Advice on getting back on the road after 8 years.

GAnthony. I was on comp for a few years. I believe your right. I did lose a good portion of use in my left arm as I was in a cast and brace for 5 years. I had to have extensive therapy to get my strength back. I dont think it will affect my job, but at this point I'm not sure.

GAnthony. I was on comp for a few years. I believe your right. I did lose a good portion of use in my left arm as I was in a cast and brace for 5 years. I had to have extensive therapy to get my strength back. I dont think it will affect my job, but at this point I'm not sure.
i have a very good friend in NV and he was basically crippled by an accident, when he was trying to pull the tandem slide, it jerked back on him and crushed his had. he now has something called RSD i think is what it is called. but anyway's, he settled after a long time of treatments, and as such, had to sign off any more rights to any more claims against his company, and from that he also signed a resignation form. as such as it is now, he is unemployable, but since he did sign off, his former employer would not have to take him back, no matter his excellent work record. he is now "damaged goods" and if he were to go back to work (for instance) he would be a HUGE liability. (with his former employer)

so you may very well be considered "damaged goods" by Pyle ( a rather good company too in fact), for them to take a chance on you anymore. actually, they could have fired you while you were out of work, recovering, and you may not have been aware of that, as Pyle is not a union shop.

so i'd at least consider a short refresher course, usually 40 hours (about 1 week) at what it'll cost you, then print up a certificate of completion for you, and hopefully the doors will open up for you.

of course, a potential employer may very well ask, what happened......etc,etc..

be VERY prepared to be turned down, as again, you are "damaged goods"

Doesn't matter. A company may have had trouble with people in the past with no recent experience and the insurance company told them no more! The insurance company makes the rules about hiring, not the trucking company.

Sounds to me like Trucking needs Affordable "LIABILITY" Act...the ALA...

And we could "Subsidize" those smaller companies who can't "afford" it with those "Exchanges"

GAnthony I believe you are right. That's why I didn't attempt to go back to Pyle. I do also agree it is a good company. I have to communicate one thing I have learned. If you see something unsafe you not only have to address it to dispatch and terminal manager, but you have to refuse it! I saw this accident waiting to happen addressed it to management, but did not refuse. If they had fired me I would have only had to find a new job. There are plenty of jobs out there! You get hurt and it can affect you for life. I never burned bridges. I have been hired back by a previous employer. They are an awesome company. I am very fortunate. I just am concerned my injuries will not affect me. I appreciate the replies from all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread