• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Swift Transportation

Reviewer

Swift Transportation is currently the largest truckload carrier in the United States, offering various driving opportunites including solo and team OTR position, regional, dedicated, and local driving opportunities. Swift Transportation has been recently named carrier of the year for companies such as Wal Mart, Quaker Oats, Rite Aid, Dollar Tree, Target, Fed Ex, Lowe's, and Ryder Logistics.

Whether you are an experience driver, or looking to begin your career in the trucking industry, Swift Transportation has opportunities for you.

For more information about Swift Transportation, visit their website at Swift Transportation Co.,Inc-America's Leading Trucking Company

-------------
Do you work for this company, or have you worked for it in the past? Give a review here. If you have questions, post them here as well for drivers who are familiar with the company to answer if possible.

off the road, I'm going back on. Need more (recent) experience so I can do local driving later on.

My philosophy on the road is this...pick up the load on time (or early when possible/allowed), and deliver the same way. I don't play around, I just do my job, safely and legally.

That said, I will be going to orientation in Lancaster, TX next week for Swift. Is there anything I should know before going in that would be helpful in the orientation process?

I do have a couple of verifiable employment gaps, with w2's/tax forms/reference letters to back them up. I was living in Florida until last year, and the economy has practically killed that place for jobs.

I've never used drugs, so passing the drug test wouldn't be a problem. Do they do hair tests, or just the pee drop? Just curious, because JB uses both.

I know the recruiters can be full of it (they're salespeople after all), so realistically, what kind of miles can I expect the first few months. Recruiter says 2500 - 3000, but we all know that's a bit high.

Have they switched to e-logs, or are they still using paper?

Ok, I'll back down for now...any info is much appreciated. Please keep it safe out there and keep the shiny side up!

Alright so I am what you may call new to all of this. I am thinking about getting into trucking and choosing Swift as my "Starter" Company... I have read good and bad about all of the companies out there, and I feel this one is the least bad of all.... So my question is to any truckers who are currently employeed with Swift. I am wondering if there are any lay-offs or if there is a hiring freeze or anything, due to the price of fuel, and if you are able to get the miles to pay the bills (2500-3000) a week?? So if anybody has any insight to this I would greatly appreciate any information. I know companies may say there are no problems, but just wondering from some of the truckers out there if you are still getting the miles. Thanks

I am getting plenty of miles (averaging 2700/week) Not always healthy for the log book though. I haven't heard of any lay-offs, just drivers bitching about not getting miles. It's usually their own fault or sometimes their DM's fault. But mostly their fault. If you pick-up and deliver on-time and don't run into or over anything, you should get plenty of miles. Show the load planners that you can cover the loads and they'll keep you moving.

off the road, I'm going back on. Need more (recent) experience so I can do local driving later on.

My philosophy on the road is this...pick up the load on time (or early when possible/allowed), and deliver the same way. I don't play around, I just do my job, safely and legally.

That said, I will be going to orientation in Lancaster, TX next week for Swift. Is there anything I should know before going in that would be helpful in the orientation process?

I do have a couple of verifiable employment gaps, with w2's/tax forms/reference letters to back them up. I was living in Florida until last year, and the economy has practically killed that place for jobs.

I've never used drugs, so passing the drug test wouldn't be a problem. Do they do hair tests, or just the pee drop? Just curious, because JB uses both.

I know the recruiters can be full of it (they're salespeople after all), so realistically, what kind of miles can I expect the first few months. Recruiter says 2500 - 3000, but we all know that's a bit high.

Ok, I'll back down for now...any info is much appreciated. Please keep it safe out there and keep the shiny side up!

I just peed in a cup. They sent me a message the other day saying they want me to start using the e-log on the QC Monday. This should prove to be very entertaining. If you pick-up and deliver like you say, then you shouldn't have any problems. The load planners take note of the trucks that can cover freight and keep them moving. A few weeks ago they had several trucks in the Ackron, OH area and moved "selected" drivers to where there was freight. I was one of those they moved. I think they left about 15 trucks sitting until some loads came available. I dead-headed about 600 miles to go get a load because they knew I would cover the load and get it there on time. Any questions I didn't answer, just fire away. I'll answer as soon as I can.

Igloo:

Thanks for the response in reference to my message. I really appreciate it. I have ALWAYS considered myself to be a hard worker and very Punctual, so getting loads to their destination on time wouldn't be hard for me to do. I just want Swift to keep me moving, and make the $$$... cause after all thats what its all about. I just put in my application a few days ago and hope to hear from Swift soon. My worries are about backing the truck, and driving the truck. But I guess thats what training is for huh?? Haven't had a ticket in like 10+ years, or an accident in almost 15+ years.

You still may have trouble backing even after training but that all comes with exp.I was one of the worst backers on the planet.But now it's real easy.It's all in the setup and for me I find a refference point and most the time i'm set up perfect with the dock.A refference point is say a tree,maybe a car a line anything that is lined up with the dock you're backing into and that always works great for me.Whether it's driving making a turn over think it just do it.
Igloo:

Thanks for the response in reference to my message. I really appreciate it. I have ALWAYS considered myself to be a hard worker and very Punctual, so getting loads to their destination on time wouldn't be hard for me to do. I just want Swift to keep me moving, and make the $$$... cause after all thats what its all about. I just put in my application a few days ago and hope to hear from Swift soon. My worries are about backing the truck, and driving the truck. But I guess thats what training is for huh?? Haven't had a ticket in like 10+ years, or an accident in almost 15+ years.

I just peed in a cup. They sent me a message the other day saying they want me to start using the e-log on the QC Monday. This should prove to be very entertaining. If you pick-up and deliver like you say, then you shouldn't have any problems. The load planners take note of the trucks that can cover freight and keep them moving. A few weeks ago they had several trucks in the Ackron, OH area and moved "selected" drivers to where there was freight. I was one of those they moved. I think they left about 15 trucks sitting until some loads came available. I dead-headed about 600 miles to go get a load because they knew I would cover the load and get it there on time. Any questions I didn't answer, just fire away. I'll answer as soon as I can.

Thank you for your reply...much appreciated!

As for the unemployment gaps, you may have to provide a notarized letter from more than one person stating you were unemployed during that time period.

So i just wanted to come on here and post that I talked to a recruiter from Swift and he was trying to sell their driving school on me. He said "Well we can't assure you will have a job here unless you go to our driving school".... Sounded like bull **** to get me locked, into a contract with them. The driving school I will be attending is very reputable and I shouldn't have a problem getting on with Swift as a Student Graduate Driver. Looking for insight as to whether this recruiter is just feeding me a load. Thanks

All recruiters feed you lines.How else they going to bring in students if they don't glamour it up a bit.Besides they get paid on commission so they're going to not tell the entire truth.If they did they would'nt be in business now because noone would attend their school.So once you graduate from school why do u want to make Swift your first company??????????????Have you by chance read any of the negative replies about Swift?????????????You have plenty of time while attending school,you should see what other companies havew to offer.Maybe talk to a few drivers in person.Don't make a snap decision.
So i just wanted to come on here and post that I talked to a recruiter from Swift and he was trying to sell their driving school on me. He said "Well we can't assure you will have a job here unless you go to our driving school".... Sounded like bull **** to get me locked, into a contract with them. The driving school I will be attending is very reputable and I shouldn't have a problem getting on with Swift as a Student Graduate Driver. Looking for insight as to whether this recruiter is just feeding me a load. Thanks

I have read both good and bad things about all starter companies. The reason that I have decided to go with Swift is based on my best un-educated guess. The way I feel about it is that Swift will get you the miles you need, seeing's how they are the biggest in the country. That is something that I am needing. However, I will keep a open mind while in school and talk to other companies. Thanks for the insight.

LOL,Lots pf luck in getting the miles.I see alot of swift drivers sit and sit and sit.It's a true main fact,the bigger the company the more sitting you'll do.They have alot more drivers then freight.So they have to even it out with all the drivers.Go back to those comments and see bethween the good and bad commentswhich one outweighs the other.
I have read both good and bad things about all starter companies. The reason that I have decided to go with Swift is based on my best un-educated guess. The way I feel about it is that Swift will get you the miles you need, seeing's how they are the biggest in the country. That is something that I am needing. However, I will keep a open mind while in school and talk to other companies. Thanks for the insight.

It's a true main fact,the bigger the company the more sitting you'll do.They have alot more drivers then freight.So they have to even it out with all the drivers.

That is a true statement: When I worked for my last company, the average miles for each trip was around 400-850 miles. I'm at a smaller company now, and my miles for each trip is somewhere between 1,000 to 2,500 miles. So, it's true that the bigger the company is, the crappier the runs will be for many drivers.

As far as Swift? Get your experience with them, and then move on to bigger things if you're ambitious. Swift is not a bad company, but if there are other companies that are willing to pay you more money to perform the exact same work, then why stay with the same company?

Bryan. I was a swift driverright before they blew new york up. I pulled a step deck, delivering chassis, and coil steel mostly. I spent alot of down time. especially in Canada, and Laredo texas. I was there when they merged with MS carriers. Needless to say. shortly after the merge. I got less miles, and more down time. the weekend before they got new york. I was on my way to canada and got the message to drop my load in shoals in. no explanation, no reason. when asked they sent message back. JUST DROP LOAD......in those letters. swift left a sour taste in my mouth and a very small wallet. yup they are a BIG company and have a very high turnover rate. take your chances. I saw a driver a few days ago that I used to run with, and he got tired of the B.S. they were dishin out. he now drives for crst, and is makin good change. best of luck which ever way you go

I imagine Swift is alot worse now.You don't have to drive for a company to know if it's bad or not,just look around,the proof is in the drivers.
Bryan. I was a swift driverright before they blew new york up. I pulled a step deck, delivering chassis, and coil steel mostly. I spent alot of down time. especially in Canada, and Laredo texas. I was there when they merged with MS carriers. Needless to say. shortly after the merge. I got less miles, and more down time. the weekend before they got new york. I was on my way to canada and got the message to drop my load in shoals in. no explanation, no reason. when asked they sent message back. JUST DROP LOAD......in those letters. swift left a sour taste in my mouth and a very small wallet. yup they are a BIG company and have a very high turnover rate. take your chances. I saw a driver a few days ago that I used to run with, and he got tired of the B.S. they were dishin out. he now drives for crst, and is makin good change. best of luck which ever way you go

I see alot of swift drivers sit and sit and sit.It's a true main fact,the bigger the company the more sitting you'll do.They have alot more drivers then freight.So they have to even it out with all the drivers.

I drive for Swift and it's true that SOME Swift drivers sit. I am NOT one of them. They will re-position me to an area that has freight because they know I will get the load delivered on time and safely. I have been moved over 400 miles to get a load while a dozen or so other drivers were left there to sit and wait. You get what you earn and you earn what you get. Most everyone who bashes Swift is leaving something out of the conversation. Whether it be that they turned down load after load, got lost, arrived late or something. If you could get the whole truth you could make a well informed decision. But since you won't get the whole truth it will be impossible. No matter how thin the pancake there is always two sides to it.

I drive for Swift and it's true that SOME Swift drivers sit. I am NOT one of them. They will re-position me to an area that has freight because they know I will get the load delivered on time and safely. I have been moved over 400 miles to get a load while a dozen or so other drivers were left there to sit and wait. You get what you earn and you earn what you get. Most everyone who bashes Swift is leaving something out of the conversation. Whether it be that they turned down load after load, got lost, arrived late or something. If you could get the whole truth you could make a well informed decision. But since you won't get the whole truth it will be impossible. No matter how thin the pancake there is always two sides to it.
Good for u that you're getting the miles.The ones that are late all the time or just whine about where they're going or just only wants to drive a certain amt of miles a day are the ones that'll be sitting if I was their DM.I agree about not being well informed about what's going on,in other words lack of communication on both sides.

I appreciate all of the input and have actually started looking around at some other companies but my options are limited at this point. I have called or emailed about a dozen other companies and they do not hire from where I live. There is a local OTR company where I live however, they do require a years driving exp. I have researched most companies that are (Starter) companies and they all have good and negative things to say about them. I have heard bad stuff about alot of companies. However, I do consider myself a hard worker who won't turn loads down, and will never be late. Puctual my whole life. I guess I am still considering Swift but I am looking around.

Where is it you live??????????????/Lets see,swift,werner prime I think,schneider,all the major carriers will hire you I think.
I appreciate all of the input and have actually started looking around at some other companies but my options are limited at this point. I have called or emailed about a dozen other companies and they do not hire from where I live. There is a local OTR company where I live however, they do require a years driving exp. I have researched most companies that are (Starter) companies and they all have good and negative things to say about them. I have heard bad stuff about alot of companies. However, I do consider myself a hard worker who won't turn loads down, and will never be late. Puctual my whole life. I guess I am still considering Swift but I am looking around.

Bryan the other driver that is still with swift might be gettin the miles. I won't deny that SOME drivers do get those miles. I wasn't a beginer driver. I've been driving since I went in the military in the 70s. I was assigned to a dedicated run to Canada and the Carolinas. When they diverted from the dedicated run is when I got screwed the worst. I'd get a run with a delivery time, and while driving. at 59 mph. yup 59 I'd get a message they moved my delivery time up, which would put me behind schedule, causing me to run longer.(sometimes past legal logged hours) thankfully I was still on a log book. Something else to keep in mind. I was repremanded for traveling over 70mph for 3 minutes. going down a mountain. brakes got hot. but irregardless. best of luck in your ventures. hopefully you'll leave with a good experience. of course people who get the miles are happy. I would've been happy if I was treated properly. 2 trucks. 3 DMs,(less than 1 year) and yes Greer is one of the worst terminals on the east coast to go in. I could go on. but. good luck :violin::support:

Just wanted to come on here and thank everybody for their input. Realistically, how much money am i looking at making in my first year of trucking....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread