• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

swift?

jjj

i was wanting to get some information on swift. There rider policy, like can my fiancee can go with me? also anything good or bad u can tell me about the company would be great.
thanks

While most will consider Swift one of the "bottom feeder" companies, with today's economy, if you can get on board with 'em, I say go for it, especially if you're a new driver. Get your experience, and then look elsewhere for better employment.

It's harder than hell to find a driving job right now, especially as a new driver. If you can put up with the BS for a year, it'll give you the needed experience to land something better with one of the better companies out there.

I agree with biker.So many complain and complain about companies thinken they'll find a job where the grass is greener on the other side.But with todays economy,take swift.You may not get a second chance anytime soon to find a job.So many have a hirefreeze and so many only hire in certain areas.

well u might want to consider PAM instead of swift- i know for sure they are hiring right now, but they dont have as broad of a hiring area as swift so it depends on where u live. PAM has a rider program for your fiance if u pay a little extra for insurance (think its 10 dollars a month). it is a smaller company and has a few advantages over swift.

you can google PAM Transport to find the feeder schools.

JJJ,

As to rider policy...you will need to address that issue with the appropriate dept within the company you're considering to work for.

As to Swift's reputation...I will only share my opinion about being a trucker. Whether a company is good or bad, to a certain degree on the bad, a trucker must understand the true benefit...being with whatever company...comes from the relationship between the trucker and the dispatch manager...and the trucker's own ability to work his truck. Swift does not have a good reputation regarding their relationship with drivers. But this does not dictate whether you, yourself, could not be successful with Swift.

-ss-

thankyou everyone for your input. I am starting school and i am just trying to know as much as i can about the companys. my father inlaw is a trucker and has good info but its good to get other peoples thoughts. i got a prehire from werner and covenant. anything that you guys know about them would also help. thanks again

I drove for swift and discovered it sucked. Being held in Canada or Laredo Texas for days before gettin a load. Then get a sh#&*y run. It's your choice. As for the rider program. You have to fill out all kinds of paperwork. Get a photo copy of that persons ID. Then wait for approval. Unless it changed. Gettin home was a joke. All I asked was to be home evry other weekend for my visitation with my daughter. It never happened. True I got paid empty or loaded, but the experience all in all sucked. I was let go when they merged with MS carriers. Older drivers beat out younger drivers. And I'm not talking age. I'm refering to senority.

it just so happens that i spent some time talking to a 6 month swift driver at a loading dock. i asked how the miles are right now and he is happy that he is getting 2000 miles a week.

if that is the norm for them then u can do better... right now they are running our wheels off here (had some 3500 mile weeks lately)

part of the reason for this probably has to do with layoffs (we had them and swift didnt) so now we are more short handed since biz picked up a little.

so if u can try and find out what actual drivers at the different companies are getting on mileage, they all promise something but your results will vary from the promises.

remember that if you are gonna spend time away from home like this then you want to make it worth your time- drive as much as you can!

And if they are running your wheels off now and you are getting good miles, squirrel some of that money away for in the winter when freight slows down and you might be getting half the miles

(galaxygirl) i am not working yet i am in truckdriving school at the moment and trying to find out what is a good company to start with. Ive heard mix reviews. I plan on being out for a couple weeks at a time.
Thankyou everyone for all the info.

Couple of weeks at a time? Not going to make much that way and your dispatcher isn't going to like you very much. A more realistic plan is 4-6 weeks out before you take home time. And remember, when you're at home, you aren't making money.

(galaxygirl) i am not working yet i am in truckdriving school at the moment and trying to find out what is a good company to start with. Ive heard mix reviews. I plan on being out for a couple weeks at a time.
Thankyou everyone for all the info.
Ya what biker says,stay out at least a month.You go home every other week and that's only 2 days home time.You stay out a month and SOME WILL GIVE YOU 5 DAYS HOMETIME.Opps sorry about the caps.

who do u work for?

sorry for the delayed response but i just caught your question.

Yes i am a trainer for PAM and no i aint angling to collect a bonus to have u sign on, i really believe you would be happier at PAM (if you live in the area) than Swift.

they are similar but PAM is much smaller so you can get help easier when u need it plus i believe our training is better (at least in my case!) lol. and dont forget the miles!

Jeff you have me convinced you're an excellent trainer.There should be more trainers like you.So many use the students for the miles.Many will drive off the students loggbook and not let them behind the wheel much.Sad trainers have to be that way.Alot of students that are newly qualified end up getting in a wreck,why because their so called trainers did'nt teach them much.Many companies let drivers train after 3 months OTR.That's like the blind leading the blind.

Jeff you have me convinced you're an excellent trainer.There should be more trainers like you.So many use the students for the miles.Many will drive off the students loggbook and not let them behind the wheel much.Sad trainers have to be that way.Alot of students that are newly qualified end up getting in a wreck,why because their so called trainers did'nt teach them much.Many companies let drivers train after 3 months OTR.That's like the blind leading the blind.

yeah i know it took me 6 months before i could back up without embarrasing myself! imagine those guys training!

i see those trainers all the time, they appear to be at most companies. you hear stories like guys not being able to take showers for over 4 days and not being able to stop for restroom (using bottles while driving) just cause the trainer is so into getting miles.

actually my trainer only let me back up one time the whole month- and that is probably what made me decide to be different and actually decide to teach something.

it is pretty rewarding to see the bulk of my students sticking around and staying in the biz while driving safe, the retention of new drivers typically is not a high number mostly because they miss home and/or get fed up with the system.

ya know the saying- "you can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day- teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime". i always feel proud when i teach someone how to make a honest living.

Back in the day I remember having a trainer who did'nt bathe.But I would'nt dare give hom up for the world.He was an excewllent trainer.But I did have words with him about his hygiene and that's all it took.He started showering every other day.He trk was just as deplorable.I could'nt help myself but to clean it.It was'nt just the papers scatered all over but his floor and week old spilled pop. Jeff you have every reason to be proud.Your students come out knowing alot more then many students do. I personally think drivers should have at least a year OTR exp before training.I had a friend who got trained at Werner and got qualified.But because his trainer did'nt give him hardly any drivtime he got in 3 serious wrecks after he got his own trk.He never did any city driving,only interstate.Heck a monkey can drive the interstate.Well first week he hit a low bridge in Chicago,2nd week he turned to sharp and hit a car stopped at a lite,3rd week he hit a parked car.It was his fault for not requesting a different trainer.Needless to say he lost his CDL for I think 7 yrs.

Any of the mega carriers may pay you very little and expect you to take the runs no one else wants. You may receive a slighty disgusting tractor with mechanical problems that you and their shop will need to get fixed. Most new drivers maybe stuck living in the tractor for 4-8 weeks b4 seeing any hometime. If you decide to quit you may receive some very nasty remakes on your DAC report barring you from possibly never working in this industry again. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

where is PAM out of? Im up in Northern cali

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread