New hours of service rules released by FMCSA

Although I don't agree with everything OOIDA does, I do know that its my dues that pays for their lobbyists in Washington to hopefully keep me from getting screwed and more than necessary. At least it should help to keep the ATA at bay.

I think OOIDA membership is somewhere around 30,000 members which is pretty pathetic when you consider there re over 4 million truck drivers. In fact, I think the American Motorcyclist Association and the Porsche Club of America have larger membership roles, with only a fraction of the population to draw on. I think the Studebaker drivers Club has more members and they haven't even made a car in 40 years.

Have been a member for longer than I care to remember.... have pulled my arse out of a jam on several occasions... wouldn't leave home without them backing me.

30 minutes in the middle of the day. What's the big deal? It takes on average 20 minutes to fuel up a truck, probably 15 minutes if you don't have a reefer to top off. Park the truck and go take a **** or get coffee or something. No big deal.

Taking a **** and getting a cup of coffee is off duty time.

And it never takes me the full 15 minutes to fuel my truck. But I log in 15 minute increments, so that is what I show on my log.

It has already been figured. There will be a small difference due to the final rule, look up BYP's post in this thread.

Terry, I have re-read this entire thread twice, and BYP has not posted anything that will explain why it will take 52 hours to legally complete a 34 hour reset.

And [MENTION=9359]trucker99[/MENTION] has yet to answer either.

The new rule, which will become "final" on July 1, 2013, simply states that the 34 hour reset must cover the period of 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. on two consecutive days.

The restart must include two periods between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. [home
terminal time].

So a driver finishes up a day of driving at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday. 34 hours later on Monday morning at 5:00 a.m. the driver has completed a reset. As I am generally a Solar Powered Trucker, that is how I usually accomplish resets.

Show me how that equates to 52 hours.

Taking a **** and getting a cup of coffee is off duty time.

And it never takes me the full 15 minutes to fuel my truck. But I log in 15 minute increments, so that is what I show on my log.

When running a Tyson-imposed schedule, my duty status has nothing to do with it. They don't allow time for anything but driving, plus a 10 hr break for every 11 hrs of driving en route.

[MENTION=3730]Racer X 69[/MENTION] I'm on my phone, but figure it when you get home at 0100, then do a 15 minute PTI. The next 23 hours and 45 minutes do not count.

As I am generally a Solar Powered Trucker, that is how I usually accomplish resets.

@Racer X 69 I'm on my phone, but figure it when you get home at 0100, then do a 15 minute PTI. The next 23 hours and 45 minutes do not count.

That does not mean that it is impossible to complete a reset in more than 34 hours. All that means is that by the luck of the draw, it may take more than that if a driver chooses to take it that way. You still have the option to keep bumping your 70. Nothing says you have to take a reset.

When running a Tyson-imposed schedule, my duty status has nothing to do with it. They don't allow time for anything but driving, plus a 10 hr break for every 11 hrs of driving en route.

I refuse to let anyone impose unreasonable and unattainable schedules on me. The new reals also require a 30 minute break after 8 hours of driving.

Also, at least for those of us who do flatbed work, there is still the requirement to show a load check every 3 hours or 150 miles. That provides ample opportunity to include time for personal needs.

And a company like Tyson will have a rigorous safety program in place. I'd be willing to bet they have those signs up at every location that read, "This Department Has Worked 'XX' Days Without A Lost Time Accident." Things like that are very important to companies. If I was moving a load for them and they asked me to operate in an unsafe manner, it would be a simple thing to point out that their freight can arrive in a reasonably safe manner, or it may not arrive at all.

When you point out to people how ignorant their expectations are with regard to their own safety program, they really have no choice but to accept your terms.

That does not mean that it is impossible to complete a reset in more than 34 hours. All that means is that by the luck of the draw, it may take more than that if a driver chooses to take it that way. You still have the option to keep bumping your 70. Nothing says you have to take a reset.

Now you are starting to sound like a politician, no wonder you want to be president!

The company I work for insists I get a 34/36 hour reset every chance I get!

The law that goes into effect July 2013 says you have to have two periods between 1 am and 5 am to qualify for a 34 hours restart. If you start the 34 at 1:15, the first 24 hours won't have the full 1 am to 5 am, so that makes it it two more days before you get the full 1 am to 5 am.

Thank you Mr. President

The law that goes into effect July 2013 says you have to have two periods between 1 am and 5 am to qualify for a 34 hours restart. If you start the 34 at 1:15, the first 24 hours won't have the full 1 am to 5 am, so that makes it it two more days before you get the full 1 am to 5 am.

So what you're saying is that it's possible to have a reset have to be longer than 34 but it is not generally going to be that way.
The new rules are stupid but the way drivers are freaking out about them is equally stupid.

But I have learned over the many years that I have been out there that most truck drivers are not happy unless they are whining about something.

And a company like Tyson will have a rigorous safety program in place. I'd be willing to bet they have those signs up at every location that read, "This Department Has Worked 'XX' Days Without A Lost Time Accident." Things like that are very important to companies. If I was moving a load for them and they asked me to operate in an unsafe manner, it would be a simple thing to point out that their freight can arrive in a reasonably safe manner, or it may not arrive at all.

When you point out to people how ignorant their expectations are with regard to their own safety program, they really have no choice but to accept your terms.

Waterloo, IA
Ottawa, IL
Holcomb, KS

These 3 Tyson facilities (and I'm sure there are more) have a policy. They do NOT call a driver's cell phone or knock on the truck when a load is ready. And they're never ready as planned. We're supposed to walk into the guard shack periodically and ask, or call some 800 number and press 1 for English. As a result, drivers waiting on a load can't use that time to sleep. But if a load is late delivering, they raise hell with the carrier. On a load that has to deliver at 6AM in Chicago, at Waterloo if they say it'll be loaded by 5PM the day before, it'll be loaded when you barely have drive time left to get it there. And you can't say "oh, I'm too tired". Yes, legally you can, but they'll call the carrier and raise hell. Then the crap rolls down to the driver, and then dispatch goes through the e-log, says "you were there for 11 hours, you had plenty of time to sleep, why didn't you get any sleep?". You explain, but it falls on deaf (and ignorant) ears.

Tyson is the main reason I don't want to drive for my current company any more. They've become Tyson's little lap-dog.

What??? We're currently allowed to operate 82 hours a week?? Whaaaat?

168 hrs a week total

70 / 14 = 5 days or 120 hours total, .... + 34 = 154 hrs. 168 hrs minus 154 is 14, + 70 = 84 hours.

I guess theoretically, with five 14 hour shifts, all logged either driving or on duty, then a restart, we could operate 84 hours in a 7 day period with current HOS.

I got a better idea.

How about allowing 70 hours in 5 days, then requiring 56 hours off. That's two full days plus 8 hours.

70 in 5 and 56 off sounds like a good idea

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread