Necessary items for new drivers

Lado

Hi, my name Lado, I just got hired up in Chicago to start training. What are the most necessary items I must take with me? Thank you for your time :)

Reactions: AAA
I had a list, but I lost it...

I know you can't take much on an OTR training, but a clean towel, motion sickness meds, ear plugs, (shower kit) comes to mind. Any major items, you can probably ask the mentor. I also like to carry a mask (it filters out debris and smell), and eye mask if you can't sleep well. Search for many list on this forum, I'm sure there are other very useful items I forgot. (I concentrate mostly on my personal items, nothing to do with work items like gloves, flash light, etc.) Pillow, blankets and other stuff may come with the truck as the mentor may have a spare set.

Go with a sleeping bag, because you will be hot bunking on the lower berth when moving. Forget sheets until you're in your own truck. Don't forget a pillow.

Shower clogs!!! Unless you enjoy athletes foot.

Go long on underwear and socks, not so much on outer wear. Leave anything in light colors at home - lithium grease stains don't come out.

Don't forget something warmer to wear, gloves, warm hat. It may be nice now, but it's already snowing at higher elevations.

Storage space is really limited in trucks, so what can't be got into your limited cabinet space, you'll be sleeping with on the top bunk when the truck isn't moving.

Personal electronics - a smart phone and charger can be used for most online tasks. WiFi coverage ain't the best, so I usually recommend you get a good national coverage plan - with a serious network to support it.

Bank account that has online banking services! You need to get your settlements on direct deposit to a bank account to avoid paying huge ATM charges, Western Union fees, etc. Getting it sent to your home in a check means you won't have access to your money. I put $150 on the personal account side of my fuel card, and get the rest on direct deposit. Having some cash on hand is necessary to pay for cash tolls, scale tickets, and coffee money.

Most of your bills can be dealt with online, which is really convenient. If you have to mail something, make sure you have stamps. Many truck stops don't csrry them any longer.

Hi, my name Lado, I just got hired up in Chicago to start training. What are the most necessary items I must take with me? Thank you for your time :)
Lado,

Here are 5 essentials for your first day on the job:
1. Extra pair of clothes
2. GPS
3. Sunglasses/Raincoat
4. Emergency Kit
5. Food

Good luck on the new job!

Fleet Trailer Team

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread