The Island of Misfit Toys

I've been at this a year or two, I know how it works. But you've never got a blind BOL from a broker? Used to be pretty common to get one via email. "use this BOL for delivery."

The email @mndriver shared specifically mentioned BOLs recieved from Landstar that didn't match the rate cons. Hence my WTF. There's some ****ery going on here!
I had one blind run with Landstar. But... since I was a Landstar driver, I didn't have any foolishness to deal with. My rate con had everything on it except addresses. It ended up being one of the coolest experiences I've ever had out here. My pickup sucked. But my delivery took me to Cleveland. I was UNDERNEATH the Quicken Loans Arena, where the Cavaliers play. It's now called the Rocket Mortgage Field House. Even though it was a cool run, I'll never do a blind run again. Landstar didn't make me do anything weird with paperwork. I just scanned in the BOL I was given and that was that. No extra steps. But again, I was working for them at the time. That might have made a difference (?) but I have no idea. It may also be that they have since changed their policy. All I know is Landstar licks dog nuts, and I won't miss them.

I had one blind run with Landstar. But... since I was a Landstar driver, I didn't have any foolishness to deal with. My rate con had everything on it except addresses. It ended up being one of the coolest experiences I've ever had out here. My pickup sucked. But my delivery took me to Cleveland. I was UNDERNEATH the Quicken Loans Arena, where the Cavaliers play. It's now called the Rocket Mortgage Field House. Even though it was a cool run, I'll never do a blind run again. Landstar didn't make me do anything weird with paperwork. I just scanned in the BOL I was given and that was that. No extra steps. But again, I was working for them at the time. That might have made a difference (?) but I have no idea. It may also be that they have since changed their policy. All I know is Landstar licks dog nuts, and I won't miss them.
Island number one

It wasn’t quite a blind run, but the address was “island number one” on the BOL

Island number one

It wasn’t quite a blind run, but the address was “island number one” on the BOL
I'll never understand why blind runs exist. If I had known where I was picking up and where I was going, I would have turned it down. I'm not even sure what the cloak and dagger routine was for. I figured it was some crazy high security load. Nope. Crushed marble for flooring. Basically worthless. It was a one time experience, I'll never run blind again. That rate con will be getting sent back.

I'll never understand why blind runs exist. If I had known where I was picking up and where I was going, I would have turned it down. I'm not even sure what the cloak and dagger routine was for. I figured it was some crazy high security load. Nope. Crushed marble for flooring. Basically worthless. It was a one time experience, I'll never run blind again. That rate con will be getting sent back.
I never understand it when they ask you to identify as Moonlight Trucking or whatever. I don’t care, whatever lies need to be told to get loaded.
You want my first name to be Laquisha? Sure thing, as long as it helps get the junk on the deck

I never understand it when they ask you to identify as Moonlight Trucking or whatever. I don’t care, whatever lies need to be told to get loaded.
You want my first name to be Laquisha? Sure thing, as long as it helps get the junk on the deck
"What's the secret phrase?"

"The crow...flies...at midnight."

"Okay c'mon back. No sudden moves. And keep your hands out your pockets. Boss gets nervous."

"Oookay"

"Welcome to Target Distribution!"

It all seemed like needless cloak and dagger. Most of the time, everyone on both ends seemed to know something was fishy. Got more than one eye roll from the dock clerks when asked where it was going /coming from. Stuff @ 3rd party warehouses, nobody cared, but the actual origin/destination always had an idea things were less than completely kosher. Always felt like I was in the middle of something without knowing I was.

Oftentimes when you get blind bills, there's five parties involved

Broker
Dealer
Shipper
Carrier
Receiver

The only party that really knows everything is the dealer. The dealer contracted the broker to find the carrier.

The dealer is the customer of the shipper. A wholesale supplier

The receiver is the customer of the dealer.

Dealer never wants the receiver to learn about the shipper. Because then they can go find a cheaper price.

Go crack a six-pack and think about that.

Oftentimes when you get blind bills, there's five parties involved

Broker
Dealer
Shipper
Carrier
Receiver

The only party that really knows everything is the dealer. The dealer contracted the broker to find the carrier.

The dealer is the customer of the shipper. A wholesale supplier

The receiver is the customer of the dealer.

Dealer never wants the receiver to learn about the shipper. Because then they can go find a cheaper price.

Go crack a six-pack and think about that.
Easy, killer. I just got myself acclimated to the DAT board 🤣🤣🤣

Some days you just say f*** it and roll with the punches.

I have actually had one blind Bill, where I was instructed to destroy the original bill of lading and only use the one email to me.

No I did not destroy them, but nobody else ever saw them

I've been at this a year or two, I know how it works. But you've never got a blind BOL from a broker? Used to be pretty common to get one via email. "use this BOL for delivery."

The email @mndriver shared specifically mentioned BOLs recieved from Landstar that didn't match the rate cons. Hence my WTF. There's some ****ery going on here!
Agreed. Didn't mean to insult you. Before I left them, I started seeing the ****ery of which you spoke. Lots of it. Being there was like the story about the frog in boiling water. Toss a frog in boiling water and he'll jump out quick. Put him in water and slowly raise the temperature, he'll sit in there til he's dead. I'm glad I didn't get to failure point, for the sake of my marriage and my life. Had I continued to sit in that water, both would have eventually been ruined. The BOL thing doesn't surprise me at all, and I'm actually surprised that the load got paid. I'd rather eat a plateful of broken glass while walking through fire than touch a single load of theirs now that I'm gone. I cringe when I think about that place. I'll give them credit for this.... they never lied to me. Not once. For a trucking company that's pretty rare.

Some days you just say f*** it and roll with the punches.

I have actually had one blind Bill, where I was instructed to destroy the original bill of lading and only use the one email to me.

No I did not destroy them, but nobody else ever saw them
Your mission, should you choose to accept it.... 🤣🤣

I'm sitting here in what is both the best and worst situation. I feel that my learning curve here will be smaller than the curve from company guy to Landstar. But this is gonna take a minute. The amount of information swarming me is just nuts. This place is awesome and frightening at the same time. @Snowblind the Keeptruckin app is the greatest thing ever for logs, totally loving it. It's completely headache-free. All logs should be this easy. It's ironic that I'm signed on with a super-pro-churchy company and this is the song that comes to mind.

I'm sitting here in what is both the best and worst situation. I feel that my learning curve here will be smaller than the curve from company guy to Landstar. But this is gonna take a minute. The amount of information swarming me is just nuts. This place is awesome and frightening at the same time. @Snowblind the Keeptruckin app is the greatest thing ever for logs, totally loving it. It's completely headache-free. All logs should be this easy. It's ironic that I'm signed on with a super-pro-churchy company and this is the song that comes to mind.

Is it dry van work?

Sweet!

Enjoy the ride
Thanks! Unfortunately this thing has an air leak. Can't hear it, but it's there. Swapped out all four glad hand seals, no improvement. I'm guessing I've got a defective brake chamber. As everyone knows, you can't hear them (usually) when they're leaking. Shouldn't be going bad at this young age, but who knows. Compressor is kicking on every 5 minutes and it for sure isn't my truck.

Thanks! Unfortunately this thing has an air leak. Can't hear it, but it's there. Swapped out all four glad hand seals, no improvement. I'm guessing I've got a defective brake chamber. As everyone knows, you can't hear them (usually) when they're leaking. Shouldn't be going bad at this young age, but who knows. Compressor is kicking on every 5 minutes and it for sure isn't my truck.
Yank your spike and do a walk around?

Yank your spike and do a walk around?
I've done about half a dozen walk arounds. I'm gonna put this thing in the shop in a couple days when I come home and let them wrestle with it while I'm sitting on my couch. I'm guessing i either have a bad chamber or a faulty relay/sensor.

I've done about half a dozen walk arounds. I'm gonna put this thing in the shop in a couple days when I come home and let them wrestle with it while I'm sitting on my couch. I'm guessing i either have a bad chamber or a faulty relay/sensor.
You could put some dish soap in a spray bottle with water and spray everything down. Tanks bags fittings

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread