Road side service call NIGHTMARES

if I can do it and feel like it,i do it
adjusting brakes is simple.

it`s not that hard to get ASE certified.If you got that done,the "man" can`t stop you from working on your brakes.If you are in a accident and the "man" says bad brakes,and you are the last one to work on them and ain`t ASE certified,you can be made to look bad in court as you get sued.

there is a little more to it than being able to adjust your own brakes
Funny how 90% of the mechanics working on trucks in any fleet shop or dealership aren’t ASE certified.

Funny how 90% of the mechanics working on trucks in any fleet shop or dealership aren’t ASE certified.
there was a time (and still might be) that a mechanic (of which i was) had to have at least 2 years working experience to become certified. but many employers back in the day, didn't really care about the (then) NIASE program...

what had irked me is that i became certified in about 8 areas, 6 in cars, 2 in HD trucks and i had to earn those.

then a tech school in my state, somehow convince the ASE people to certify students.....!!!!!

"supposedly, when the student graduated the 2 year program, that's when they'd get haned thier ASE certs"...

to me, that is totally bypassing the actual work history portion. which is a bunch of BS.

i was actually going to recertify all my certs "just because", as i have been recertified a few times, from the original first time, even when i was on the road, i'd recertify...."just because"

it still boils down to, "someone can be certified, but does that mean he (or she) actually knows what the hell to do"?

I believe you
I always wanted my ASE on brakes
what is it,a 3 day class to get it?
Work experience plays a factor in brake certification, you can also attend a class for brake certification, they very in length depending on who does the class.

ASE certification you have to go take like a 75 question test and renew it every 5 years. My ASE certification expired in 2005. It didn’t make me any more money so paying the hundreds of dollars to take the recertification tests was pointless to me. All it got was a patch on my work uniform that I had to buy and pay to have sewed on.

I believe you
I always wanted my ASE on brakes
what is it,a 3 day class to get it?
when i was teaching, we had a one day class on brake adjustments, that was not an ASE cert but a DOT i think, it was supposed to last forever. i think that got changed to only a few years.

with ASE, you recertify i think every 5 years?

Work experience plays a factor in brake certification, you can also attend a class for brake certification, they very in length depending on who does the class.

ASE certification you have to go take like a 75 question test and renew it every 5 years. My ASE certification expired in 2005. It didn’t make me any more money so paying the hundreds of dollars to take the recertification tests was pointless to me. All it got was a patch on my work uniform that I had to buy and pay to have sewed on.
correct, i actually blasted out the former then the new ASE director, Furman i think was his name, Weiner was the new director.

i griped about how much the tests costs, and ASE's failure to promote us, and he said something that it's costly...well, no crap.....

i even had to pay for the nice laminated cert as well

now they spend all sorts of money sponsoring racing....

at my age, i just carry in my wallet my expired ASE certs cards....in case some dumbass mechanic at the toyota dealer thinks he knows more than me.......and they don't.

i got a rear brake noise, he said it's "sloshing in the gas tank"....

god dammit....i know sloshing.......

stupid jerks fixing cars these days.

correct, i actually blasted out the former then the new ASE director, Furman i think was his name, Weiner was the new director.

i griped about how much the tests costs, and ASE's failure to promote us, and he said something that it's costly...well, no crap.....

at my age, i just carry in my wallet my expired ASE certs cards....in case some dumbass mechanic at the toyota dealer thinks he knows more than me.......and they don't.

Hate it when my rear brake gas sloshes!

I like to see their face at a truck shop when I give them my ARC ID for Detroit or my Cummins Rapidserve ID. Look me up I’m legit. Quit treating me like an asshole and listen.

I like to see their face at a truck shop when I give them my ARC ID for Detroit or my Cummins Rapidserve ID. Look me up I’m legit. Quit treating me like an asshole and listen.
exactly, yet they rake in the money. they got a new building some few years ago... how they manage that?

prolly with our testing money.

if I can do it and feel like it,i do it
adjusting brakes is simple.

it`s not that hard to get ASE certified.If you got that done,the "man" can`t stop you from working on your brakes.If you are in a accident and the "man" says bad brakes,and you are the last one to work on them and ain`t ASE certified,you can be made to look bad in court as you get sued.

there is a little more to it than being able to adjust your own brakes
Yup! One of my bosses payed for every driver to take the course before I started working there.
They were all legal to adjust brakes.

Unless its a recent change there is no certification of any sort required for brakes. The reg allows experience to qualify you.

Reactions: AK7
looks to me like the cop and guy with the service truck may have had a little something going on there

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread