nervous getting back out on road

missjhawk

I got hurt 11/2/12 on the job I was in MD right after the hurricane hit I messed my knee up getting out trk at off network gas station I will be off work 4 ova a year I should be cleared by Jan or Feb I'm nervous because what if I have forgotten how 2 do the job my boyfriend told me 2 work with him but I don't think I could stand 2.be around him all time I just don't no what 2 think or do I been driving 4 2years I got alot of offers 4 jobs bcaz I'm not going back 2 my company caz the way they treated me during my injury experience

It's like riding a bike. You knew the mechanics of operating a truck, they will come back to you. Just stay calm when you go to work somewhere.
No, Sir trucking is like riding a bike because , You can't make money doing either one. lol. But seriously it is like riding a bike the O/P will be back in the groove in no time.

All of this advice and no one sees the problem. Plenty to be nervous about. It is hard to find a driving job where a company actually cares if you live or die or not......

All of this advice and no one sees the problem. Plenty to be nervous about. It is hard to find a driving job where a company actually cares if you live or die or not......

That's mainly the culture these days..... and it goes far beyond "politics" too.

The whole culture HAS changed. I take it for granted now that most companies DON'T care. Yes, there are fewer now, but there weren't that many to begin with either.......
@missjhawk , if all you lack is confidence, consider this.
You already drove a big truck for two years.
How many of the 300 million in this country ever did it once, or even could?

The whole culture HAS changed. I take it for granted now that most companies DON'T care. Yes, there are fewer now, but there weren't that many to begin with either.......
@missjhawk , if all you lack is confidence, consider this.
You already drove a big truck for two years.
How many of the 300 million in this country ever did it once, or even could?

ok I get that the hours of service has changed since the last time I drove what's with the 30 min break I don't get it I got at letter from the company that im on med leave from told me that when I return to make sure I follow the 30 min break and they said what he penalties are or will be they talking to me like I did the 30 min break I don't get it. how will the 34hr break work caz the company I work for do mandatory 34hr break when I was working

You now have to take a 30 minute break (off duty) some time between 5 to 8 hrs On Duty time (14 hours). Does not affect your 11 hrs driving unless you've already burnt your 3 hrs of On Duty Not Driving (14 - 11).

So, in effect you now have 13.5 hours per day.

You cannot drive past 8 hours from going on duty without logging 30 minutes either off duty or in the sleeper. Best bet is just take a 30 minute break between 6 and 8 hours from first going on duty for your shift. You are allowed to be off duty any time the truck is stopped, which means you may be off duty at customers, whether you're allowed to leave or not.

Best bet is just to take a 30 minute break once you reach the point when you have less than 8 hours & 29 minutes remaining on your 11. If you take the 30 min. break any sooner than that, you'll have to take two of them on that shift if you plan to run your full 11.

If there is any live-loading/unloading that day, and it's towards the middle of your shift, you won't need to take a 30 because if you're backed into the dock & you're hanging out in your truck for at least 30 minutes, you can log that as "sleeper berth".

Best bet is just to take a 30 minute break once you reach the point when you have less than 8 hours & 29 minutes remaining on your 11. If you take the 30 min. break any sooner than that, you'll have to take two of them on that shift if you plan to run your full 11.

If there is any live-loading/unloading that day, and it's towards the middle of your shift, you won't need to take a 30 because if you're backed into the dock & you're hanging out in your truck for at least 30 minutes, you can log that as "sleeper berth".
We are allowed to log that off duty now, as well. Even Swift (finally) recognizes that. It was part of this volley of rule changes, but it went into effect way before the 30 minute and reset changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread