NEW SPEED LIMIT 55 FOR ALL STATES?

Yes, we have no shortage, today...

There isn't a shortage of oil, gasoline, or, diesel fuel in America. Our refineries are not even operating at full capacity because they don't need to. We are not buying (using) all they are refining. The excess is being exported!! It is being exported to markets that will pay more than our domestic market. If we cut our consumption by 50% the price would not come down. The refiners would simply dock tankers in our ports and ship the stuff to other parts of the world where demand is very high. Meanwhile, although our consumption may be less, we would have to pay "world market" prices.

The Honorable Sen. John Warner, from Virginia, has an alterior motive, I think. Virgina just recently revamped their penal code for traffic offenses. The fines are through the roof, maybe three times more than they were. Habitual offenders were going to really get whacked, until Virginia residence sued because the new laws treated them unfairly, compared to out of state violators. Anyway, the point is, if the national speed limit is reduced to 55mph, there will be a windfall of enforcement revenue collected in Virginia. Hmmm.

I don't see the consumers winning this war. There are too many battle fronts to manage, and the big guns are aimed at our bank accounts.

I got'em beat 'cause my bank account is too small to hit even with a laser sight.lol

I guess what really amazes me, is that we're even debating this issue. Not long ago we were debating how to make the gov. and the oil companies stop the price gouging at the pump. Now, instead of staying on that track, our good "friends" in DC decide that all they have to do is get us to believe that it's us who are at fault, and we should be the ones to be making adjustments and not them.

Why do things have to be to the extreme either one way or another? Why can't we as Americans look to conserve fuel and reduce our oil consumption, and at the same time push the Government to stop putting the screws to us?

Doing "one" single thing isn't going to fix anything. It is going to take a combination of efforts to reduce our dependency on oil as well as put an end to the Citizens being screwed at the hands of Big Oil.

There isn't a shortage of oil, gasoline, or, diesel fuel in America. Our refineries are not even operating at full capacity because they don't need to. We are not buying (using) all they are refining. The excess is being exported!! It is being exported to markets that will pay more than our domestic market. If we cut our consumption by 50% the price would not come down. The refiners would simply dock tankers in our ports and ship the stuff to other parts of the world where demand is very high. Meanwhile, although our consumption may be less, we would have to pay "world market" prices.

That is why I think reducing our consumption is only part of the solution. We still have to get serious about stopping our oil from being exported and being charged such ignorantly high rates for this crap.

We may not be at a shortage now, hell I don't know. It is a natural resource however that needs to be conserved and not wasted before we do get to the point of a shortage.

With all respect Bullwinkle, I think you need to go back and read the entire post of the ones you replied to above. Both of which explained that a national 55mph speed limit would not change things as far as oil companies gouging us to death at the pumps, it would have no effect whatsoever. It will only add to the revenue of the individual states who are doing the ticket writing. I guess I can understand that too, they need to pay for all these new Dodge Chargers they're all getting lately. Anyway, 55mph was tried once, it was a total failure, and it is a farce again this time. There is absolutely no rational justification for it.:banghead:

With all respect Bullwinkle, I think you need to go back and read the entire post of the ones you replied to above. Both of which explained that a national 55mph speed limit would not change things as far as oil companies gouging us to death at the pumps, it would have no effect whatsoever.

With all respect, I did read the entire posts, so don't assume I didn't.

This wasn't just about the prices at the pump, it is about lessening our dependency on oil, which just about everyone agrees needs to be done.

As I have said a few times now, and will say again, I don't think this is "the" only thing that would need to be done, I am saying it might be a piece to the puzzle.

I clearly stated that pressure still needs to be put on the Government to stop allowing us to be gouged at the gas pumps. Pretty sure I have said it a couple times in this thread.

There are several things that need to be done in efforts to reduce our Nations dependency on oil, and reduce the strain that is being placed on consumers at the fuel pump.

I am not just looking at this an a short term fuel price issue, which seems to be the only focal point that comes up in any conversation here regarding fuel. I am looking at the long term effects of fuel consumption. The rate we are using up oil is ridiculous, and slowing vehicles down nationwide would cut the consumption by an huge amount.

You can continue to argue with me in terms of fuel prices here all you want, but I am not in this thread to argue that one point. I am looking at the overall picture, and as far as I am concerned, anything that can significantly cut our consumption of oil can only be a good thing.

I'm not sure why whenever we as a group discuss or debate an issue or a subject, it is just that....a dicussion or a debate, but it seems that lately whenever I choose to Disagree with something you say, or Debate something you post, you see it as an Arguement. In the past I have confronted a few people here for what I considered personal attacks by them. I was in turn chastized for doing so by you, and have not come close to engaging anyone since. I'm not here to argue with you about anything. I initially came to this forum to try and be of some help in getting the Trucking industry back on track. I didn't come here to try to save the world or to try to change the world, and I certainly didn't come here to Argue with anyone, including you, who we all know has Total control over the Forum. I believe everyone here has the God given right to say whatever they please, no matter who it is and in turn, everyone also has the same right to debate their thoughts and statements. If that isn't the case here then I feel there is a major problem that needs to be addressed.

as far as I am concerned, anything that can significantly cut our consumption of oil can only be a good thing.

Unless, that same cut in oil consumption cuts my paycheck, or, causes me to work longer to get it. Then, it would be a bad thing, and, that is exactly what a reduction in the speed limits would do.

I believe everyone here has the God given right to say whatever they please, no matter who it is
I would like to say, if you'd come on over to Lexington, NC and eat some "real" Bar-B-Que life would be so much better and you'd be so happy that you'd agree, instantly, with anything anybody said. :woohoo:

I would like to say, if you'd come on over to Lexington, NC and eat some "real" Bar-B-Que life would be so much better and you'd be so happy that you'd agree, instantly, with anything anybody said. :woohoo:
Now we don't even want to get into the "Best BBQ" debate....lol
I have had some pretty good BBQ over in Thomasville area, but now the very best in N.C. is in a little town of Fountain on Hwy258 at a place called "Mickey's". You put it between your lips, and it'll make one cheek smack the other trying to be the first to get to it....lol. Put it on a Honey/Wheat bun and add some good slaw.......Dayaam that's gooooood.:cheers:
BTW....used to have a really good friend who lived in Thomasville

Unless, that same cut in oil consumption cuts my paycheck, or, causes me to work longer to get it. Then, it would be a bad thing, and, that is exactly what a reduction in the speed limits would do.

In the short term results, driving slower for a company driver means less money per hour.

In the long term, more profit for the company should ultimately mean more money in your pocket.

This is going on the assumption you are a company driver. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

As I mentioned earlier though, for the most part, companies that run their trucks slower seem to pay their drivers more per mile. In my most recent situation as an OTR driver, I was able to make .46/mile with CRETE, but could only drive 65 MPH. With many years experience, I could easily have went other places and drove faster trucks but for less money per mile. After averaging out all the numbers, it made sense for me to take more money per mile and drive a little slower.

Now, this is factoring in a broad assumption that more companies would start paying drivers more per mile as their costs per mile dropped. Some would, some wouldn't. I would hope that drivers would migrate to the companies that treated them properly if all companies were held to the same speed limit.

And again, these are just my thoughts. I am sure there are things I am overlooking.

My whole thought here is that we ultimately need to be lowering our dependency on oil, regardless where it is coming from. But, if the nationwide sentiment is that they don't want to do it if that means any kind of strain on them in the short term, then we as a nation probably are not ready to take that task seriously.

I'm not sure why whenever we as a group discuss or debate an issue or a subject, it is just that....a dicussion or a debate, but it seems that lately whenever I choose to Disagree with something you say, or Debate something you post, you see it as an Arguement. In the past I have confronted a few people here for what I considered personal attacks by them. I was in turn chastized for doing so by you, and have not come close to engaging anyone since.

Ok, so I made a response that wasn't in total agreement with you in this thread, and it resulted in all this personal BS, where now you have to whine about being "chastised"?

You seem to be really interested in pushing some issue that you may have with me publicly. If whatever is bugging you is so important, send me a PM, but keep the BS out of the threads.

I would like to add I believe I caught that the senator is NOT up for re-election.

One side of this if it does happen to go 55 nationally its going to make the 4 wheelers mad and some may be more willing to step up and do something to regain control.

How this 55 nationally is going to work is beyond me for the simple fact that it looks like a death trap to me with everyone going the same speed.

You're exactly right. It was tried before, and failed before. Even the individual states who initially saw an increase in ticket revenue wound up being against it. They realized that in the long run, it cost them more than what they were benefiting from it. There was extra costs for enforcement (more cars, more officers, more court cases, etc.) plus the traffic tieups, and the list goes on and on. I have to agree with Two Timer. This is nothing more than an attempt for Warner to get a few more dollars for the state of Va.. He may need more money to pay for his higher gas expense traveling back and forth to his summer estate.....No matter how you look at it, it is a proven mistake of an idea.

How this 55 nationally is going to work is beyond me for the simple fact that it looks like a death trap to me with everyone going the same speed.

Actually, (and I haven't looked this up yet), I believe the number of accidents went down greatly when the speed limit was reduced to 55, and once it went back up, the number of accidents climbed immediately.

This is just going off of memory though, I haven't looked up any facts on it.

Hmmmm...
1974 — 55 mph National Speed Limit
As an emergency response to the 1973 oil crisis, the U.S. Congress and President Richard Nixon imposed a nationwide 55 mph (90 km/h) speed limit in 1974 by requiring the limit as a condition of each state receiving highway funds, a use of the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution[3].
It was also believed that, based on a drop in fatalities the first year the limit was imposed, the 55 mph limit increased highway safety. Other studies were more mixed on this point, and a Cato Institute report showed that the safety record actually worsened in the first few months of the 55 mph speed limit, suggesting that the fatality drop was a short-lived anomaly that regressed to the mean by 1978.[4] After the oil crisis abated, the 55 mph speed limit was retained mainly due to the possible safety aspect.
In 1986 The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, published a study claiming that the total fuel savings during the national speed limit was no more than 1% overall.[5]

One of the things that is used to in this long time debate is fatalities.

Something that has to be considered when looking at all the facts is that when the speed limit was raised, the National also adopted a new seat belt law which greatly reduced the amount of deaths per accident. This was also the beginning of a greater effort toward awareness of highway safety, which has played a big role in reducing accidents.

Many great things took place in terms of highway safety at the same time that the speed limit was raised back up.

Does anybody have the numbers on fuel consumption?

One of the things that is used to in this long time debate is fatalities.

Something that has to be considered when looking at all the facts is that when the speed limit was raised, the National also adopted a new seat belt law which greatly reduced the amount of deaths per accident. This was also the beginning of a greater effort toward awareness of highway safety, which has played a big role in reducing accidents.

Many great things took place in terms of highway safety at the same time that the speed limit was raised back up.

Does anybody have the numbers on fuel consumption?
Does this help??
TRIS Online: EFFECT OF SPEED ON TRUCK FUEL CONSUMPTION RATES, 1974

Two very informative posts Ironmanwife. Thank you for your input on the subject.:tiphat:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom