and I will go to mods when the harrassing starts again here too. I have shown I can argue. Now that BOOKS have been written, rather than go on with it, I am going to mods to have a stop put to further immature nonsense. I made my point, and others (some who have not even driven as of yet) have made theirs. I have been told to not judge the entire industry by Werner or Swift, and the experiences I was unfortunate enough to have. Don't judge me by two lousy experiences, and don't think that because an industry has been good to you, that it is good to all. Others have had experiences similar to mine. I chose to voice it. Too bad about the company and industry kiss butts who don't like it. This forum is to INFORM as well as the useless garbo that makes up 90% of it. You do NOT have to be a member to read of the experiences of others. I wrote my experiences for those who will check out these forums without joining, and to see what others have experienced. And this forum does have a "report a bad trucking company" section.
View attachment 10989

Oh great, another psychiatrist.

Nope, not a psychiatrist, psychologist, or any other form/personage of/in the Medical field.
Attempt to imply HUMOR yet obviously such isn't well received at Truckers Forum.

It's probably not totally your fault. Admittedly my sense of humor has been on the skids for a long time now. Not the best disposition. Don't judge T.F. by me, I'm not the best example.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread