The Autonomous Trucking Forum - Information On A New Era Of Trucking

Mike

With the new era of Autonomous Trucking approaching us rapidly, we feel like it is time to dedicate an area of our community to this. Several existing threads on the subject of autonomous trucking have been moved to this new section to kickstart it, and we hope to have plenty more discussion on this ever growing topic.

Whether autonomous trucking succeeds or fails, there is no doubt that there will be a strong attempt at making it a reality. All drivers, whether your area of the industry uses these trucks or not, will be affected. Drivers losing their jobs to automation will be trying to push their way into areas without autonomous trucks.

If you are new to the trucking industry, it is likely that you will see the effects of autonomous trucking first hand. Those who are nearing the end of their trucking careers may be unaffected. Drivers in the middle with 10-15 years left, it is unknown if or how much the era of autonomous trucking will affect you.

Make no mistake folks, there are companies investing millions and millions of dollars into autonomous trucking, and many of the trucking companies out there are crossing their fingers that this becomes a reality. You may think that the attempts toward autonomous trucking will fail, and they may, but you need to be prepared to adjust with this change if it becomes a reality. Don't bury your head in the sand and be caught at the last minute with no plan of action for the future.

The Autonomous Trucking Forum is a place for you to share you opinions, discuss the latest news, and discuss how you can adjust to be successful in the impending era of autonomous trucking. If Autonomous Trucks succeed in this industry, there will be niches where you can be successful, but it will take work, and it won't be for the average guy or gal that just want to hold a steering wheel.

As autonomous trucking becomes closer to a reality, you will begin to see just how it will affect the trucking industry, allowing you to start making your plans on how you want to proceed in your career. The majority of drivers will let the reality of this sneak up on them, don't be part of that majority. Be prepared to succeed in the trucking industry, whether the era of autonomous trucks succeeds or fails.

I am sure they will succeed. I have been waiting a long time for self driving trucks. If they get into the market, I may look at going back to OTR.
I have no illusions like the truck haters out there. Airplanes have had auto pilot for years and yet there are still two pilots on every plane.

I have no illusions like the truck haters out there. Airplanes have had auto pilot for years and yet there are still two pilots on every plane.

I am sure they will at least begin with drivers in the truck in case of emergency. Whether that will be permanent is up for debate though.

There was a time that elevators had someone inside. There was no need for that person, but it made those riding in the elevator more comfortable. Eventually, they went away.

In an airplane, there are dozens, even hundreds, of passengers at risk if something goes wrong. In a truck, some will argue that there is no risk of life that will require a driver inside the truck. Again, up for debate, but that will be the argument.

I am sure they will at least begin with drivers in the truck in case of emergency. Whether that will be permanent is up for debate though.

There was a time that elevators had someone inside. There was no need for that person, but it made those riding in the elevator more comfortable. Eventually, they went away.

In an airplane, there are dozens, even hundreds, of passengers at risk if something goes wrong. In a truck, some will argue that there is no risk of life that will require a driver inside the truck. Again, up for debate, but that will be the argument.
Meh, By the time they are ready to cut a self driving truck loose on its own, I will be dead.
No great loss, Not me, Of course that would be a great loss:p. I mean the loss of drivers in the truck. The youts these days have no interest in being away from mommy for a day and those that are ain't worth a shit as drivers:cool:

Think of all of the billions they will be saving they will be able to run the truck 24 7 at the speed limit take things off the truck making it lighter they will save a ton in fuel costs then

wonders what kind of crazy billshit requirements commieforina will have with these self driving trucks since you won't need a standard licence to drive a self driving 4 wheeler out here:stare1:

i was in glendale today and i was in the lane next to a self driving tesla model x creepy. the funny thing was is the car didn't drive no different than an idiot behind the wheel it even sped up only to stop at the next red light:biglaugh:. the first thought was how much did that POS cost him:confused-96:

right wrong or otherwise Autonomous trucks are coming and coming quickly and todays truckers had better wake up to the fact that this is going to be a mind boggling change and the best advice I can think of is to not bury your head in the sand, think outside the box and figure out where a professional driver will fit in the grand scheme of things

right wrong or otherwise Autonomous trucks are coming and coming quickly and todays truckers had better wake up to the fact that this is going to be a mind boggling change and the best advice I can think of is to not bury your head in the sand, think outside the box and figure out where a professional driver will fit in the grand scheme of things
they should start playing video games the way things are going :stare1:

If I was starting a first career right now, knowing about the autonomous trucks coming, I wouldn't be hesitant about getting into trucking.

I could be wrong but I think local jobs will still need a driver, the first jobs that robots will take over is the dedicated full truck load runs LTL runs wil be next, I see oversized as pretty safe, along with construction I am sure there are more but if I was still driving these are the areas I would try to get into fairly quickly, before the rush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread