Need Help

DeepSouth

Hi all! Hope everyone is being safe on the road!

I was hoping someone would help me a bit. I have a 2002 international flatbed and just getting started in the trucking business. I’ve signed up and pay for all the load boards (directfreight & getloaded) but it seems all the loads that are posted there are for 45k+ loads. Is there a load board for smaller items that need hauling that anyone knows of? I plan to keep moving up in class as I’m able but for now I have a young family and starting out and just trying to support them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God bless and be safe!

Richie

Thanks for your reply. Yea, Uber freight is only dealing with dry van and reefers and DAT is mostly large loads. I haven’t tried convoy but going to check it out now.
Thanks

Hi all! Hope everyone is being safe on the road!

I was hoping someone would help me a bit. I have a 2002 international flatbed and just getting started in the trucking business. I’ve signed up and pay for all the load boards (directfreight & getloaded) but it seems all the loads that are posted there are for 45k+ loads. Is there a load board for smaller items that need hauling that anyone knows of? I plan to keep moving up in class as I’m able but for now I have a young family and starting out and just trying to support them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God bless and be safe!

Richie
All I can do is wish ya the "best" but plenty of others here can give ya much better advice so keep checking back..

And eh let us know how it goes

Will do my man. I’ve worked in the oilfield for ten years but got laid off and just trying to support my family. I’ve been thinking about it hard and I already have the flatbed medium duty truck but looks like I would never run out of work if I had a heavy duty and flatbed trailer. I may try to see about getting a used rig and try goin that route....I dunno. Just need to do something. Thanks for the best wishes. Be safe out there.

Will do my man. I’ve worked in the oilfield for ten years but got laid off and just trying to support my family. I’ve been thinking about it hard and I already have the flatbed medium duty truck but looks like I would never run out of work if I had a heavy duty and flatbed trailer. I may try to see about getting a used rig and try goin that route....I dunno. Just need to do something. Thanks for the best wishes. Be safe out there.
No family anymore but still got bills and property taxes to pay ..

Not to mention eating and I like to treat myself and sometimes have little of fun..or take a trip somewhere and it all Co$ts more $$$ more and more $$$ more.

So I gotta keep "earning" too

I heard that brother! I just received my operating authority so I’m doing good right this minute! I’ve got to get my dot and mail numbers next.

Question, being I’m leaving towards buying me a used rig with flatbed, will I still be able to get loads off these job boards being that I’m new and own my own shit or do they require that I’m going thru a carrier? I’ve got my bonds and insurance but just curious if that could be a problem I run into.

I heard that brother! I just received my operating authority so I’m doing good right this minute! I’ve got to get my dot and mail numbers next.

Question, being I’m leaving towards buying me a used rig with flatbed, will I still be able to get loads off these job boards being that I’m new and own my own **** or do they require that I’m going thru a carrier? I’ve got my bonds and insurance but just curious if that could be a problem I run into.
With your own authority, you are a motor carrier. Yes, you'll need to book your own freight, and most of us use the load boards. You'll probably have some brokers tell you they can't use you because you're "new." Convoy likes to work with new entrants.

You do know you'll have to hire yourself, maintain all the employee driver paperwork, do a drug test, etc, on yourself, yes?

Yea but thanks for asking bc I’m sure there’s something I’m forgetting.
Now that I have my operating authority, how hard is it to get dot and Mc numbers? It cost me $600 dollars to get my authority so hope it doesn’t cost that for these numbers!!😒

Oh, and when you said I had to hire myself, what do I file? Just my resume or do I have to make an application and fill out for my files?

Now that I have my operating authority, how hard is it to get dot and Mc numbers? It cost me $600 dollars to get my authority so hope it doesn’t cost that for these numbers!!😒

You can do that online at the FMCSA website.

Oh, and when you said I had to hire myself, what do I file? Just my resume or do I have to make an application and fill out for my files?
You need to fill out a job application (you can get a generic form online), pull a copy of your MVR, do a prehire drug screen, start a driver file on yourself. Maintenance files on your equipment. File process agent paperwork. Sign on a drug testing consortium. You can do this all yourself, and probably not spend more than $300.

Join OOIDA or NASTC - they can help you with a lot of this stuff for just the membership fee, and point you in the right direction. As member of one of these organizations, you can always call them, and get some professional guidance, plus you have access to all of their online resources. Lots of it is available to anyone without even being a member. For example, the OOIDA guidebook below can be downloaded just by following the link

Getting Your Own Authority PDF

This sounds difficult and complicated, but its really not. Most of it is filling out some online forms, and saving a hardcopy. Get a milk crate file box, some hanging file folders and tabs, and some manilla file folders. Organize the paperwork, and save it. That will put you 90% of the way for your new entrant inspection by the FMCSA.

Last edited:
If you have authority you already have a dot and mc number.

You're going to want to get really familiar with this particular section of the fmcsa website.

If you paid someone for your operating authority and asking how to get your Dot and mc number, someone hasn't explained what they did for you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread