Rigmaster APU wont generate electricity

It's a gas tank off a lawnmower. It's the coolant overflow tank. The one that came with it was this tiny little thing that held like 3 ounces and you were constantly having to fill it up so I replaced it. They have since come out with a larger tank to replace it but this one works fine.
I wish you would have said it was the fuel tank and you can get all most a full week of running out of it.:biglaugh:

You never run a block heater more than a couple hours at best....

Plug one up it home over night and watch your electric bill go up.

1,000 (watts in a KWH) divided by 1500 (watts consumed by a block heater) equals point-666. :eek:

12 cents per KWH, on average (where I live) equals about 18 cents per hour (in ordinary time).

18 cents per hour equals about $4 a day....

So, yeah.
Staying plugged in will cost YOU about...
4 x 28...
about $112 a month. :D

Conversely...
staying plugged in costs ME about $8 a month. o_O

DUMMY...
WAIT!!
I meant to say...
Is your outfit taking applications? :rolleyes:

slacker

1,000 (watts in a KWH) divided by 1500 (watts consumed by a block heater) equals point-666. :eek:

12 cents per KWH, on average (where I live) equals about 18 cents per hour (in ordinary time).

18 cents per hour equals about $4 a day....

So, yeah.
Staying plugged in will cost YOU about...
4 x 28...
about $112 a month. :D

Conversely...
staying plugged in costs ME about $8 a month. o_O

DUMMY...
WAIT!!
I meant to say...
Is your outfit taking applications? :rolleyes:
slacker
It dont take much to heat up a 250 Cummins by using a dipstick heateraecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31a5YGB6NBL._SX300_.jpg

I have the Capacitor on order and am waiting to see if that fixes it. I will let you know how it turns out. Skateboard, i like the exhaust trick, i had something similar in my head for my truck, the noise really is pretty bad on these units. I also am considering running it along side the truck stack on the back of the sleeper. I would really like to move my breakers to a easier place to get to as well, maybe i could hang a box on the headache rack above the unit. Bigger breakers would be nice too, are you running both circuits into one big one inside the truck?

It dont take much to heat up a 250 Cummins by using a dipstick heateraecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31a5YGB6NBL._SX300_.jpg
You would consider using one of those things? Are you serious?

How much oil actually contacts the end of a dipstick? If it's going to heat up the large amount of oil in a diesel engine it's going to have to be so hot it's burning the oil all around it. It's either burning it or it's not heating the entire quantity of oil much at all. Better oil heaters, like the magnetic ones that stick to the oil pan, will distribute lower temperature heat across a larger surface area, heating the oil without burning it.

After the two 30amp breakers outside they run inside the truck to one 60amp breaker and one outlet. The noise is not coming from the muffler, the majority of the noise comes from the engine itself. Also, take the cover off the Rigmaster while it's running. You have to jumper the switch on the lower right hand corner of the lid. While the engine is running push down on the air cleaner cover and see if it quiets down. I know it sounds stupid but it's a crap design and creates a very loud low frequency noise.

I thought the muffler would quiet my engine down but it didn't. It did make it a little more quiet. I have a sound meter app on my phone and have compared it to other Rigmasters. The one thing it did solve was the smell coming into the cab.

Also. Order yourself a new sensor that's on the outside of your box inside. It's like a little switch with 2 wires connected. It's about 2" x 2" with a long plastic covered wire going inside the box. It's what turns the AC on and off depending on temperature. The one that was used doesn't allow the unit to cycle very often so they changed it. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Real real easy to replace. Just jam the end inside the fins inside.

I've also programmed my control panel to turn on when the voltage goes below 12.2 volts instead of 11.9. If your interested in the super secret codes, I'll post it.

Wow, guess all this talk about mufflers explains why my post was cut in half.....seems somebody didnt like me talking about the dipstick heater mentioned above? Anyway.....I would like to better understand how to make this rigmaster run and work better, so any info you have would be greatly appreciated Skateboard. I am enjoying your other posts about how to modify this unit. I am one of those guys who like to tinker on everything, and i rarely leave anything "stock" for long, so bring it on....

To get into the secret menu:

Turn off power to Rigmaster
Hold down Right Arrow and Select
Type in Z123

You will see the voltage values in there like +1 +2 and so on.

To get into the secret menu:

Turn off power to Rigmaster
Hold down Right Arrow and Select
Type in Z123

You will see the voltage values in there like +1 +2 and so on.
SKTBRD, I took my RM to New Braunfels, due to my "brain" going out {on my RM} they rerouted the vent coming into the sleeper, put it up higher in the right rear corner of the sleeper and the RM does a lot better, still won't cool the entire cab but better. Sundance told me that it would cost approx $600 to convert my 120 volt to only 1 outlet going into the cab, I didn't do it due to cost, so still have 2 - 20 amp circuits. Good to hear from you! Herb..

SKTBRD, I took my RM to New Braunfels, due to my "brain" going out {on my RM} they rerouted the vent coming into the sleeper, put it up higher in the right rear corner of the sleeper and the RM does a lot better, still won't cool the entire cab but better. Sundance told me that it would cost approx $600 to convert my 120 volt to only 1 outlet going into the cab, I didn't do it due to cost, so still have 2 - 20 amp circuits. Good to hear from you! Herb..

I'm not sure why everyone has their outlet on the floor. Mine is a little higher then the bed at my feet and blows on me. Have you replaced that little temp switch on the side of the box under your bunk? Huge difference. The old switch cycle is off for way too long when the AC is running. I had already wired up an external fuse box instead on top of the generator so Big Rig only had to change the wiring around and put a new breaker box inside the cab for the 60amp breaker.

I'll be stopping in New Braunfels next week to stock up on some spare belts, filters and glow plugs.

I'm not sure why everyone has their outlet on the floor. Mine is a little higher then the bed at my feet and blows on me. Have you replaced that little temp switch on the side of the box under your bunk? Huge difference. The old switch cycle is off for way too long when the AC is running. I had already wired up an external fuse box instead on top of the generator so Big Rig only had to change the wiring around and put a new breaker box inside the cab for the 60amp breaker.

I'll be stopping in New Braunfels next week to stock up on some spare belts, filters and glow plugs.
Yes, went to Freightliner and got the better part!

Thanks for the secrets! I am interested in rerouting my air duct to above the bed as well, i wondered why they wanted your feet to be the most comfortable part of your body. I have the circuit rewire tips on my to do list. I will be making these changes as soon as i get the generator working again. Hope my new capacitor comes soon.

Thanks for the secrets! I am interested in rerouting my air duct to above the bed as well, i wondered why they wanted your feet to be the most comfortable part of your body. I have the circuit rewire tips on my to do list. I will be making these changes as soon as i get the generator working again. Hope my new capacitor comes soon.
You will be surprised at how much better the performance of the a/c, also I have found the best RM shop to be in New Braunfels, Tx, either Chris or Sundance, 830-626-6270, they also have a mechanic, Renee, who is a marvel!!

what part did you get At Freightliner? The a/c cycling switch? Does it have to be a RM part only? Or does somebody else make one that works? I got my new Capacitor in the mail today, to bad my truck is in the shop for repairs till probably next week now....

what part did you get At Freightliner? The a/c cycling switch? Does it have to be a RM part only? Or does somebody else make one that works? I got my new Capacitor in the mail today, to bad my truck is in the shop for repairs till probably next week now....

Yes, the A/C cycle switch. You can just order it from Rigmaster or any Freightliner dealer. I'm sure Herb will reply with the part number from Freightliner. I don't have my notes with me right now.

It's just a switch and ANY one would work. You pick it based on kick on temp and kick off temp. The original one had a spread that was way too big.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread