Never Leave Home Without It

Road Dust

Takes a little sunshine
I remember when I was finishing up cdl school and trying to imagine what to take on the truck with me, having such limited storage.. I read a lot of posts on trucking boards and tried to apply them to what I thought would work for me. So now, I thought I would start this thread on behalf of new drivers everywhere :)

What five things would you never leave home without?

My five would be:
1. Map/atlas
2. pens (definitely more than one)
3. clothes/hygiene (of course)
4. tire guage
5. flashlight

(wanted to throw in gloves and a good book but limited to 5, lol)

that's the problem one is always adding to that list. sadly, when we have to clean out that truck, THAT is when we wished we didn't have such a LONG list!!!

i think that from my personal experience, i took a "soft-sided" suit case(??) like a big gym bag(??) and a brief case. that was pretty much it, travel light.

2 pairs of jeans

2 work shirts

one extra pair of shoes

10 pairs of underwear, socks, all rolled up.

towel

soap, shave kit, toothpaste/brush, extra roll of toilet paper (all this fits in a shave bag)

briefcase, maps (atlas), calculator, pens, pencils, ruler, flashlight/batteries,

that's about it.

for a newbie, some items can be deleted, like the brief case for now. the pens/pencils will fit into the carry on bag.

Good question.......been awhile, so gotta think....hmmmmm...but the packing always contained the following:

1. condoms
2. money for more condoms
3. cooler for beer
4. money for beer
5. clean underware

What five things would you never leave home without?

My five would be:
1. Map/atlas (dont have one)
2. pens (definitely more than one) (have more than I need)
3. clothes/hygiene (of course) (have more than I need)
4. tire guage (dont have one)
5. flashlight (have one)

3 out of 5

that's the problem one is always adding to that list. sadly, when we have to clean out that truck, THAT is when we wished we didn't have such a LONG list!!!

I've had three trucks since I started getting paid to drive a truck.

It took me all day to move from the first one to the second one. I parked them side by side in the companies yard. I started at dawn, and left the yard around midninght.

I moved out of the second one the Sunday after last Thanksgiving in preparation for the hip replacement surgery I had scheduled for December 5.

After I recovered, and the company finally got me a replacement truck assignment, I took the truck to my house, parked it in front of my shop and spent a whole week moving into it.

I don't even want to think about how much time it will take me to move out of this thing!

1. Map/atlas (I use Streets And Trips on a laptop, with a GPS antenna. I never get lost.)
2. pens (definitely more than one) (I have one pen, and multiple refills for it.)
3. clothes/hygiene (of course) (Yeah, I have clothes, those all in one laundry sheets, and a shower bag with shaving stuff, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and shampoo. I even have extra towels for the odd time I may not get to a shower and have to wash up at a rest area.)
4. tire guage (Yep. And a bunch of tools too.)
5. flashlight (Mine has an LED bulb. Still on the same batteries after almost 3 years!)

Sorry, but I saw what Tim did, and well, Monkey see, Monkey do!

1. Keurig machine
2. Inverter for Keurig machine
3. Boxes of K-cups for Keurig machine
4. Jugs of water or Keurig machine
5. Coffee mug for use with Keurig machine

1. Keurig machine
2. Inverter for Keurig machine
3. Boxes of K-cups for Keurig machine
4. Jugs of water or Keurig machine
5. Coffee mug for use with Keurig machine

Id rather have Cheap Foldgers than keurig coffee. They always have a hint of plastic to them. A French press would be a better investment. Sometimes I get more excited for good coffee when I get closer to home than I do to actually be home. Nice little coffee stand on US 95 about 60 or so miles North of I84... Best coffee I've ever had was from there.

In fact, when the wife and I were crunching numbers we realized I would be spending so much less on coffee that we included that savings in our budget. Kinda like gettin a couple more pennies per mile... Per say

As for the water, i get it straight from a spring. Tastes much better than most of the swimming pool water everyone else in the free world uses.

You use that to sipe your tires?

Nah...I just wave it around the internet on occasion.

And since I have my cards with me, I can buy another coffee cup.

And, if Micabay is drinking similar water to what I get out of the ground at my dad's house in Oregon, he's right. Much better than chlorinated tap water or flavorless bottled water.

Id rather have Cheap Foldgers than keurig coffee. They always have a hint of plastic to them. A French press would be a better investment. Sometimes I get more excited for good coffee when I get closer to home than I do to actually be home. Nice little coffee stand on US 95 about 60 or so miles North of I84... Best coffee I've ever had was from there.

In fact, when the wife and I were crunching numbers we realized I would be spending so much less on coffee that we included that savings in our budget. Kinda like gettin a couple more pennies per mile... Per say

As for the water, i get it straight from a spring. Tastes much better than most of the swimming pool water everyone else in the free world uses.

I can't drink Aquafina water cuz it tastes like pool water.

I can't drink the stuff that comes out of the ground here cuz it's full of sulfur and rust and probably poisonous fertilizer from the fields.

I don't drink Folgers coffee because it doesn't seem like it even has any caffeine. It's not a bad tasting coffee though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread