Trucking News: New rules require 98% across-the-board compliance starting Tuesday

Mike

Beginning this Tuesday, the financial stakes of shipping to Walmart Inc. (NYSE:WMT) will get appreciably higher.

Effective Sept. 15, the Bentonville, Arkansas-based retail behemoth will require its suppliers and their carriers to deliver all orders as Walmart required and by their “must-arrive-by” dates 98% of the time or be fined 3% of the cost of the goods. The adjustment was disclosed in a Sept. 1 Walmart memo, giving its massive supplier and carrier network just two weeks to adjust.

The change to the program, known in the retailing trade as “on-time, in-full” (OTIF), brings the two components into uniformity for the first time since Walmart launched it in mid-2017. Currently, 95% of all general merchandise orders must be filled exactly as Walmart wants it. For food and consumables, that figure is 97.5%. Talk Business & Politics, an Arkansas online publication that first reported the story, said OTIF compliance on the food and consumables segment has been well below Walmart’s requirements.

The same uniform standards will apply to the time-in-transit portion. For truckload carriers, Walmart currently sets an 87% on-time threshold for a “prepaid” transaction where the supplier sets the delivery terms and pays the freight charges. It imposes a 95% requirement for a “collect transaction,” where the retailer handles the shipping and absolves the shipper of any responsibility should an in-transit issue like a truck breakdown affect delivery schedules.

Less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers may face the most difficult adjustment. Their on-time requirements are currently set at 70%.

What should **** people off even more than this, is how every carrier will happily comply with whatever Walmart demands.

Why? Because they ask for a decent level of service for perishable goods?

Its not different than showing up at Sysco whenever you feel like it. Or Food Lion. Winn Dixie.

See how that works for you.
They want it on time, it’s a reasonable expectation.

don’t expect me to sit on a dock with my doors open and reefer off for more than an hour and your product to have any quality to it.

Yes, they are guilty of that shit too.

What should **** people off even more than this, is how every carrier will happily comply with whatever Walmart demands.
How they will put the demand on the carrier and then turn around and shit on them with detention and holding them on a dock with open doors.

How does Walmart count on-time?

I don't have a problem with it when on time is counted as sitting in line for the shack queue.

I have a problem with it when on time is counted as being scanned in at the shack or at any point once inside the gate.

You set carriers up to fail with long, slow lines caused by slow workers and excessive simultaneous appointment times. And we know it's done on purpose to get that discount.

I have no control over who's in front of me, who can't bump a dock to save their life, who's creeping 5mph to log a fake break, who's waddling in front of me to the office, who's in the office not giving a shit how slow they process inbounds, etc so don't be trying to punish me for those variables.

How does Walmart count on-time?

I don't have a problem with it when on time is counted as sitting in line for the shack queue.

I have a problem with it when on time is counted as being scanned in at the shack or at any point once inside the gate.

You set carriers up to fail with long, slow lines caused by slow workers and excessive simultaneous appointment times. And we know it's done on purpose to get that discount.

I have no control over who's in front of me, who can't bump a dock to save their life, who's creeping 5mph to log a fake break, who's waddling in front of me to the office, who's in the office not giving a shit how slow they process inbounds, etc so don't be trying to punish me for those variables.

One hour either side of your appointment time, youre allowed in the gate. You have to be at the receiving window at your appointment time. None of it is as difficult as people want to whine about.

Refrigerated product goes straight into the cold section of the warehouse. So there's not going to be much of a decline.

As with any grocery facility, sometimes things take a bit of time. Max at a grocery DC can be 5 hours.

And people whine, as you see above.

For contrast, GM is usually in and out in two hours such as at my DC. Also for contrast, in 1996 I was I pulling the tail end of a partial into this very DC at an outside carrier and that was an 8 hour investment. For a partial.

And people whine today.

One hour either side of your appointment time, youre allowed in the gate. You have to be at the receiving window at your appointment time. None of it is as difficult as people want to whine about.

Refrigerated product goes straight into the cold section of the warehouse. So there's not going to be much of a decline.

As with any grocery facility, sometimes things take a bit of time. Max at a grocery DC can be 5 hours.

For contrast, GM is usually in and out in two hours such as at my DC. Also for contrast, in 1996 I was I pulling the tail end of a partial into this very DC at an outside carrier and that was an 8 hour investment. For a partial.

And people whine today.

Is 1996 the last time you were at a Walmart DC as a non Walmart driver without a dedicated lane, priority, and 2 second ingate/outgate?

General merchandise doesn't go bad and grocery isn't THAT time sensitive. Otherwise they'd never do drop and hook, never use trailers for storage, and never have long dock times.

This is Walmart trying to pad its margins on the backs of the transportation industry due to tough competition from Amazon etc. It's so freaking obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s a PC.

The rest of us are crap to them.

glad I got rid of the reefer. Food DC is a joke. They don’t pay enough to take that abuse.
Yeah it's different when you don't have wait in line. When I did them for P&G with USX, I'd be back there in 40th place and all a sudden 15 Walmart trucks would roll up and our line gets stopped completely to get those Walmarts in. They get in fast but even so here comes another batch...and another...and another.

Keep doing that shit and you're gonna have people marked late when they really weren't late.

Sinister says well show up sooner so you're not 40th. Someone's always gonna be 40th. The only thing that happens is the queue starts to build sooner and sooner and sooner as word spreads. And if I just got the load 2 hours ago from the warehouse that's 2 hours away and was an hour early when I popped my brakes and still didn't get in...yeah. Shut. Up.

Last edited by a moderator:
So they are going to charge 3,000 dollars if you’re late with that 100,000 dollar load of TV’s?

And people whine today.
I haven’t been to one in 10 or 12 years, but a leopard doesn’t change it’s spots. One or two people may be considered whining, but when the whole trucking segment complains there is some truth in there.

I haven’t been to one in 10 or 12 years, but a leopard doesn’t change it’s spots. One or two people may be considered whining, but when the whole trucking segment complains there is some truth in there.
I actually got better treatment from Wakefern down in Elizabeth NJ. They let me in before they even officially opened, all by myself. Maybe they figured I couldn't back for shit and needed the parking lot empty. 😃

That's saying something.

Working at night doing drops isn't so bad though. You're usually the only one there at any given time so it's almost like being a sinister. And you get those chill night people who are on that shift for the same reasons you are and you hit them often enough to get to know them.

Yeah it's different when you don't have wait in line. When I did them for P&G with USX, I'd be back there in 40th place and all a sudden 15 Walmart trucks would roll up and our line gets stopped completely to get those Walmarts in. They get in fast but even so here comes another batch...and another...and another.

Keep doing that shit and you're gonna have people marked late when they really weren't late.

Sinister says well show up sooner so you're not 40th. Someone's always gonna be 40th. The only thing that happens is the queue starts to build sooner and sooner and sooner as word spreads. And if I just got the load 2 hours ago from the warehouse that's 2 hours away and was an hour early when I popped my brakes and still didn't get in...yeah. Shut. Up.
Tazz almost immediately became a Walmart cheerleader when he started working there.

But @Sinister is capable of having an independent thought. So he didn't immediately turn into a zombie and bow to the will of the Bentonville cult...

But I see he's beginning to.

Sad.

😔

Tazz almost immediately became a Walmart cheerleader when he started working there.

But @Sinister is capable of having an independent thought. So he didn't immediately turn into a zombie and bow to the will of the Bentonville cult...

Sad.

😔
Don't get me wrong, I too neener neener at the suckers who gotta wait when I don't. I neener neenered all those schlubs at Wakefern (quietly, to myself). Because I no sooner got parked, walked in, was assigned a door and told to go ahead, walked out, and pulled in. Like a dick. 👍

But I also recognize that it's okay for them to hate me and bitch about their plight. Just like I scowl at the Sinisters as they pass and neener neener at me.

😃

That's not anyone's fault but your own carrier for not setting things up so you can get in and out quicker. If your carrier isn't interested in ita trucks moving in and put of places quicker, well, sorry about your luck.

If Grocery is dropped its not sitting long.

Walmart doesn't need to pad its pockets on the backs of everyone else. That's so stupid it's obvious.

Appointments can be rescheduled in order to avoid late deliveries should something happen in transit.

Again, none of this is any different than delivering to any other major company which has DCs.

Sad.

😔

You're not even a productive member of society, and your opinions mean less than zero.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom